Recommend a tape delay plugin for dub

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Digital Larry, May 10, 2021.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

There's a whole bunch of them, free, paid, looks crummy, looks incredible, etc. I am mostly interested in ones which "destroy" the signal in a haze of noise and/or distortion after a few passes. I am thinking specifically of something like the effect on the voice in the Moody Blues "Sunset" from Days of Future Passed, if you know what I mean. It may not even be a tape delay. I know a Space Reverb has 4 heads and a spring reverb etc. and that may all be cool but I am really looking for that sonic destruction more than anything.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    24 track likes this.
  2. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have the Waves Kramer Tape plug-in. It can get pretty filthy. It looks really cool but its user interface is pretty ‘70s minimalist. No tap tempo, for example. It does let you regulate tape speed by entering msec delay times (I think) but if you want sync it to BPM, you have to do the math yourself. In its defense, modern tempo-synced delays are not really its intended purpose.

Digital Larry likes this.
  3. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

Wavesfactory EchoCat may get you there. I've demoed it but have not bought it yet. They make really good stuff.

Others I use frequently: Soundtoys EchoBoy, Line 6 Echo Farm, Waves J37, UAD tape delays if you have that system. There might be another I just can't think of the top of my head.

Added note: I just finished beta testing a new (and their first) delay plugin from a very well known company that I think is really great and just different enough from all the others. I obviously can't disclose it but it'd be worth noting to try when it is released. Hopefully soon!

4. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Waves H-Delay is my go-to. Simple to dial in and can feedback if you want to get into that.

That said, I find it challenging to 'play' a vst delay the same way you 'play' a physical delay unit.

Digital Larry and ponce like this.
  5. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Same here. I experimented with some dub in this track. H-Delay in action starting at 1:00

Digital Larry and drmordo like this.
  6. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Wouldn’t the go-to dub echo be a Roland Space echo? I guess earlier stuff would be an echoplex, but I’d be looking at emulations of those two units more than anything else. But are we talking Lee Perry/ King Tubby dub, 80s Sly and Robbie dub, Bill Laswell/ Jah Wobble style or something more contemporary?

Digital Larry and klasaine like this.
  7. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Roland Re-210 'space echo' is kinda the one.
    UAd makes a plugin. Expensive as plugins go but definitely dirty, wacky and f'd up sounding.

8. Digital Larry

I don't really know. The only things I have in mind are a) The Moody Blues, ca 1967 and b) UB40 ca. 1981/82. Guess I have to go listen and figure it out.

9. Digital Larry

Wow, I love this track. Yeah that was what I was after. Sort of that super splatty spring sound also. I'll check it out.

Never having owned a real tape delay, I don't have that particular problem!

ponce likes this.
  10. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Digital spring reverb is a whole other beast. Several years back I tried every spring reverb VST I could find and didn't like a single one. I ended up routing the signal out to a real spring reverb.

11. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! Gotta check what I used for a spring reverb. I totally forgot.

12. Digital Larry

I've spent a fair amount of time doing DSP effects programming but gotta tell you that reverbs and especially spring reverbs are in another realm of complexity. I've read a number of AES and PhD theses and it's not something you just knock out in a weekend. I was going to make it my life's work but decided to record music instead.

I have a spring reverb as part of my Eurorack setup and even it is not enough of what I am looking for. Part of the problem with your typical reverb pan is that they try to make it sound "less" springy, so they have 2 or 3 springs of different weights, and those joined in the middle as well. Each of those different weight/length springs adds another set of reflections and is tuned differently to spread the resonances out. I think what I want is something that will just drive a single spring really hard. Maybe my life's work will be that. Not a DSP reverb but a real spring based on garage door springs with a super high torque motor driving it.

drmordo likes this.
  13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have several in my arsonal , but this one is one of the funkiest and different delays i have

Ohmforce by Ohmboyz I love this thing, soooo cool
    trust me this is off the wall

md_1_1_412239.jpg

14. Digital Larry

Looks like the current product is called "Ohmboyz Infinity". Man some of this stuff really puts me off. Now I know it's important to have your preset look cool as well as sound cool, but if you go to Ohmforce's website, they don't really give you a clear view of the UI and I can't find a simple manual or anything. Sure, I can "contact them" but come on, can't you guys publish the manual? https://www.ohmforce.com/ohmboyz-infinity

I listened to some of the demo and indeed it does sound cool but I could not get an idea of the one single thing I am looking for, which is the noise/distortion buildup on a single delay. "Sustained loop" is close to that idea.

I watched some idiot demoing a different plugin yesterday, can't believe I spent 5 minutes on it, but he's one of these edgy "jump cut every 5 seconds" kinda guys. He has a vocal loop going and tries a bunch of presets, after each one saying, "of course... that is SO COOL!" I just wanted to slap him. With delays especially, some things are going to work well for sustained/smooth sounds, and some only come to life with percussive material. Sorry to go off into a rant on YouTube guys but WOW. What a waste of time.

I'm tilting towards the Waves H-Delay and maybe also Kramer, they are about $30 each and buy two get one free sort of thing going on.

But then... I looked at the Valhalla delay.

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/delay/valhalladelay/

Sean Costello is something of a celebrity in the reverb world, at least to me. I enjoy their very spartan interface. However he just demo'ed with a synth patch which seems like a missed opportunity because a lot of those really short delays with feedback that get you into Karplus Strong territory really only come alive with percussive material.

Well, I've got some stuff to think about anyway.

24 track likes this.
  15. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

The gnarliest reverb/delay I ever got was putting a monitor right up on the sound board of an upright piano and use a figure 8 mic to put the monitor in the null and just record all the vibration coming off the piano strings. Very wierd, very swirly, harmonically rich sound.

Since that's often not practical, I like the soundtoys stuff, echoboy is great, precede it or follow it with (or both) with Devil-Loc to dirty it up. Put a filter on an LFO to make it weirder.

16. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Ultimately, delays are pretty simple. IMO a tape delay is primarily just a standard delay with high and low pass filters on the echo. So I would imagine the sound on most of these units is comparable. The big difference is going to be the interface and how easily the interface allows you to dial in the sound you need.

For me, the H-Delay has consistently been the easiest to dial in, which is why I just go straight for it these days. I absolutely agree that Valhalla makes great reverbs, and I haven't tried his Delay, but IMO the interface looks a bit more fiddly than the H-Delay.

BTW, one thing that I think might make it much easier to create dub delay effects ITB is to route the Feedback 'knob' to a control surface so you get actual tactile control over it. I haven't tried it, but I think it would help, again because the interface is more intuitive than a mouse and keyboard.

17. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/psp-pianoverb/

It's been around a while, but PSP's Pianoverb emulates that effect. Though I've never done it with a real piano to compare the results, I do like the Pianoverb.

Digital Larry and matman14 like this.
  18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I found it to be quite intuative and easy to use , but these guys do have some really whacked stuff out there, this one is quite off the wall

19. Digital Larry

Good idea. I have a BeatStep Pro with 16 knobs that usually just sit there freeloading.

drmordo likes this.
  20. Digital Larry

Yeah, if you don't mind that would be really helpful.

ponce likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.