Recommend a wall hanger for my tele

Dadzmad

Tele-Meister
I am usually opposed to wall hanging a tele since the previous owner repeatedly hung this tele up in an inappropriate hanger and had it repeatedly fall out. Near the strap button it looks like someone took the claw end of a framing hammer and gave it a few good whacks. My new place is rather cramped with all my gear so I am thinking about a wall hanger or two. Please suggest a good secure hanger for a heavy ash tele in the SoCal seismic zone. I am not squeamish about drilling the sheet rock for toggle bolts if I have too. Let me know what has worked for you.

Last edited:

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Never ever seen a problem with a Hercules wall hanger. My Tele hung on that wall in a Hercules for 2 years before I moved house (& a rack was a better solution here).

BEBBA98B-5913-4FEB-AB3F-7E4FE9249C14.jpeg

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Whatever you get make sure they are “finish friendly” even if you have a non nitro guitar you are going to put on it you never know

Avoid the cheap surgical tubing ones

When I had hangers I used string swing brand and never had issues (although at that time non of my guitars were nitro)

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
I’ve got string swings holding up a tele, bass and jazzmaster as some of my heaviest instruments, all without issue for the past 6 years.

Be sure to squeeze the forks together and rotate them counter clockwise a little to snugly fit the contours of the headstock, especially with teles. Else you may find your tele hanging on by the low E tuner instead, which sounds like what might have happened in the OPs previous owner comment.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Simple…trade it in for a ’70s model. Big headstock!

If you’re only buying a couple hangers then get the nice ones.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I use tool hangars from the hardware store. They are coated with a hard foam/vinyl that hasn't marred any of my guitar necks. They screw into the wall studs and are rated for 50 lbs. $2/each.

pypa

Tele-Holic
If the thing you are trying to solve is having the bracket stay mounted and not fall out of the wall, then 5% is due to the brand/type you buy.

95% of your success will be determined by how you mount it:

Mount it to a stud. If you don't have a stud, mount a backer 1x strip of wood that can be mounted to the studs. The bracket(s) can then be mounted to this.

Don't use the screws that come with the bracket. They are likely cheap, and can often strip out on the threads or the heads. Buy quality screws that are appropriately sized to go at least 1" into the stud or furring strip.

I do agree with the caveat to make sure the forks are finish-friendly.