Recommend a guitar stool / chair?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by David Meiland, Feb 23, 2020.

1. David Meiland

David Meiland TDPRI Member

I'm thinking something with a back and a footrest. Googling has me confused. There must be a reliable favorite or two. Thank you.

2. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

Office chair with no arms.

rolandson likes this.
  3. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Are you going to use it for gigging, or for jamming at the house?

If you’re going to haul it around to gigs, I’d go for something like the Fender stool that they sell. It’s light and doesn’t take up too much room, as stools go.

If you’re not going to be hauling it around, I’ve seen something called the Pickin’ Glider or something like that. They used to advertise them in guitar magazines. I don’t know anything about them, but they looked comfortable in the pictures. Maybe somebody else knows what I mean and knows more about them.

4. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

5. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Something at IKEA probably works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deeve likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I was looking for a particular look for the studio. This is not the one I got, but the taller swivel bar stool with a back is perfect for what I need at home. They have a ring for your feet and the height is adjustable. Because of the height, it is easy to stand up and sit down while I'm trading guitars, adjusting amps and pedals, or recording.
    IMG_4262.JPG

RodeoTex and Greggorios like this.
  8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Was a very similar thread within the last week or so. Might check that out as well. Not sure there was a favourite, but might give you some more ideas.

Cheers,
    Geoff

9. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

I have a couple of the 24" Fender Barstools. I got one as a freebie and liked it so much that I bought a second one. There's no back on it but the ring at the bottom is perfect for me to rest my feet on.

Fender Barstool.jpg

Bassman8 and Fendereedo like this.
  10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

got this on clearance at Haverty's after a long search a few years ago for $29

[​IMG]

Milspec likes this.
  11. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Get something that has a backrest, is adjustable for height and backrest tension and is padded well. I spend hours at a time on my "throne" and I have to get up every now and then just to stretch. I have found that a ring around the legs is vital so that you can change positions, i.e., feet or foot on the floor and/or on the ring. I've seen some drum thrones that look good but they lack the ring around the legs which drummers don't need. The lack of the ring also makes drum thrones possible to transport. I have the chair I described and bought a cushion from Costco that made a big difference. The chair is much more comfortable.
    It helps to get up from time to time and walk a bit. Don't sit too long; not healthy.

12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Depends on its purpose.

If this is for playing in front of people outside the home....get a proper folding acoustic chair with built in foot rest. They aren't that expensive and fold up nicely.

If this is for playing at home, just get a simple meeting room chair without armrests at Office Depot. I went through several adjustable stools with backrests, but they were never all the comfortable to me. I then moved on to a drummer's throne which was really comfortable, but I wanted a back rest. I finally ended up walking through Office Depot on day and they had a sale on some very basic chrome framed, faux leather fixed position chairs without armrests. I sat in one and it was the perfect freaking height for me. I sat comfortable with a nice backrest and my legs at a perfect 90 degree angle for the guitar to sit comfortable on...no foot rests needed. I bought 4 of them and use them in the home studio when friends stop by to practice. So far, there has been no complaints and they were only like $27 each.

13. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have one very much like this that I got cheap when I worked for a company that dealt in used office equipment. Probably no help to you, unless one pops up at a garage sale, but I like showing off my old chair.

upload_2020-2-23_20-39-39.jpeg

14. 53Strat

53Strat TDPRI Member

If you google "ESP folding guitar stool " you will see a simple solution.

Cheap, takes up no space and gives a guitar stand when not playing.

15. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Roc n Soc drum throne, has a pneumatic adjustment, and it bounces should you "get into" what you're playing. Kinda pricey if bought new, but one shows up on CL periodically.

16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I've got one of these, but it is now used in my garden shed where I paint. For guitar playing, I'm mainly on the spare room sofa.

17. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I love to pick away on the back porch but never had the proper perch ...so just last week I took this photo to a local Amish woodworker and asked him to try to somewhat build me one.
    Should be done in a month so we will see just how close he gets.

Funny thing is, I will wait till its built before I get the cushion so have went to a couple local upholstery shops for prices and the cushion is gonna cost more then the hardwood rocker..o_O armless rocker.jpg

18. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If money wasn't an issue, I'd get a Brian Boggs Sonus Guitar Chair...

19. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I use either a Martin stool or what's called an "observing chair" that's "infinitely" adjustable.

Stool.jpg

[​IMG]

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I use your boring folding card table chair with a padded seat I bring one with me to gigs that I'm not familiar with so I know that I'll have a comfortable chair

otherwise I go for I guess a dining room or kitchen chair with no arms don't like to sit on any kind of stool

I have a bad back I have to play sitting down and sitting on a bar stool aggravates everything just can't get comfy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.