Recommend a Small Amp.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OldAndNew, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Clickfiend

Clickfiend TDPRI Member

Blackstar HT-1R MKII Head or Combo (1 watt). Tube Amp. Sounds great. I have the head running through a Blackstar 1x12. Two channels. Takes pedals well. Looks cool and little. Makes much loudness.They also have larger versions (5 watt and bigger). Love this thing. I got the head and cab used for about 285 bucks. I switch back and forth between this and my '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue (12 watts). Also should look at the Super Champ x2. It's a tube/digital hybrid. Two channel. 16 amp voicings. Very nice. 15 watts. Good luck.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  2. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Go directly to Mesa/Boogie, do not pass GO, do not collect $200...

Used, not new.

Buy new and get popped with the typical 30% depreciation as it is now a USED item. Buy USED/mint and get a good deal and you might even make money if you decide to sell it.

I did a snipe bid on a Mesa/Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb and got it for $500 years ago.

1x10" combo, 22 very loud and portable watts, 37 very easy to move lbs.

Buy a Boogie and use it for every application, from the bedroom to the studio to live on stage. Plus you never need to buy another or fix it as long as you live. Maybe just replace the tubes, and even then you don't have to pay some tech guy to adjust the bias on a Boogie, ever.

Here's mine:
    DSCF0372 - LP FF Boogie- good one.JPG
    DSCF0372 - LP FF Boogie- good one (crop).jpg
    - Shares treble, middle, bass and reverb
    - individual gain and master for each channel (it's a 2 channel amp)
    - comes with a footswitch that plugs in to the back
    - has an incredible sounding recording out and a switch to turn the speaker off when using the recording out
    - if it needs to be louder than this screamer, your drummer needs to learn how to play with dynamics... or lose about 10 of his cymbals, LOL

I bought this used off of eBay around 15 years ago and have never needed any other kind of amp. Plus it was in mint condition as it seems most folks who own Boogies take care of their gear. The one you find will most likely be in super great shape as well.

Plus it was a Boogie built before Gibson acquired Boogie. I haven't seen or heard or played any of the Gibbo-Boogies but have been a steady Boogie user for 31+ years. I've never had one die (like I have Marshalls putt out on me), they are as good at low volume as they are at blow your nose off your face volume.

Delete all the other posts here and go straight for a small Boogie combo.

There is one on Reverb right now for $699 local pickup only in Ft. Myers, FL and it looks fresh and minty in the pics, but I think he is price gouging. The "real" price should be about $500...

There is a Subway Rocket (no reverb) on eBay at the moment for $799.99, again I say "price gouger"... should be closer to $500... (Boogie at the time also made a Subway Rocket (no reverb) that had a presence control in place of the reverb knob. They should be around the same price.)

If you were going to go with a Mexican Made Fender Vibro Champ Reverb ($799.99 MAP)... A used smaller Boogie for less money and superb time tested USA Boogie quality makes a hell of a lot more sense to me.

IMHO, buying a used Boogie will have better quality and long term life expectantcy than buying a new Fender anything...

I'll guarantee my words with this... if you buy one of these Boogies and then don't like it, I'll buy it from you for every penny you spent (actual receipts you spent included of course). Now beat that deal... PM me here with the reason(s) you bought it and didn't like it and we'll talk. (only applies to this original poster)

Now go buy a Boogie baby...

-------------------------

Edit: Another resource for finding a used Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb besides Reverb and eBay... you can go to the Craigslist in any major city and do a search. If you find one for sale (say in Phoenix, AZ or something) message the seller and ask if they would ship it to you where ever you live.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  3. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

See a pattern? The Vox Ac10C1 is a great amp, and not just "for the money". It's got depth and character and my teles, strats, 335s, even my J185ec sound great through it. Does it get loud? Not as loud as my Pro Reverb but definitely loud enough for most situations, and unlike the Pro keeps its personality at very low levels.

And it's only 22lbs or so.

greenhornet likes this.
  4. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

I picked up a Vox ac15cc1 to dip my toe in the Vox tone and that amp sounds great and is loud enough for smaller gigs. It's got a WGS Reaper in it, clipped the bright cap, and installed a pot to control the cut (which is fixed in that amp). I'm in it for way less than $500.00. It's a keeper.

5. HootOwlDude

HootOwlDude TDPRI Member

I haven’t read through all the replies to see if it’s mentioned, but if you can find a used Vox Pathfinder 15r, it’s a great solid state amp that is super portable and rich sounding. The reverb and tremolo are both very good in my opinion, and overall the amp sounds great. I have one that needs servicing that I really miss not having operable. Gonna get it fixed soon—perfect for around the house or an extemporaneous week-night jam at my buddy’s house. They were $100 new back when they were in production and are a bit more now. See them on Reverb and the like now and then for around $150 or so.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  6. jefsilvo

jefsilvo TDPRI Member

For up to $500, especially new the PJ IV, you can’t go wrong.
    I’ve been happy with my 2 Fender Pro Junior tweeds, purchased new in 1994.
    One has an Jensen Alnico Blue speaker and the other an Eminence brown ceramic V 1030 (May upgrade to a Celestion Greenback 25).
    Both speakers were stock.
    Sometimes it can be a little loud, but I don’t play at high-volume much anymore. I just want to clean Fender tone.
    Along with the 1992 MIJ Fender 50s reissue Strat, 1983 Big Box ProCo Rat with new JJ tubes, sent through an old Boss Chorus Ensemble (for stereo),
    it’s all analog, easy to lift and fine as wine!

Attached Files:

7. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

The new vibro champ is GLORIOUS! But... starts to break up around 5 which isn’t very loud in fact all the way on ten it isn’t too loud

If you want something that isn’t too loud and want something that is almost always crunchy it’s perfect

Also mine had a tube socket go bad and blew a tube within 3 months of buying it, had to get it fixed under warranty, another member here had the reverb on one die on him in the store and I believe had issues with another one, might be bad luck for us, certainly something to think about though if considering it

OldAndNew likes this.
  8. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I know people have their love for Vox amps. I am not one of them. I have had 2 of the Vox AC-15C1 amps, my first one was a bit of an impulse buy, it was wrapped in Racing Green tolex... the second one I had was wrapped in Elegant Purple tolex... and was probably another impulse buy.

I didn't hold on to either because to my ears it just seemed they that model had way too much treble, even when the treble control was turned down, it did not or could not produce a nice flat clean signal minus treble, treble, treble... both were sold but I kept my Mesa/Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb...

Plus the AC-15C1 is heavy as hell (to me), not really easily portable to my newly disabled body... they are about 49-ish lbs. (round up to 50-ish). A heavy amp with too much treble isn't my cup of tea... but there are folks out there that are die hard Vox fans... But not everyone likes Vox amps... so it's an in-store test drive, not an impulse buy (twice, doh) over the Internet...

9. Suca

Suca TDPRI Member

Fender Blues Junior III. It's actually a little over 500 USD but it's great, beautiful clean tones and it screams hard too.

OldAndNew likes this.
  10. Reivaj

Reivaj TDPRI Member

Panama Conqueror (based on Tweed Champ and Princeton).

Used Marshall JCM-1.

I love those 2.

And if I lived in the US I’d get a bf Champ or tweed Princeton clone made... Or a single 6v6 tweed Deluxe... I’d definitely explore the 1 watters and simple designs clones (early fenders).

11. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

For practicing at home, I use a 50 watt Fender Mustang modeling amp. The setting can be useful, when I don’t want to run through the pedal board, but the first setting (Twin) works great for running through the pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.