Recommend a Clean Boost

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Vanzant, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hey folks, I am looking at getting a clean boost. I’ve been checking out Mayer’s pedalboard and he looks like he is running the Xotic Super Clean (with buffer) and the JHS Prestige (with buffer), but he also used the Kelley Katana. Right now I am leaning towards the Xotic Super Clean even though it’s a mini pedal…lol. Does anyone have experience with these pedals or have another suggestion? I think I will put it in front of my drives, but who knows I may put it at the end just for a volume boost, or perhaps get two so I have both options. Which pedal would you get? Thanks in advance…cheers!

6F0ECD2B-49C4-4881-84DB-155458775988.jpeg 9A1672E8-0822-4244-85A0-ACF5FA7B55A9.jpeg
    065EC9A0-60DB-4428-9379-4F3F28774355.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  2. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I would get this one. In fact, I have two of them:). I run them at 18 volts.
    [​IMG]

Vanzant likes this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve used loads of clean boosts. It’s a must have pedal for my board.

The two I liked the best out of all the ones I’ve tried were the BBE Boosta Grande, and the TC Electronic Spark mini. Currently using the Spark Mini. It makes me very happy.

igor5 and Vanzant like this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I use a BOSS EQ-200 for tone shaping on the input side and clean boost. I can’t imagine a guitar that wouldn’t benefit from tone shaping. I really like the boost with the 5 watt setting on my Boogie.
    image.jpg

Vanzant, Axegrinder77 and bgmacaw like this.
  5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

My friend has the TC Electronic Spark. He loves it. The Spark mini comes well rated too I believe.

Me, I’d look at something not ‘super’ clean, just ‘quite’ transparent (for want if a better word).

The RC Booster is probably a good choice (RC = Really Clean I believe). I have a clone of it, the Donner Boost Killer. I think it’s great. It adds just a little character, subtle but there. And you can down the gain and up the vol too, of course.

In the same vein, the Danelectro pedal The Breakdown is great. It has a rotary Breakup knob, and in positions 1 and 2, acts like a very clean or light character boost. Going past that gives you other options. So, depending on placement and how you set it up, it can be very versatile. It’s not on my board at the moment, but makes regular appearances. It’s great to be able to reach down and just switch from, say, 2 to 5 on the Breakup and get a different sound.

As I seem to be drawn towards character boosts (love the Boost side on my KoT best, for example), I suspect one day I’ll get the Xotic EP Booster.

Good luck.

Pax/
    Dean

Vanzant likes this.
  6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I have 3 boosters on my board but only use 2 for boosting.
    Boost #1 is an E.P. Booster and is before my overdrive Pedals.

Boost #2 is an MXR Boost/Line Driver after the overdrives to boost for leads. It doesn't change much tone wise.
    lg_mc401.jpg

Boost #3 is Chase Tone Secret Pre-amp. It does add a lot of character, definition, body....? Whatever it's doing is great and it's always on.
    19201.f.jpg

Vanzant likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Because I can get nice clean boost from pedals that also perform OD with coloration snd might even include EQ, I go that way. Klon types are really nice clean boosts, and the ZVex Distortron has a great unique clean boost based on the SHO plus has three bass settings.
    I had a few clean only boosts and sold the Xotic RC because I just don’t find it as useful as a JRAD Archer which has a beautiful clean boost with tone control etc etc.

Vanzant likes this.
  8. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

They all do the same thing... It's just marketing for the most part.

Imo, a boss ge7 is the ticket.. shape it if you want, or just flat boost.

Vanzant likes this.
  9. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If I was starting from scratch - I'd probably get a Barber gain changer first. You can reduce the gain and use it as a nice transparent clean boost, and the gain is there when you want it.

Or, a volume pedal is a must have imo.

Vanzant likes this.
  10. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

Durham Sex Drive and Analogman Boss GE7

Vanzant likes this.
  11. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

The More pedal by Union Tube and Transistor

Vanzant likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.