Recommend a 12” speaker.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OttoCorrect, Nov 20, 2018.

1. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

My current fave is the Eminence Lil Texas --lightweight and 125W rating so it should not blow up. Do give it a really good break-in.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Eminence GA12-SC64 Alessandro for me for sure.
    For more power handling and a touch brighter an Emi R W & B.
    Weber Silver Bell 50-75 watt or higher is a great speaker

I do think what speaker depends on what amp though.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Celestion G12H30 Anniversary sounds good with any amp I've ever run through it. Warehouse ET65 is another universally good choice.

uriah1 likes this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

what tube head ? Marshall dsl-Gt75 & v30 x pattern..why..it sits where a guitar is supposed to live and recording
    Plexi-cream back & green back

fender.Emi Texas heat & Celestion type A..heck of a mix there

Singles on their own for all around-- Fender oversize semi open, Celestion Type A
    Marshall- Celstion Type V, closed

5. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

@OttoCorrect , that instrument cable you used as a speaker cable accidentally is also ready for the trash bin, in case that wasn't clear.

You're not the first person to make that mistake, and you won't be the last. When I make speaker cables I use lamp cord so they're easier to tell apart.

JustABluesGuy and Tony474 like this.
  6. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

Yes, I do recommend a 12" speaker.

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I love the Swamp Thang, but damn does he need a bath;)

8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

You're gonna get as many recommendations as there are people...
    I have gone through this same exercise a couple times before. Seems like it's tough to discuss speakers without knowing what amps they are going in. Loved the CRex in my Blues Jr. Liked it a bit less in my Princeton Reverb.

privatesalt and JustABluesGuy like this.
  9. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

For what it’s worth my next head will more than likely be the Egnater Tweaker 15w. Probably 95% settled on trying one of those next.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m not looking for an exact fit, just getting some feedback about what people like about any particular 12”. I’ve been eying up the emi red white and blue. That might suit me well.

I liked my c rex just fine, I wished it had a touch more mids if anything, but that’s coming along with a bright fender voiced Quilter too. Maybe it would balance fine with the Tweaker. Regardless, I’m happy to try some new stuff too and just reaching out for some experience. Again, the “why” is the most important part.

10. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I’ve gigged all of these in a DRRI.

Jensen Stealth 65:
    Scooped, Fendery, Jensen-like but un-spiky midrange, More interesting than neutral-sounding Alessandro (but these are good, too). Neo magnet = Four Pounds Each.

Eminenece Tomita:
    Also in the C12N ballpark, more detailed top end and very efficient (loud). Also less mid spike. But, the C12N has a nice mid bark when pushed that others don’t. This has worked for me when I get tired or bored with an amp’s sound.

Celestion Creamback Neo:
    Also only four lbs. Sorry, but it *is* creamy. Buttery mids, smooth highs, still plenty of firm not flubby bottom end. Surprisingly balanced. Sounds best of all I’ve tried when run “naked” (cranked amp only, no overdrive or fuzz pedals in the way). Also most forgiving when using pedals.

Texas Heat: Very FAT. Built-in breakup sounds great when you just want to crank that Deluxe Reverb up to 8. Unbreakable at 150 watts.

dmagalhaes likes this.
  11. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

New amp is officially a Tweaker 15w head. Also my c rex might not be toast, I cranked my Quilter for a good bit yesterday and had no problems. Either way, open to more suggestions of the best match to this amp.

12. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Eminence, WGS, Weber, etc... all make great speakers. Without parameters, the best we can really do is say that if you buy one of those it will sound good, if not like what you're hoping for.

13. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

+1

14. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Right? And it’s all so subjective as well. The C Rex that sounds great to you in your Blues Jr. may or may not sound as good to them.

I hardly every recommend speakers for that reason. My taste is a bit unconventional and figure my choices are outliers.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  15. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Celestion 90w Cream/Alnico.

Sounds great with either a Marshall/Tweed circuit, or Blackface/Silverface circuits.

Best speaker Celestion has made in 40 years.

Also like the 150w Celestion Redback. Another home run for Celestion.

16. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I run an Eminence Swamp Thang speaker in my Fender Mustang III V2 amp. It is rated for 150 watts. It sounds nice and full with a great low end and tames the shrill highs this amp had before. It compliments the clean tone of my Deluxe reverb preset (based off my 65 DRRI), and handles the internal overdrive, tremolo, delay (both internal and my BOSS DD7), and the spring reverb(digitally reproduced), quite well! It makes the Mustang sound as good as the DRRI IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.