1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommend an octave pedal...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Mar 3, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Looking for an octave pedal that can do sub -1 and -2, but it doesn't necessarily need to have +1 as I have that in a fuzz octave / octavia pedal. Looking for something that can do the subs mostly - I really like what -2 can do, thats important.

If you have a favorite and/or recommendation, please share.

Thanks,
    BHM

2. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

TC Electronics Sub-n-Up is the only octave pedal I've every owned. This is not an effect that I use a lot. But it seems to have a lot of adaptability (it does two subs and one up) and it also uses their Toneprint feature, which is very powerful. Not only can you download pre-set patches directly through your guitar pickups, you can also get the software to make your own on a computer.

And it's not a crazy expensive pedal at all. Can't really say how it sounds compared to other octave pedals. But that effect is a hard one to get right and a lot of pedals on the market have not gotten it right. Polyphonic is tough to pull off in a convincing way, I guess.

4. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

You could look for a Pearl OC-7. Completely analogue, which is cool, but you will be limited to one note at a time. You get two octaves down, but the lowest octave is pretty weak. Fun to play with, but I'm sure there are more versatile pedals if you are not an analogue purist like me.

5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Do you feel like it takes away from the "organic" or natural feel of the guitar in anyway? Tough question to answer I suppose, but I think its a question about how good it does with the signal as a digital pedal....

yeah, I'm torn on going with pure analog and its limitations vs digital and a lot more capabilities, like the Sub'n'Up. For me its about how it sounds/feels that matters and these octave pedals just aren't a widely used commodity, so you can't find them in stores like an SD-1 or something like that to try out...

6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

You can get these for under $100. It can handle polyphonic chords, and it has the Toneprint shizz. To my ears there are 'artifacts' on the top end though. But about as cheap as poly pitch-shifting gets...

[​IMG]

4pickupguy and JuneauMike like this.
  7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Not really sure. I think an octave pedal is anathema to "organic" and part of the appeal is the anti-guitar nature of it. Like bit crushers or filtering effects. I suppose if I listen hard enough I can hear a Strat in there, vs. a tele. But I had no delusions that this pedal would make my 6 string sound like an authentic 12 string. I rather just buy an authentic 12-string for that. Weird pedals are fun, and I can make this thing weird. And if I'm more in the mood for tastefully weird, then I use the blend knob.

8. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

I've owned a mid-'90s DOD Octoplus, TC SubNUp, TC Nether, and EHX Pitch Fork. I have learned that I dislike the sound of polyphonic tracking, even though sometimes it's a necessary evil. My favorite, the Octoplus, is the least reliable of the bunch. The TC Nether seems to be an analog tracker, and sounds better than the SubNUp and the Pitch Fork, although the feature set is better on the poly trackers.

bluesholyman likes this.
  9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Electro Harmonix Pitch Fork. They track very well.

bluesholyman and 4pickupguy like this.
  10. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Donner Harmonic Square — because there’s a cheap Donner pedal for everything.

Gaz_ likes this.
  11. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

That's the one I like, lots of options, and the ability to wet/dry! And it's small, and cheap. It's a complete win.

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Great pedal!! Everything tracks flawlessly and the tone of the lower octaves is super clear and punchy. The bass player has one too and unison lines, bass/octave up me/octave down with a bit of drive, sounds monster cool.

studio1087 likes this.
  13. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I use the Octaver inside the Eventide h9 maxx. not cheap but for the money I get lots of other things too that I use a lot.

Octaver™ creates a pair of sub-harmonics, one an octave below the note that you’re playing and the other two octaves below. It also adds an Octave FUZZ generator. The sub-harmonics can be filtered and the filters modulated by the input audio level. Octaver is a parallel (dual mono) rather than stereo effect.

bluesholyman likes this.
  14. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

EHX Pitchfork

4pickupguy likes this.
  15. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm using an OC-5 on my bass board right now -- I really like it. it is also cool that it has a switch for bass and guitar - depending on what you are using :)

bluesholyman likes this.
  16. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

It might not be what you're looking for, but I'll just put it out there anyway...

The DigiTech Whammy can pitch shift to 1 and 2 octaves up and 1, 2 and 3 octaves down. It can harmonize 1 octave up or down, but there is no level control for the harmony settings. It's always a 50/50 mix of the wet/dry signals, unlike a more traditional octave pedal. There's also plenty of other harmony and pitch shifting settings, very fun to mess around with. And the "detune" settings, which are a sort of chorus effect. The newest incarnation of the pedal, the Whammy 5, has a "chords" setting which makes it polyphonic. I've only used the 3rd and 4th gen, which is only monophonic, but I can say that they have *perfect* tracking. I would expect the new chords setting to also track as well.

17. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve wanted a Mayer Octavia pedal for some time.

Surprised that I didn’t see it mentioned so far.

Kind of pricey but I’ll probably buy a used one this year.

18. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

$_57.jpg
    The Mooer MEP-PS Pitch Step is a polyphonic pitch shifter and harmoniser, conveniently built into a small expression pedal for real time control.

The integrated features and control options make this pedal very flexible and useful for many different styles of music and applications. Pedal steel bends, whammy shifting, artificial tremolo dives, fat octave harmonies are just a few of the possibilities. Open up your expressive side with the Mooer Pitch Step.

Features:

• Fast and accurate polyphonic pitch shifting
    • Optional dry signal for harmonisation
    • Customizable pitch adjustment for -OCT/+OCT
    • Adjustable shifting range and direction
    • Includes MOOERs unique pressure sensing technology
    • Input: 1/4 mono audio jack (Impedance: 1M Ohms)
    • Output: 1/4 mono audio jack (Impedance: 100 Ohms)
    • Dimensions (HxWxD): 154.5 x 73 x 53 mm
    • Weight: 540g
    • DC 9V Centre Negative Power Supply (sold separately)

19. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Micro POG is fun, easy and tracks great! 3 knobs; dry(mix), sub and up. I’ll usually have both going to some extent but it’s fun to add a fuzz and got hi, low or both! Not sure if the nano is any different. I’ll never part with mine.

20. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

This right here! I bought mine on a whim (not cheap- around $220), but I have found that I use it WAY more than I expected. It gives you three octaves- one up, one down, and the regular signal, and you can mix the level of the three. Very nice pedal.

micro pog.jpg

Festofish likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.