Recommend a Tele Neck Pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by callasabra, Jul 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

I am upgrading/modifying my Douglas Gravity (its like a thinline tele) and I am in need of a neck pickup; I recently damaged mine.

The guitar will be wired with a 4 switch (neck, n+b in parallel, n+b in series, bridge). bridge pickup is a rail humbucker that will also have a separate 3-way on/on/on switch for switching the bridge humbucker from series/parallel/singlecoil.

The bridge pickup is pretty hot (13.4K), Each pickup will have an independent vol pot, no tone pot. The pots are rated 250K but they measure 298K and 288K.

I would like a neck pickup to be somewhat balanced with the bridge. I don't want a real boomy bass or a real ice picky treble, but would like more clarity. Is there something that pairs well with what is described? I am not opposed to using 500K pots (I have a few laying around).
    TIA

2. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Are you just interested in traditional tele neck pickups? I would go with a p90 for the neck with that bridge pickup. You're likely going to be in mud town when you go series with such a hot bridge pickup btw.

callasabra likes this.
  3. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I also would go with a P90 type - screw poles. no cover, moderate DCR.

EDIT This includes small screw pole pickups as well as Gibson style and hum-sized.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    callasabra likes this.
  4. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Try a Rio Grande Muy Grande neck pickup, maybe? It will save you some routing. A P90 can be kind of woofy in the neck too depending on how it's wound.

callasabra likes this.
  5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Twisted Tele

callasabra likes this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Porter 9t neck might pair well with that...especially if you are after a p90 vibe in a tele size footprint. The series and parallel positions can be especially p90ish with this pickup.

Also highly recommend the Cavalier Lion King for a more traditional tele neck sound with balance and clarity. Rob also makes a Fat Lion King with even more pronounced midrange. If you want more of a Strat like neck sound, you might like his Lioness neck.

7. callasabra

I like the p90 suggestions, but I don't want to route the body. I will look into porter and others suggested.
    My understanding of the twisted tele is that is made to get a strat tone out of a tele and at $100+ it is a little out of my price range.

I have no experience with the Muy Grande so I need to do some reading

8. El Tele Lobo

Check out Porter and McNelly. They both make a 9t style. Both are pricey though. Someone makes a cheaper alternative...I just can't recall who. You might happen upon a used one. That's how I got my Porters.

If price is an issue, look at Cavalier...some of the best pickups money can buy...without kissing all your money goodbye. Rob has some great neck options and will custom wind for you if necessary.

For Cavalier demos, check youtube under roknfnrol. Mike demos a bunch of Rob's pickups. I have a few demos up of my set too. Good luck!

Rich B in Tempe and callasabra like this.
  9. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I was thinking more along the lines of a screw pole tele-sized pickup, like the one G&L have.

callasabra likes this.
  10. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Any Rumpel. Tell Aaron what tone you want and he'll wind to taste and match your desires.

callasabra likes this.
  11. callasabra

Interesting. I may have to adjust my budget, though.
    I will check out the suggestions

12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Cavalier Fat Lioness, no cover, doesn't need a separate ground.

FrontPU, callasabra and El Tele Lobo like this.
  13. callasabra

I am posting my findings here so I can refer back and also may benefit someone else:

Rio Grande Muy Grande: $98 single coil A5 mags 8K DCR
    "A powerful replacement for the Tele® bridge, the Muy Grande gives you that classic tone you've come to expect, but a lot more of it! Can really push your amp when needed and when backed off cleans up quite nicely. No skinny , brittle, tones here...just big, round, full Tele tones. Extra gain without the pain!!!"
    https://www.riograndepickups.com/muy-grande-for-tele-bridge

Porter 9T: $120 P90 43 AWG ceramic mags 7k DCR
    "The Porter 9T neck gives you a nice clear and full tone without getting too muddy or too twangy. It will still provide the P90 “push” but remains thick in the mix. The Porter 9T bridge pickup gives you that huge P90 tone without any extra modifications to your guitar. The 9T bridge is very aggressive, driving your amp harder while still giving you the flexibility of adjusting each pole under each string. The 9T bridge responds well to volume changes and clean up as you roll the knob down. We like to run these pickups at different heights depending on the results and aggressiveness you want."
    http://www.porterpickups.com/products/pickups/tele-pickups/9t/

McNelly T-Bar: $115 P90
    "These feature recessed adjustable poles and blend some of the tonal characteristics of a traditional soapbar P90 into a direct replacement for the Tele bridge. The tone is fatter and will more readily push the front end of your rig with higher output. For those who love to rock out on a tele, it adds some fun flavours!"
    https://mcnelly-pickups.myshopify.com/collections/tele/products/t-bar-neck

