Recommend a good electric or rechargeable string trimmer

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by davo8411, May 18, 2019.

1. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Have a battery one works well but only had it a year so...
    Stihl FSA 56, so far so good

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The "grass" in the UK is like the hair of angels, isn't it?

The O.P. is in Pensacola and so the only question is, has he got St. Augustine, Bermudagrass, Zoysia or something else. Most of which appear to be reinforced with Kevlar and Carbon Fiber.

What's probably wrong is the gas powered unit he has is simply not powerful or robust enough. Maybe he could attach a carbide tipped steel blade - there's conversions out there for that (scary!).

So, in the UK the People grow old and pass on, long before such machines can be destroyed. In the American South, a man could use up 10 weed wackers in his lifetime and so there's seldom anything useful to be found in an old shed. The gossamer, soft-as-a-bed stuff that ya'll call grass wouldn't last for 45 minutes in rugged place like Pensacola.

3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I have the Ryobi 40v, it's pretty awesome. I also have the 40v chainsaw which is amazing. Very affordable good quality, batteries last a long time.

4. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I have an Ego and it rocks. A buddy of mine recommended it...he has a large yard..... .75 acre or so and he can do his whole yard on one battery. I do a lot of edging on my yard and it does a great job. I also bought the blower which also works extremely well. Next acquisition will be the chain saw

5. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister

A neighbor GAVE me an Echo gas powered edger which I used once - could never get it to start again. I also had a TroyBilt trimmer - same results. I took them in for repair, both started once, used once, never to start again. I HATE gas powered lawn tools. I probably did not use ethanol free gas, but even then surely these things could work more than once before dying.

6. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister

I ended up getting a rechargeable Ryobi edger/trimmer and blower package at Lowes this weekend - so far so good.

7. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have a B & D that cost around $100. 20v, 2 batteries. The head pivots so you can edge with it. I have 3/4 of an acre and only occasionally use more than 1 battery. It also has a wheel on the head to help edge straight lines. I have beat the crap out of this and it still works great. I'm slowly moving away from 2 cycle gas lawn equipment.

Nubs likes this.
  8. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

My weedeater just broke this past weekend & I'm in the market for a new one also. The thing I liked about mine (Black & Decker) was that you could pivot the trimmer head to use it as an edger too. I currently have an Ego electric mower & blower and was looking to complete the set with the trimmer. But my neighbor has an earlier made one and the cap over the spool does not want to come off. Plus the head doesn't pivot so no bueno.

I'll prolly get another B&D or a Worx, but I really want one with a pivoting head.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.