Recommend a good electric or rechargeable string trimmer

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by davo8411, May 18, 2019.

1. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Looking for a decent string trimmer/weedeater for my suburban home. I can't keep a gas powered one alive. I'd love a rechargeable one. Just looking for a reputable brand that doesn't quit working after a few uses. Thanks.

2. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Love my Worx. With 2 batteries, i can trim for more than an hour.
    AND free string spools for life. If it broke, i'd buy another.

jimbo735 likes this.
  3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I don't do my own landscaping anymore, the HOA hires guys to do it. About 20 years ago, I used to live in the country and had a 1.5 acre lot with a 120 ft. driveway. Back then, I owned a Black & Decker rechargeable. It had an enormous battery pack that weighed as much as the rest of the unit. In fact, I had two batteries because one would never get the job done in a single recharge. It was a beast, as powerful as any gas powered one I've owned, and I never had any trouble with it for four years. I gave it to the guy that bought my house. My recommendation is look for a sturdy, heavy one with a huge battery.

4. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Dewalt 20v max...

5. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I had a Stihl that worked great. It used a cable, not a battery.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

My wife loves her WORX!
    We have 1 acre.

verb boten likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Boy I am
    Boy I am with you! I have a 1 year old Stihl used twice last year. Gas emptied before winter. I use only non ethanol gas. NOPE, it will start but wont run above idle. Stihl dealer said it would be 3 weeks before he could even look at it. That was over a month ago.
    I also have a Ryobi that has maybe 3 uses from a few years ago. Same situation.
    I just ordered a Craftsman corded 5.5 amp. Right now they are on sale all over for ~ $30! I'm totally done with gas trimmers. My luck with battery items is not good, they seem to last a couple years best. So I went corded.

Ex-riverman likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I got a Weedeater brand back in the late seventies, when they were first becoming popular. It was great for a long time, but since then I've had MANY different ones....at different price points. Some good, some not as good. One gas powered (PIA) ....one Worx (disappointing) the rest have all been corded. Since I have "miles" of extension cords, that's no problem for me. A Craftsman several years ago was good, but when it went out I bought one at Harbor Freight, for about half the cost of a Sears'......so far (couple of years) it's been pretty good. Only thing I don't like....it doesn't have the "bump" line feed, you have to invert it and pull out string when needed.

9. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

And if you time it right and batteries charge rather quickly, you can almost trim non-stop. Drain a battery, put it on the charger and go with the freshly charged battery and keep on trimmin'!

10. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

I trim my string ends with a small wire cutter. Non powered.

radiocaster likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Throw the line trimmers away and just pour the gas on the weeds.

boris bubbanov and puddin like this.
  12. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a B&D 20v and it would be ok to maintain weekly growth and such but didn't meet my needs.
    DeWalt 40v - awesome! Well balanced and powerful. It's kind of a hand-held shredder.
    I have since bought the matching chainsaw and hedge trimmer. All awesome.
    Of course, I'm trying to keep the spring growth beaten back on about an acre. Maybe that's not your situation.

13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Read reviews on anything you're about to buy. I almost bought 3 different battery operated ones, and read reviews that they were all not worth it.

As I saved money for a higher quality one, my father in law bought me a gas one. Having never owned anything but used and Frankensteined mowers and weed whackers, I like my gas one, but totally see the upside for the good B&D battery one I was eyeballing.

Good luck.

14. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

15. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

My choice would be a ryobi. Get one at the big orange box. If it stops working, bring it back with receipt, and they will replace it.

16. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have a mighty Ryobi that is almost as powerful as a gas trimmer. It is a heavier unit and loading the string is a PIA. (Mine is green)

17. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Living in a city of around 100000 souls means that people are always listing unused garden tools on free ad sites for under half the retail price. I guess someone died and a shed is being emptied

But as it is, I don't choose brands much: 75% discount enslaves me to take what I can

You know a good one is prob only 25% better than a bad one. I prefer to buy 4 for the price of one

18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, I got the Craftsman $30 trimmer. It seems to work great! I'm surprised, it has rather small line but it doesnt seem to break much like the gas trimmer. Go figure. I wouldnt use it to clear a field but around the yard it works great! Hard to figure $30 bucks! Bottom line is I can be done trimming in the time I spend each spring trying to figure out how to get the gas units going and keep working! Worth ;pulling the cord around...

Piggy Stu likes this.
  19. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know the electric models well enough to opine, but I am curious what brands you have killed.

Did you have units from Stihl, Echo or Husqvarna?

Did you use ethanol free gas?

20. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

I have a Kobalt 40v that I bought from Lowes that works great. I also bought a Kobalt 40v blower with both batteries interchangeable. Highly recommend both.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.