Fender twisted tele: $100+ A5 mag 5.9K DCR
    "Fender Twisted Tele pickups deliver hot high-output Telecaster guitar tone with a dash of sparkling Stratocaster® guitar character. Each pickup is tailored to its position (neck and bridge) to achieve its individual sonic character. The neck pickup's taller bobbin is designed to accommodate more windings, combined with a slightly shorter bridge pickup bobbin for dark full-bodied midrange."
    http://shop.fender.com/en-US/access...tom-shop-twisted-tele-pickups/0992215000.html

Cavalier: http://www.frettech.com/

Lion King: $60 43 awg A5 8K DCR
    "The Lion King offers unfettered vintage tone for those wishing the aesthetic look of the Tele® covered neck pickup, with more treble on tap than a typical Tele neck pickup. The thin nickel-silver mirror chrome cover is independently grounded from the coil leads, allowing phase reversal and easy hook up with a 4-way pickup switch. Supplied with body or pickguard mounting screws and height tubing."

Fat Lion King: $65 w/ cover 43 awg A5 mags 10K DCR
    "The Fat Lion King offers more output and more midrange that its Lion King brother, for those wishing a bolder Tele® neck pickup tone and output. The thin nickel-silver mirror chrome cover is independently grounded from the coil leads, allowing phase reversal and easy hook up with a 4-way pickup switch. Supplied with body or pickguard mounting screws and height tubing."

Lioness: $50 w/o cover 43 awg A5 8K DCR
    "The original Tele® neck pickup was metal covered to attenuate the high end, reduce treble, and offer a more mid-range or baritone sound for rhythm playing and to offer an alternative to lugging around an upright string double bass. Within short order, Fender® invented the Precision Bass, yet still built the Tele® neck pickup with a tone blanketing thick metal cover. The Lioness frees up that great, natural single coil tone that's long been hidden under cold metal. Black tape coil covering, supplied with body or pickguard mounting screws and tubing."

Fat Lioness: $55 w/o cover 43 awg A5 mags 10K DCR
    "The Fat Lioness offers more output and more midrange that its Lioness sister, for those wishing a bolder Tele® neck pickup tone and output. Black tape coil covering, supplied with body or pickguard mounting screws and tubing."

Rumplelstiltskin: http://rumpelstiltskinpickups.com/
    I had such a difficult time navigating their website I gave up and moved on. prices seem to be $90 and up. Looks like a lot of options, but couldn't tell anything from their site. Maybe their site would work better on a phone as opposed to a desktop computer, but I don't shop on my phone.

BG Pups; Tele Neck A3: $65 A3 43 awg 7.4-8.2K DCR
    "This pup captures the sound and feel of a late 50s early 60s Tele neck pup. But with extra clarity and dimension."
    http://bg-pups.com/teles/telecaster-neck-a3/

Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder: $65 A5 mag 11.8K DCR
    "The Quarter Pound for Tele Rhythms custom overwound coil provides a powerful midrange that cuts through any mix without sounding bright or brash. This makes it a rhythm beast with huge sounding chords, and full, fat lead tones. Being the highest output Tele rhythm single coil that we make, the Quarter Pound for Tele Rhythm pairs great with any of our high output lead pickups The Quarter Pound lead pickup in the bridge position completes this telecaster setup.The bobbins are hand built and wound in Santa Barbara, and use hand ground alnico 5 rod magnets, along with a traditional deep drawn chrome plated Telecaster cover. Wax potted for squeal free performance."
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/quarter-pound-tele-neck

Rich B in Tempe and El Tele Lobo like this.
  14. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 TDPRI Member

The Lion King is my current favorite and matches up great with my 8.5k Voodoo Nocaster Bridge. Another plus is that Cavaliers are made ready for the 4-way switch option. I need to convert mine from 3 way soon

15. callasabra

I think a P90 option will pair best with my bridge given the various selections I intend to have. My budget was in the $30-$50 range but I think that is unrealistic.

16. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I was going to suggest what @El Tele Lobo said and what @SPUDCASTER and @chrisr0712 have mentioned as well: A Cavalier. They're inexpensive, well-made, great pickups that will get to you very fast. Listen to the YouTube demos of the various Lion neck types and go from there.

callasabra likes this.
  17. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 TDPRI Member

In that price range...check out GFS (Guitar Fetish ). I cant vouch for them personally, but have heard some positive things.

callasabra likes this.
  18. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

It sure sounds like the Cavalier Fat Lioness or the Cavalier or the Fat Lion King match up well with the P-90-type sound you're looking for. The specs are almost exactly the same as a typical vintage P-90, but it's in a traditional tele neck setup.

19. El Tele Lobo

My Lion King/Nashville Lion set is so versatile. Does twang without sounding thin or overbright. Neck is warm and full with plenty of clarity. The in between positions are where the real versatility comes out though. The parallel position comes very close to approximating a filtertron and the series position... If you closed your eyes you'd swear it was a P90. I was afraid what people are saying was too good to be true, but it really is the best pickup set I've ever used.

20. callasabra

Yes, the 4way readiness is an additional appeal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.