1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommend a basic top-loader bridge for my Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by mooncaine, Jan 11, 2017.

1. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

Got a Squier Tele, Chinese, thinner body, no skunk stripe, neck feels great. Wants a new bridge.

But it's a top-loader with super-loose tension and not enough downward pressure on the bridge saddles, in my not-so-expert opinion. I say this because the high string's saddle lifts up and 'clacks' against the bridge when I chicken-pick it.

I upgraded its tuners to locking Hipshots (good!) and now I'd like to put a top-loading bridge on it.

It doesn't have to be a Tele bridge. Once I had an 80s Squier Tele and swapped its knuckle-cutting ashtray bridge for a top-loading hardtail Strat bridge. I don't recall it having ever having that clacking problem.

I just don't want to spend crazy money on it. Main interest is having the Tele not 'clacking' when I chicken-pick the high string. I love the easy bending, but wish it didn't clack.

Give me recommendationz, dudez!

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How about a $0.00 alternative? A shim in the neck pocket at the bridge end will let you jack the saddles up a bit more, try something like a piece of playing card or business card about half an inch wide. That will give you more down pressure on the saddles.

nojazzhere, tap4154, Doug 54 and 2 others like this.
  3. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

Oh, heck, as I'm reading similar threads here, it just occurred to me that I could shim the neck instead. Raising it up would mean raising the saddles, which increases downward pressure at the bridge saddle, which should fix the clacking bridge issue. If not, it's easy enough to undo.

What material would you recommend for a homemade shim? I'll have to cut it myself with a Dremel or hacksaw. I have an electric drill. No other saws, no workbench. Could I use soft wood for the shim?

4. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

Aw, sweet, thanks, dsutton! You were answering my question before I had finished asking it.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing wrong with the Wilkenson dual load bridge.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Literally, just a paper business card.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

But it will work. My Nashcaster has a vintage bridge which replaced a modern bridge. The butt crack is normal stuff and the screw holes have been filled and refinished so you'd need to know they were even there in the first place to discover them.

10. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I should have mentioned it's doable, I've done it, but there's some work involved.

11. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't change the bridge on an Affinity. The problem is not the bridge, it's the saddles. Either replace the saddles with (narrow/import) steel saddles, or do the Bubba mod.
    I do like the shim alternative, though! Three relatively cheep alternatives and neither includes drilling into the body.

12. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Not long ago, yegbert explained that MIM standard saddles solved this particular problem on his son's Affinity bridge.

14. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been using a 1/4 strip of old sanding belt ever since I saw that used as a shim by the factory in a Squier '51 I bought. Different grit belts have slightly different thickness. Just cut it with scissors. Won't compress as much as a strip of business card.

nicod98 likes this.
  15. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I replaced the bridge on my Affinity with a vintage style toploader one.

[​IMG]img

For info the Bubba mod is similar to this one I used on my Squier 51

[​IMG]images hosting

chemobrain likes this.
  16. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

I might do the saddles. Hope they come with their own screws. I like the modern bridge plate fine, I suppose.

I think I was wrong on exactly where the snapping noise comes from. The saddles are moving vertically, that is, in the same plane as the guitar's face. They are snapping against their neighbors. And buzzing sometimes. Ugh. D saddle is buzzing now, and it's snug against its neighbors. The high E snaps.

I now think that the saddles are too narrow. The strings kinda squeeze 'em together, evidently not firmly enough.

I noticed this after I just tried a business card shim. It doesn't have a noticeable effect on this problem, of course.

17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Business card. Playing card. Tarot card.

To go thicker, the dense cardboard from the back of a note pad or writing pad.

I've heard of people using sandpaper or abrasive mesh, so the material doesn't move around, but nothing in that neck joint moves anywhere when you crank down 4 screws properly. That doesn't need gorilla torque, either.

18. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

Update: I shimmed the neck, replaced bridge with Strat-like hardtail, set it up... and it feels and sounds awful. It's had many months to settle in. The problem of the bridge saddle on high E snapping against its neighbor remains, though not as easily snapped as before shimming. The whole thing sounds more rattly, more boingy, like a toy.

I'm gonna take it apart and get rid of the shim. I'll either put a normal bridge on it, and drill the through-holes for the strings myself, or I'll set it up as it was before, with the stock bridge, and try something else.

I tried a dot of superglue under the saddle screws. Yuck, and nope, didn't stay stuck.

19. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

The vintage bridge mod worked for me.

On quite a few occasions

[​IMG]

20. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

I suppose 3 big saddles won't knock around as easily as 6 small ones... but I'm not sure I want to give up having fine control over intonation. I dial up my guitars pretty close to perfect, all the way up the fretboard. Can I change the angle of such a saddle as on these 3-saddle bridges?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.