Recommend a Good Boost with a Buffer

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, May 7, 2019.

1. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Ernie Ball MVP.

[​IMG]

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks guys. I ended up going with the Prestige. Should be here middle of next week. When I have more money, I may give one of these others a try.

3. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Yeah, pretty good but has been replaced with the Elevator (https://www.radialeng.com/product/elevator) -- got it in my rig!

4. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Well you could get on pedal for doing either/or/both (clean boost and klonish fatter OD) VFE Dragon works great for this ;)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The DOD bifet boost is really great, especially for the price. And it has a mini-toggle to switch from buffered to true bypass. Pretty slick.

Woah! I’m not sure what happened.. but I bought my bifet boost for $30 new a year ago or so. Now they’re $60 used on reverb... weird.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

I knew that the Elevator had replaced it, but it looks like that's been discontinued now. I sure hope that Radial gives it a proper upgrade/replacement. I know I'll be hard to please if my PB1 ever dies. I guess there's always the used market for a replacement.

7. micadoo

micadoo TDPRI Member

The Klon already has a really great buffer built into it. I have a DIY Klon and have gotten some really great sounds stacking it with a Katana clone I built from the vero at Tagboard effects blog. It's a super simple build and all the parts can be had for under $20. FYI I usually am playing through a 5F2A Tweed Princeton clone with a 10" Weber Sig. Cheers, Micadoo

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

A REAL Klon, yes… But my Mosky Golden Horse, unfortunately, is true bypass. So this will be my work around until I can get either a proper Klon or a proper Klon clone with a buffer.

micadoo likes this.
  9. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

I think I'm going crazy - I read this thread's title as "Recommend a good toast with butter."

buffer...but it's not TRUE BYPASS? What is the world coming to? /s

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I've built a few boosters: EP, SHO, JHS mini-bomb, Demeter Fat Boost... and a few lower gains I've used as a boost: Timmy, KOT, Klon...

SHO & mini-bomb were noisy. Demeter Fat Boost is all about lows and mids, I like it for leads but not chords. EP is awesome and has some tone shaping switches. Timmy works well as a clean or dirty boost, I like the EQ section. KOT has the ability to bypass the clipping stages making it a bone clean boost. TC Spark and Spark mini are both lovely as well.

It all depends on what you want it to do. Girth? Presence? Mids? Treble boost? EP, Timmy or Spark might be best for experimenting with possibilities because they have some EQ shaping abilities.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. El Tele Lobo

I have the Spark. Been pretty happy with it. I think I was just itching to try something. I'll side-by-side it with the Prestige and see which wins out. One of the two will have to be sold for money reasons, so we'll see.

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've got a 5E3 replica, which is sort of right in between those two. I've also got an old BF Champ and a few Champ'ish heads that I occasionally use into cabinets.

Personally, I like to roll off a bit of top end when I use these amps, so I favor either boosts that aren't on the bright side, or possibly might end up using something with tone controls, which IMO isn't actually a boost, but whatever...

Generally speaking, I think the op amp-based boosts like the Spark are probably going to give you the most mileage, and the Spark probably constitutes the Cadillac of most of them, since it's got tone controls and a voicing toggle. So if you wanted to play around with one knob variations of that, I guess there's the Micro Amp or Boosta Grande, but neither of those are buffered in bypass.

...But if you're concerned about signal loading or whatever, assuming maybe you're running a lot of pedals in the chain, I'd personally just either get a dedicated buffer pedal and drop that first in line, or get something common with a buffer in it, something made by Boss or Ibanez or whatever. The potential problem with a booster that's also a buffer means that you're kind of limited as to where it should be in the signal chain, for both parts of the circuit to be usable how you need them to be.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

Boss BD2

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.