Recommend a Tele Neck Pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by callasabra, Jul 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

I have gone through several YT vids of various Cavaliers and the various players' style is so different than mine that I feel like it is an unnecessary turn off. I think I could get a sound that I like with them.

This is what I have in mind to accomplish with this guitar, hence the various switching options.

2. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

I second that emotion!! Cavalier Lion King-,use it in all my teles,( along with bridge Cavaliers), you cant find a more versitile neck!!

callasabra likes this.
  3. Rich B in Tempe

Guitar fetish pickups are cheep-chineeze- junk! No way can u compare a Cavalier to a Guitar Fetish pickup!

callasabra likes this.
  4. callasabra

I did look at the GFS pickups, they are tempting because of price, but my guitar came with cheap chinese pickups and I am wanting something nicer. I have considered the GFS Mean 90 for a different guitar, but that is for another topic.

5. callasabra

Does the lion King handle other genres of music other than country and blues?

All the yt vids seem to highlight the pickups performance with blues and country licks.

The seymour duncan vids are more rock and metal. I think I can get what I want out of the lion King. I just fear buying it and not liking it.

I know amp settings go along way too.

6. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

That's interesting, callasabra. I can't say from first-hand experience, but I'd sure think so. Hopefully someone who can vouch personally for the Lion King on rock and metal can tell you.

That's interesting about the videos. I've had the same response, but in the opposite direction. I never have liked the official SD videos very much for the reason that they tend to be pretty hard rock and even metal. In fact, I really don't like any demos that don't have a lot of clean tones. I consider a demo that only has distorted tones to be a waste of time. It goes to show how much the kind of music played can affect product sales, even if it works perfectly well for other kinds of music.

callasabra likes this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I would email Rob at Cavalier and tell him what you're looking for. Let him make a recommendation. He knows his products and their application better than anyone. He's known for his responsiveness and excellent customer service.

8. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Yes, you can actually PM him through TDPRI as well. He has the best communication and turn-around time of any company I've ever dealt with. He's very knowledgeable and patient.

chrisr0712 likes this.
  9. callasabra

The Cavalier videos were alot of quick runs and notes, not a lot of chords or letting chords ring. The guy playing is very good, but I felt like it only showed off a portion of what (I hoped) the pickup is capable of.

I agree that the SD vids are often rock and metal with very little clean tone (too limited in genre as well). The Cavalier video did highlight clean tones much better. I guess I am looking for something middle of the road, demostrate a variety of styles and genres. I have heard others say they like the quarter pounder in their tele and they don't play hard rock or metal.

10. callasabra

Thanks guys, I will see if I can get up with him.

11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I'll try to do another demo more like this for my set.

12. callasabra

Great, I would love to hear more demos.

13. Rich B in Tempe

IMG_4755.JPG IMG_4933.JPG IMG_5006.JPG
    Everybody is concerned with $$$. I bought the most expensive Klein nocasters- the were awful- and not even cheep. I trusted Rob DeStefano , who sold me a set of pickups: Lion king neck- Fat Lion bridge!! I was in heaven! Got Cavaliers in my 3 teles, their all amazing,,,,& not that botique price!! I woulda paid double if he woulda asked,,their that good!& i did pay double the price of Cavaliers,vs the Kleins- took me months to sell my Kleins-& took a big loss. I sometimes see Cavaliers for sale on Reverb, they go for pretty close to their retail-direct-price! They HOLD THEIR VALUE!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    callasabra and El Tele Lobo like this.
  14. Rich B in Tempe

If price vs sound is yer big concern, just stick to everything-sh*tty chineeze junk- you most certainly do get what you pay for!

callasabra likes this.
  15. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't recommend GFS over boutique or name-brand pups, but the only people who claim they're bad never owned them:

99% of people who have used them are more than satisfied, including me.

Their lipsticks in my 12 are outstanding, and their Vintage 50 and 60 I have in other guitars match up just fine with Standard Tele and other pups.

callasabra likes this.
  16. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Can you name Alnico-poled pickups you don't like?

17. callasabra

beautiful guitars, and they face the right direction too! I couldn't find any used Cavaliers for sale at a drastically reduced price.

18. callasabra

I can say that the bridge pickup that came with I do not like. However, I am not positive it is Alnico-poled, so this isn't very helpful. If they are Alnico-poled, I don't like them.

19. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

How many have I tried? How many have most people tried for real?

Not many. I just know what works.

And GFS pups consistently get great reviews from users.

Their other stuff, not so much.

20. Rich B in Tempe

Ive recently seen some Cavaliers in Reverb, chatted with the seller, said "there great, i just had an extra set that the build didnt happen-i've get cavaliers in my other 2 teles", the seller was asking about 20% less than retail & they sold right-away!! Go Cav's!!
    From personal experience, the Cav lions can ROCK HARD!! I play thru a Boss ME 80, its got a ton of flexability & mucho metal-overdrive settings. The Cavalier Lions give some of the best overdrive-distortion sounds,as well as killer clean tones!

callasabra likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.