Recommend a good blues fingerpicking book

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by frank1985, May 8, 2021.

1. frank1985

frank1985 TDPRI Member

G'day folks, i'm looking for some recommendations for blues fingerpicking books - the ones I have are real basic and uninspiring. I'm looking to learn something like this with the alternating thumb movements

Standard tuning tab is my preference as it's a bit of a hassle having to switch tunings.

KCKC and miguelalmeida like this.
  2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Greggorios likes this.
  3. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

I used the Grossman John Hurt books to get a leg up on alternating bass. The books have incomplete areas or just plain wrong parts in some sections so once you achieve mastery of what's there you have to sort out the junk. I had the same problem with some of the blind blake material offered by the same group. Ditto the dobro guitar book by Stacy Phillips. Incomplete. Didn't dissuade me you just have to get rhino like with your commitment(s) to keeping the alternating bass happening. Once you have a steady rhythm with your thumb there the rest will fall in line. It took me about 2 weeks at six to eight hours per day to nail down the alternating bass.

frank1985 and SRHmusic like this.
  4. SRHmusic

@frank1985 Here's a video of Stefan Grossman playing a pretty cool Big Bill Broonzy tune. Skip to 1:38 for the start of the tune.

frank1985 and Flaneur like this.
  5. frank1985

frank1985 TDPRI Member

Great suggestions, thanks. Are they exclusively in standard tuning, or are there lessons in alt tunings thrown in as well? I guess with old school fingerpicking blues it's hard to avoid the latter...

6. SRHmusic

I think most are standard tuning in that one book of Stefan's, and also for Rory's book but with a few in drop D in hers (just one string to tune down).

frank1985 likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Native Son

8. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

There is an excellent transcription of Robert Johnson’s tunes out there. Some standard tuning, a lot of open tuning and slide.

9. bebopbrain

bebopbrain TDPRI Member

black_doug and SRHmusic like this.
  10. SRHmusic

Looks promising. It's spiral or "comb" bound, as well, which is a big plus for sheet music books. Let us know if you get it?

I was looking for independent reviews of it in a magazine. One of the editors has a short video on it:

bebopbrain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.