1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommend an inexpensive Spray Gun?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by LowThudd, Nov 2, 2017.

1. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

DrASATele likes this.
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

I use those, and since I use them so rarely, I toss them after I use them.

Saves money and time cleaning them.

mgreene likes this.
  3. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Several folks I know use those as disposable guns.

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

yep.

Do you have a very large compressor, a well-ventilated work area and is overspray OK?

Are you going to spray lacquer? If so it's a bad choice. Even the cheap (I think it's $129) Earlex HVLP Harbor Freight sells would be FAR better.

If you use the forum search function you can find the answer to your question inabout 500 threads regarding "cheap/inexpensive/home HVLP spray systems/gun/stuff" -

But the detail gun can only be used (well) if you have a large enough compressor, can deal with lots of overspray and know how to spray with conventional equipment.

It will NOT give you a nice smooth surface unless you really know what you're doing. That type of gun is used for auto finishing with large shop compressors, as you need a TON of air and high pressure - which you don't want when spraying guitar parts.

dogmeat likes this.
  5. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I have the exact one in the OP. Probably sprayed at least a couple of gallons of lacquer with it, plus at least 10 gallons of enamel. All with a 2hp compressor.
    Even done sunbursts with it.
    No complaints.

7. Larkins

Larkins Tele-Meister

I bought one. Used it for color two or three times and then it stopped working. Got my money’s worth for sure.
    TCP sells one like it for $30 that has lasted a lot longer.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Get a moisture trap that mounts right on to the gun, like the disposable ones HF sells. Hot air coming out of the compressor holds the water in vapor, which moisture traps can't handle very well. After the air has passed through the hose and cooled, the water condenses into droplets, which the moisture trap can deal with.

koolaide and dogmeat like this.
  9. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

This is what I got. I assumed that would work. https://www.harborfreight.com/oilwater-separator-68246.html

I guess I should have got this instead? https://www.harborfreight.com/disposable-inline-moisture-filter-68224.html

10. R. Stratenstein

Either one should work, I like the smaller one right at the gun for less clumsiness, because I also have a small pressure regulator and gauge at the gun, too.

I am anal about air quality, so I also have a larger oil/water trap on the compressor; it does catch a little water, but it's amazing how much gets to the filter at the gun.

I have used the detail gun you posted in your OP for some time now and am happy with it. Cleaning seems pretty quick and easy, mainly dump out paint, couple of rinses with solvent, then spray solvent until no paint comes, disassemble and wipe everything off. Fast flash off of lacquer thinner makes it go quick.

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

12. R. Stratenstein

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Thanks. Much appreciated.

I do realize the limitations I am dealing with, but I also understand that as long as I am not spraying for long, I shouldn't run out of air.

14. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

you can buy a bottom end Sharp or DeVilbiss gun for a 100 bucks or so. even if you pay more, buy a good one. if you never use it again you are money ahead.... and, its worth something, not like a HF

15. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

DrASATele likes this.
  16. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I'm late to the party, I use that HF small detail gun all the time too. It's o.k. with my pancake compressor better with my large compressor. If you take the time to really dial it in you can lay down nice glossy coats.

17. Beatbx

Beatbx Tele-Meister

That big gun requires a lot of air to operate properly. If you’re using a smaller compressor (<21 gallons), I recommend using the op gun or the $35 silver touch up gun they sell, both of which I’ve used successfully with a pancake comp. It will be running the whole time though:)

18. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Just found some Minwax Poly in the garage. Is that close enough to nitro to use for practice?

19. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I used to teach people to spray with water. tape newspaper to the wall, load the cup with water, wet the paper without making it run. that gives you experience with the feel of making a pass. once the gun is set, you control the fluid application with the speed of your pass and the distance from the work

fwiw, I'm an aircraft mechanic. I used to do a lot of paint work. I've sprayed a ton of Butyrate and nitrate based dopes which are very similar to lacquer

Ayrton, Beatbx and bender66 like this.
  20. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

beatBX already pointed out that the item 47016 HVLP gun requires a lot of air. Any gun that's an HVLP "conversion" gun running off of a compressor requires quite a big compressor - the rating/requirement for that model seems to be is 6 CFM at 40 psi and I doubt that any pancake or hotdog compressor is going to put out enough air.

For occasional use you don't need the HVLP feature, just get a regular spray gun or a detail or "jamb" gun (my guess is that name comes from the smaller spray fan being appropriate for car or house door jambs).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.