Recommend a Small Amp.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OldAndNew, Sep 27, 2021.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I wanted something I could move around easily at home (and throw in the car to play with friends). The Vibrochamp Reverb was on my list, but I wanted a bit smaller, lighter and handwired ('cause that's how I roll). Tired of the THR10.

I found a Valvetrain 205c which is a tweed Princeton in a Champ-sized cabinet (actually, 14.5" x 13" x 8.5"). It is 17 lbs (2 more than a tweed Champ, but 3 less than a Vibrochamp Reverb).I found it on Reverb for $700 (incl shipping and tax). More than $500, but less than a VCR.

Here it is; I love it.

Attached Files:

2. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

LuvMeATele and posttoastie like this.
  3. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

I like old amps. One can obtain a Silvertone 1481 on Reverb for less than $500.

4. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Another Vox AC10 recommendation here.

5. Sconnie

Sconnie Friend of Leo's

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'll suggest the Peavey Classic 20. It's a kick ass little tube amp! No onboard reverb which is the only bummer. But it breaks up easily and mine has been bullet proof since picking it up in a trade 10 years ago. Throw a spring reverb pedal in front of it and have a blast making some great sounds!

https://reverb.com/p/peavey-classic-20-tweed-1990s

LuvMeATele and David C like this.
  6. OldAndNew

OldAndNew TDPRI Member

I’m interested in this one too. Ive only played a Vox once and it was super clean.

7. Nishplayer

Nishplayer Tele-Meister

8. WoodyJ

WoodyJ TDPRI Member

+1,000 on the Vox AC10. I have always been a Fender amp guy but for a home studio or practicing, the AC10 ticks all the boxes. It also can get very loud if you want it to and it has good reverb. It is a great value for (just) under $500.

VOX AC10 DH studio.jpg

9. 1stpitch

1stpitch TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Marshall DSL1 works great for me.

10. David C

David C Tele-Meister

It hasn't come up because he wants to spend $500 at the most and it needs to be easy to move around.

11. David C

David C Tele-Meister

Peavey is a name that doesn't get any love, but their Classic series amps are very good. The Classic 20 head has been mentioned. The Classic 30 is a combo amp that comes in around $350, leaving you extra change if you wanted to change the speaker.

LuvMeATele likes this.
  12. Pickaxe

Pickaxe TDPRI Member

I've got a Blackstar HT-5R, it's got a 12" 50 watt speaker and sounds brilliant with everything. You can pick them up quite cheap now, try one before you buy anything else.

Blackmore Fan and LuvMeATele like this.
  13. paulhealey

paulhealey TDPRI Member

This is the worst recommendation I realize, I got one of those 5 watt champ clones from Monoprice. It was cheap. Couple hundred new. It came with a decent speaker but I swapped it for a GWS American sounding speaker (stock was British - good speaker though) and the pre tube with a cleaner one. All in I’m at $250 and it’s great. I also have a Blue Jr I got used for like $350 I really like.

14. Galen1960

Galen1960 TDPRI Member

Try the Fender Bassbreaker 7. It's a 7-watt,10 inch celestion speaker tube combo. It has an EL84 as the power tube and provides a very nice clean tone all the way up to a Marshall like crunch. Quiet enough for the bedroom but can get loud enough to jam with. Priced at $499.99, but you can deal with your retailer.

15. goodguy

goodguy Tele-Meister

4 pages of responses and 1600+ views on a question thats been asked & answered a hundred times here - maybe the OP just needs to know how the search function works (not to mention Google).
    A quick "recommend small amp" on here has over 20 PAGES of results.
    WTF?

16. 1stpitch

1stpitch TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Yeah, Telecasters have been discussed here thousands of time. And there could never be a reason to discuss any one topic more than once, right? Just go ahead and shut down the forum.

17. soundcloset

soundcloset Tele-Meister

Chiming in without adding too much to the answer: Ibanez put out a range of small tube amps with a tube screamer build right into the front end: "TS this or that", probably. I used one for close monitoring in a church where they let me pick it out for a stage monitor. Sounded nice enough, although I have close to zero experience owning a tube amp. Im using a Frontman 25 with an old Roland speaker in it to soften the ice-pick highs. Among all my second-hand ss amps it my go-to. (The Line-6 went back into what we used to call "limp home" mode in the car biz. Mostly non-responsive.)

18. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

I agree that the new Bogner Mini head fits the bill. No it’s not a tube amp but I can’t tell the difference. It sounds great at whisper volumes and roars when turned up. I’ve paired mine up with a Mesa 1x10 cabinet and it’s pretty amazing!
    BD0C827A-2367-4D26-9F7B-CE7B9593EFC0.jpeg

19. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

Lighten up man

20. dutchaxedude

dutchaxedude TDPRI Member

Another vote for the Egnater Tweaker 15! They come by quite often used for about 300. If you don't mind the weight the Tweaker 40 is two of the same channels and not much more money used. I have the 15 combo and it's great! Of course you don't have to keep tweaking, it's just to really zero in on the tone you want!
    http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Tweaker/Tweaker112/Tweaker112.html

Dirty tones at the beginning.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    LuvMeATele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.