Recommend a Good Boost with a Buffer

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, May 7, 2019.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I have my eye on something, but interested to hear what you guys have had experience with.

2. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

Fulltone 2B if you want a buffer that stays on even with boost off.
    JHS Prestige is another good one, but buffer is disengaged when pedal is off...

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

4. El Tele Lobo

Yes, the Prestige is on my radar and currently top contender. Have my eye on a couple used ones.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Old silver V1 Visual Sound Jekyll/Hyde. The Jekyll side, with the drive turned all the way down and the level cranked

6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Well, what constitutes a "good" boost? Clean boost? Dirty boost? OD kind of reverse-engineered as a boost?

Along the lines of the above, are you expecting a flat EQ response, or do you want it "optimized" to potentially work better when boosted? It need not be something like a treble booster, but it's oftentimes beneficial to roll some bass off (keep things tighter, and potentially keep from driving the next gain stage (e.g. the 1st preamp stage of your amp) into ugly clipping.

There's lots of ways to go w/a boost, and depending what someone wants or expects, some will probably work a lot better than others.

It's also typically important to consider what kind of amp is being boosted.

L.A. Mike likes this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

I have a Tweed Vibrolux clone and a Tweed Champ clone with a 12" speaker. I mostly play clean, so primarily looking for clean boost, but will also likely stack with a klon clone for fatter overdrive to push my amp at lower volumes.

I'm liking what I've heard of the Prestige. I also like the TC Electronic Spark Booster I currently have. Just itching to try something new and attracted to the idea of a potential one-knob solution.

8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I've been using an Origin Cali76 compact for that, kind of -- a little compression and a bunch of clean boost. Sounds pretty invisible with the guitar volume down, doesn't rat out when it's party time.

9. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

El Tele Lobo and gkterry like this.
  10. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

DOD Bifet Boost 410, the recent reissue is really good.
    Switchable between T/B and Buffer, and if selected, the buffer stays on.

11. El Tele Lobo

I would love to, but with only a week off on my break from X-ray school, I won't have time to do it anytime soon. Maybe winter break. I'll look into this link. Looks like something I could try to tackle.

12. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

It's pricey, but the DryBell Unit67 is my favorite. I have it in the amp's effects loop (it's great in front of an amp, too) and use it for a volume boost with a slight bump in the mids and very subtle compression. It's super quiet/clean, has great eq controls, and the compression is very natural to my ears.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps a little context would help enlighten us. What amp are you using? What will be down stream of this boost? What genre music do you play?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Even with no experience soldering, the boost project takes maybe an afternoon to put together. It's crazy how expensive boosts can be when they're so simple!

15. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Radial PB1. It's the best at both that I've ever used. Occasionally I try something else, but I always come back to it. Not all buffers are created equal.

16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

I like the humble Soul Food a lot in this application. Does the “boost" job perfectly, has a buffer/true bypass switch (I use it as buffer), and has the added bonus of nice low-gain tones. Might be a good pick even if you already have a klon-clone.

Timmy is another stellar boost is the Timmy, but I don’t remember if it has a buffered bypass option.

17. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

I just bought an Xotic Super Sweet Boost, which also has a nice buffer.

18. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I think that's what this does, lol.
    BNB3.jpg

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. El Tele Lobo

Check out post number 7. :D As for downstream, I will have a klon clone, a delay, a delay reverb and possibly a looper for now. Eventually, though, about 3 or 4 more pedals beyond that.

I play worship music, country, blues, jazz, funk and western swing as well as surf, spaghetti western and some ambient stuff. You can check my channel, but that pretty much covers it. Good questions all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.