Recommend An Acoustic Pickup Please

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by castpolymer, Feb 1, 2012.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I have my eye on a nice little mahogany Martin guitar I have been playing for months at our local music store. It does not have electronics ( which is fine 95% of the time ). For the times I do want to plug in, I would need a soundhole pickup. Please provide some feedback on what brand and model you have had the most luck with. At this point, price is not a big deal, just the sound. Thanks ahead of time for all the input. The model is the D-15m. Here is a pic.

Attached Files:

2. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Hey Cast...

I have tried a variety of soundhole style pickups and the M1 is by far the best at that. For a nicer look AND sound, go get a K & K Mini Western pickup. It is a soundboard transducer style that is installed under your bridge from the inside. Cost for the pickup and install has always been under $200 in my experiance. They are the most realistic sounding pickup I have heard. Also, you can pay a bit more and get the "Vintage" style end pin so it looks just like a normal strap holder but has the plug in it. I have always just had the regular one installed. I have them in both of my Gibsons (Dread and vintage LG1) and the tone is amazing. You can add a pre-amp like the LR Baggs PARA DI but I have found it not necessary as my Genz Benz Shenandoah amp provides all the pre-amp power I need but the PARA DI is very nice if you go straight to a PA system.

Here is a link to K & K Mini. http://www.kksound.com/puremini.html

3. gr81dorn

gr81dorn Tele-Meister

Soundhole pickups are great, but unless u like that darn cord in the way, you're gonna wish you installed it thru the body and put the endpin jack in...all the pros with the sound hole pickups do it that way. So, you might as well explore all options.

I think the Highlander IP1 is the absolute truest sounding pickup I've played and I have had several. I have one in my Martin that is the 000 version of what you are getting and it's transparent and amazing,

K&k would be a close second.

4. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

You cannot go wrong with LR Baggs M1A for the soundhole type....and installing it to your end pin is extremely simple....took me all of 10 minutes.

5. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

+1000 I love my K&K Mini-Western pickup. I use it with a Baggs Para DI - just a beautiful sound.

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Sorry to be harsh, but I'm just not a soundhole pickup fan- Why have a great sounding guitar and then neuter great tone with a sound hole pickup?

Plus you have to run an outboard preamp to "fix" crappy tone and provide enough level boost to be heard. This has just been my experience with anyone I ever hear with a SH pickup- at best your acoustic sounds like an archtop, IMO.

I have a 1993 Martin D-1 that came w/o a pickup and a few months after purchase I had a Martin/Fishman Gold Plus pickup w/endpin preamp installed. It has no controls- I plug right into PA and the sound is well-balanced, natural sounding, no feedback. I am always complimented on my tone. And this is "old" technology now, but Fishman got this right.

Be good to the Martin;)!

7. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

I love the LR Baggs M1A with the Para DI. This is a video with a 1980 Gibson J-40 into the DI into the board.
    http://youtu.be/UPzDeE3OLmE

8. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

If you scroll down i only started a thread asking about sound hole pickups a week or so ago, and there were a lot of good replies there :)

9. grapenehi

grapenehi TDPRI Member

My friend has a sunrise pickup in his acoustic, and it sounds amazing... I usually dislike the sound of an electric acoustic, but the pickup sounds very natural... He only makes a certain amount every year, so they may be hard to come by, but an amazing product...

10. gogofun

gogofun TDPRI Member

I'm quite satisfied with my Dean markley promag soundhole pickup, what you need depends really on wich amp you put it through, and the environment. but for pluggin in a regular amp, I'd say you shpuld at least try out a few ones before you find the one that sings best with your guitar and amp.

11. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My absolute favorite is the Sunrise, but as mentioned they do not make that many each year so there is probably a waiting list to get one. I use an L. R. Baggs M1A and think it is a very nice sounding unit. You can easily install the endpin jack, but I modified my guitar strap to hold the endpin, and that way I can attach the pickup in the sound hole in about a minute and uninstall it just as easily.

I absolutely hate under-saddle units and they can cause a bridge to split since you have to drill a hole through the guitar in the bottom of the saddle groove to install it, but it only happens rarely. Very narrow bridges are more prone to splitting.

12. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

I'm a fan of dual source type pickups. The Baggs Anthem, which mixes bridge plate mic and an undersaddle Element pickup, is probably the best I've tried. I also have a custom Baggs iMix with Ibeam and M1 mixed, which sounds great.

13. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I have a D-15 and a Baggs M1A works great in it. Congrats on the new guitar. I love my D-15.

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I've had my D-15 for 15 years! (Spooky - I'm getting old).

A good luthier will install a K&K Pure Western Passive Pickup for $150 parts and labor.

I have K&K Pure rigs in two Martins and 1 Larrivee.....wonderful tone. A good pop-in will cost $80+. Just get a real K&K.

http://kksound.com/puremini.html

[​IMG]

15. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

16. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

I like and use both the L R Baggs M1 (Passive) and M1A (Active).

If I was buying again I would get the Takamine Tri-Ax. It is the same pickup as the Baggs but switchable between active and passive modes to allow matching with different amp/PA setups.

17. drb1346

drb1346 Tele-Afflicted

I've got a Fishman Rare Earth, love it thru my Fishman Loud Box Mini . . .

18. cstamper

cstamper TDPRI Member

^^^^^ Product is highly recommended an all the forums I'm on. I have one in my OM-15 and it sounds fantastic. If you're at all handy, you can install it yourself as well. It comes w/directions or you can look them up online.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.