Recommend a 12” speaker.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OttoCorrect, Nov 20, 2018.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

So I’m pretty sure I killed my 12” Cannibas Rex the other day. May need to replace it. My amp head (Quilter 101 Reverb) is also probably going away in favor of a tube head, probably an egnater. I’m just trying to get some ideas for what to replace the 12” with. Don’t worry about matching it to any particular amp, what I’m looking for is what 12” speakers you like and WHY. Give me descriptions and open my eyes to options. What are your favorite 12’s and WHY WHY WHY do you love them?

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Texas Heat for traditional Fender tones. I have yet to hear an amp sporting one that I didn't like.

The other favorite is the vintage Altec-Lansing 417-8C, for warm drive and crystal clear note articulation. A bit heavy, but a sweet speaker.

Shuster likes this.
  3. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

How'd you kill the C.Rex? Cranking the Quilter? 50w amp into a speaker rated for 50w can do that. Solid state amps are better able to generate square wave distortion, which has a good chance to wreck a speaker working at the limit of its ability to move the cone and dissipate heat.

I'm currently enjoying a pair of Eminence in an open backed 2x12, one is the Red, White and Blues, the other is the Swamp Thang. Great complimentary sounds, works well with guitar and baritone, way more volume on tap than any situation I'll ever encounter.

My sealed 2x12 has a pair of Celestions, a Vintage 30 and a V12-60. This cabinet sounds excellent with the lower-wattage tube amps I've used it with. I have a medium-term plan to build an OR80, I feel like that amp would be a great way to push those speakers past their limits.

4. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

How many watts is the egg crater? No point in recommending something underpowered.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

A CRex tends to work well with amps that are somewhat brighter like Fenders or amps voiced more like Fenders. It made a huge difference in my Blues Cube 60 as far as taming a shrill top end.

I also play a 15w Egnater Tweaker and with it a Celestion V30 was a better match as that amp is more balanced tonally with less top end. I run a pair of NOS Tung-Sol 5881s as power tubes.

6. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

I'm waiting for a custom built ported closed back cab with a Celestion Gold to be delivered for my Rebel 20 head. No use saying what it sounds like yet but it was recommended to me by the builder.
    He also suggested a beam blocker btw.

7. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Using a Celestion NEO Creamback in my Marshall Combo. Very well-balanced tone across the range from cleans to dirty..pleasing to the ear...and light!

Art VanDelay likes this.
  8. BakoSound

BakoSound TDPRI Member

I currently have a closed-back 1x12 loaded with an Eminence CV-75 that I absolutely love. Searched for a long time for that tone match. Similar to a Vintage 30 with a smoother upper-mid. Less “spikey”, yet still has a wonderful mid presence that is tight and punchy in all the right places. I get the chime I need from my Tele and Strat while my Les Paul crunch/growl is tight and sweet.
    I also have an Egnater Tourmaster 212 loaded with their Celestion Elite 80s. Similar to a Classic Lead 80. Very nice speaker as well and can be found used online for reasonable prices.
    YouTube has lots of demo-sample vids to help with your decision. Good luck with your search!

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe get the amp first then figure out the speaker? I've got speakers I love in one amp and hated in others.

dannyh likes this.
  10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Eminence GA12-SC64 Alessandro

classic Fender, sweet highs, tight bass, great with dirt

11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1 great classic blackface tone

12. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

Yup. I had the Quilter at a little more than half volume and noticed my cab emitting a slight burning smell. It didn’t stop when I had the volume wide open. Speaker isn’t totally dead but it is now cutting out intermittently and squealing occasionally whenever I try to do anything a little bit loud. In trying to suss out what happened I found out there are substantial differences between instrument cables and speaker cables. (What can I say, most of my amps over the years were combo amps) In my ignorance I had an instrument cable connecting the amp and speaker.

