1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommend amp for son

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BrianF, Apr 11, 2003.

1. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

My 15 yr old has been playing for 2-3 years and is getting pretty good for his style of music (i.e. anything that use a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier! :D )

I'd like to get him an amp for his BD but obviously the Mesa DR is way too much amp for him at this point.

Is there anything out there that is fairly low wattage that can get that kind of tone Dual Rectifier tone? He's not in a band yet so plays at home, but occasionaly he'll jamwith a couple friends.

Thx!

2. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Do you have a particular price range you're looking to fit into?

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following:

-Peavey Triple XXX combo
    -Peavey XXL
    -Tech21 Trademark 60
    -Line 6 Spider or Flextone combo (digital would not be my first choice)

My personal pick would go to the Fender Roc Pro series. They were maligned when they were in production as a poor-quality attempt at a hi-gain design. Now, some people are beginning to discover a reasonable, halfway versitile design.

And and honorable mention goes to the new Ibanez half-stack. Huge gain in a solid-state head.[/i]

3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What about one of the smaller Boogies?

The Studio 22's, Subway Blues and some others are relatively inexpensive used, I've seen them in the $3-400 range.
    I had a Studio 22 and the gain channel was killer, plenty loud too.
    The older Peavey Bravo tube amps are pretty good too.
    If you go SS, the Fender Deluxe 112 or Deluxe 90 amps, Peavey Bandit, Special all have plenty of power, good clean , heavy OD channels.

4. James

James TDPRI Member

Rocket 44

I think i saw one of these in the garadge sale section. These have massive gain (especially with the tone shift engaged) I hate the dirty channel myself as it sounds to much like the dual recto stuff, but the clean channel can still be nice.

5. MJ Harnish

MJ Harnish Tele-Meister

The problem is that almost any amp over 15w (which most high-gain amps are) is going to be might loud. The volume difference between a 50w and 100w amp is only 3dB. Mostly what you're getting with higher wattage amps is clean headroom.

Depending on your budget you could consider:
    1) One of the Mesa single rectifiers (which come pretty close to the DR but are lower wattage; again it isn't going to make much of a difference).
    2) A Mesa rectifier preamp coupled with a low wattage power amp; I've heard tons of good reviews of those preamps; I've got a Mesa 20/20 Power amp which is a great little power amp (Stereo using EL84's). Of course this assumes you have a stereo speaker cab (or two cabs) that he can run this through. This is the expensive route but you also get to use it. :D
    3) Mesa Studio .22; these are great little amps (as someone already mentioned) and can usually be found for around $450.
    4) A Fender Pro Jr. & a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone; this is pretty affordable as tube amps go and sounds pretty good. This is still mighty loud.
    5) The ULTIMATE super-cheap high-gain preamp is the Peavey Rockmaster. You can find these for $100 or so on Ebay and they have an insane amount of gain; 3-channels, all tube, with 4 effects loops (yes 4!) and it fits in 1-space. Of course you need a power amp for it... :(
    I have a Rockmaster that I got off Ebay for $99 including a 2-space SKB case and the footswitch that I use with a Mesa 20/20.
    6) One of the Line6 amps; the Rectifier setting on these amps sounds pretty close to the real thing, at least when recorded via the line-out. A few months ago a bunch of my friends did a blind "pick the real rectifier" test with two recorded tones; 50% of the people got it wrong. My guess is that "live" the amp sounds less impressive but that of course has a lot to do with the lack of a 4x12 pushing all that air. :D

6. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the replies

I was thinking of a Subway Rocket....but wondered if the 10 inch speaker might be to small too capture the bottom end of the rectifier tone.

The other amp I was thinking of was the new Mesa F-30 but thats getting up there in price.

I look into the Rocket 44. Is there anything from Marshall that might be a good choice for a smaller amp?

I also heard the Line6...Flextone II (I believe) I thought it sounded pretty good at the time...

Thanks...

7. MJ Harnish

MJ Harnish Tele-Meister

The subway rocket has a pretty good lead channel (the clean channel kind of sucks IMO though). I doubt you're going to get anywhere near the same amount of low end out of anything, even a real DR, without the 4x12 that usually goes with it. Then again, those bass frequencies are the ones that really carry (and annoy) the neighbors. :?

8. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Unfortunately, I can't reccomend anything from Marshall in a similar package price/sizewise to the Rocket 44. The closest things are JCM800 and 900 combos, and they are, by design, not voiced with as much crazy low end as the Mesas. The AVT combos are decent amps, but it's pretty much a sure thing that he'll want a better amp before long. They also don't really have the gain onboard to slam out the detuned power chords, and being solid state (for the most part) they won't take wuite as well to boosting.

Honestly, I'd steer clear of the Rockets. I was considering a Subway Rocket for awhile, then the owner of the store where I was shopping introduced be to a used Studio .22 for the same price. The Studio blew the Rocket away in terms of clarity, noise level, and drive. I scooped it up pretty quick for a Marshall JCM900 head and a couple of other toys.

The Studio .22 isn't the highest gain amp on the market, but with a clean boost, one could probably get into nu-metal land. I'm in the process of bringing home a .50 Caliber, which is big-brother to the .22. For about $499 used, compared to $449 used for a Rocket 44 at the same store, I'd say it's well worth the difference.

I'd second the observation that the Peavey Rockmaster is a great preamp for the price, but beware of reliability issues with it. The ones that work well, usually contine to do so, but the ones that don't (like mine) usually wind up minus a channel or two. Test out everthing before you buy.

To add to my previous reccomendations, I would also strongly reccomend checking out a Peavey 5150 combo, which can be had for about $600 easily, and less on a decent day. It's got the gain to do almost anything in the metal market. Also, If you run across a Peavey XXL combo, try it. I'm of the opinion that the XXL head is the best sounding solid-state head to hit the market lately.

The other option is to find a good clean amp and set him up with a good pedal. I reccomend the Marshall Jackhammer, the Visual Sounds Jekyl & Hyde (sp?), and possibly one of the newer Digitech X-series pedals.

9. astro

astro Tele-Holic

Marshall Mode4 combo

should do the trick

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.