I’ve got the Quilter up for sale not because it killed a speaker but because I’m just not getting the sounds I want out of it. Time for a change. I think a Tweaker 15 would fit the bill nicely for my needs but that’s not set in stone.

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Well all depends if you want American chimey or crunchy.
    Chimey would have to be the Italian C12N or Weber or WGS or EMI copy
    The best speaker in the land is the Celestion Blue. It does everything well.
    Other than that.I have a big list. Alnicos and ceramics..
    Most recent are the Creambacks and Creams and scumincos.
    Ill stop for now..

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  14. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Matching the speaker to the amp is key.

I build amps and the speakers I use the most are the Jensen C12Q he Eminence Cannabis Rex.

The C12Q is tight, focused and warm, is just right for all volumes and it handles the higher volume crunch very well: No flubby bass, and no crackling... the C12Q does better than more expensive speakers in cathode-biased 2x6V6 type amps.

The C-Rex is warm and clean, and its cleans are soft-edged, not mushy. It handles overdrive and distortion very well when you push it. It’s very efficient, one of the loudest speakers you can put in an amp, and it pushes out pretty, round bass notes really well. The top end is very sweet, even forgiving. This speaker couldn’t make a harsh note if it tried and is beautifully balanced bottom to top. Super for creamy lead work.

Many tube amp players “roll tubes” – change tubes to get a “better” sound. Perhaps that money would be more well spent by choosing the right speaker for your needs. While changing from a JJ 12AX7 to a Tung-Sol to a Mullard to an Electro-Harmonix may produce a change in tone, changing to a different speaker will most definitely produce a change... you might think you have a new amp. After changing from a stock Fender Blues Jr speaker to a C-Rex, not only was the amp louder, the difference in tone was startling!

15. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, this.

For instance, I have a alnico Red Fang in my AC15 that sounds great in that amp. I got it from my cousin who had put it in a Princeton modified with a 12-inch baffle and hated it in that amp. That said, I do like the C. Rex very much in my SFDR.

BobbyZ and bftfender like this.
  16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

A lesson learned the hard way. Sorry to hear that but now you know.

For home play, recording, or lighter duty club work the 15w Tweaker is very nice and very versatile amp tonally. I've experimented with some tube rolling and found the following as far as power tubes go.

1) If you favor the Brit (Marshall) setting a pair of EL34s enhances that tonality much better than the stock 6v6s.

2) The US (Fender) and AC (Vox) settings seemed to like the NOS 5881s I finally settled on. Especially the AC setting which I use most often.

IMHO one of this amps strong points is it's ability to use any octal tube to enhance it's built in tonal settings. That's also a big part of it's "tweakability".

Good luck with your search.

17. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

horses for courses. I love the Greenback in my AC15c1 -- gives it a nice fat low end, not shrill in the highs. The Bad Cat 12 -- a version of a Vintage 30, don't know exactly what voodoo they perform on it -- sounds great with every amp I've tried it with. Chinese V30s in a 2x12 Avatar cab sound bright & peaky at living room level but clear and strong at gig level. And the Celestion Gold is a great speaker that I can't seem to find a use for.

So I guess the winner is the Bad Cat.

18. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

A few 12’s I like....

I like the GASC64 in Blackface, mid scooped type amps, adds a little of the mids I generally miss with these type amps and has a very nice vintage Fender tone to it. Ive liked the WGS ET65 in just about everything I’ve tried it in, just a great sounding speaker overall, to my ears. I’ve liked Jensen Neo 12-100s for taming some high end and lightening up an amp. I liked the CR in a DRRI; in everything else I tried it with it was too dark.

But I agree with earlier posts, I’d match the speaker to an amp, otherwise this exercise seems kinda futile.

Greggorios likes this.
  19. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Yes I had that exact experience. Totally different amp.

20. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

WGS 12C/s for the American sound. It's efficient, takes overdrive well, and softens the highs just enough. It's also orange which is way better than other colors.

Milspec and dannyh like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.