Recommend 10" Speaker replacement, Supro Titan...stock is kinda dark...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bluesholyman, Jun 23, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

So the general perspective I am getting from reading about the Titan 1x10 combo, and Supro amps in general is that they are on the darker (warmer?) side of things. The Titan comes stock with a Supro branded 10" hemp cone speaker and all available info makes this out to be the 10" Cannabis Rex from Eminence.

I love the Cannabis Rex, have had them in 2 other combo's before, although they were 12's and they did wonders - kinda shocked it is so reserved here. If anything, I wouldn't mind a slightly less obvious low end and a more present top end. I half wonder if the amp gets brighter as you open it up, but at 50w, its hard to do this at the condo we are staying at. Will have a sound dampened room to work out of in about a month, but am interested in the speaker change now, to help out low volume playing (all volumes really.)

Right now, I am leaning toward the Eminence Copperhead. The Ragin Cajun comes to mind as a possibility but in sound samples I've heard, it sounds a bit too bright while I have heard others comment on the copperhead being the brighter of the two. If $$ were no object, I'd squeeze a Jensen Jet Blackbird 10" in there and be done with it. But for now, need to stay < $100.

Would appreciate thoughts and suggestions.

2. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

How long have you had the amp, and how much has it been played? As you probably know, the C Rex speakers require a LOT of break-in, and I wonder if the 10s take even longer...

PhredE likes this.
  3. bluesholyman

Great question and I'm not exactly sure. I bought it used and I think this one was probably from around 2016 or so - they were blown out on the internet not too long after they appeared so I am guessing it is at least 4 years old and its had a complete retube with JJs

My assumption is that it IS broken in, but I guess there is a chance that it is not, especially if it were a bedroom amp of sorts.

4. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Copperhead is great but my personal preference is the alnico 1028. Best 10 inch speaker of the more than dozen I’ve tried.

In my experience the C Rex is a very dark speaker.

RoscoeElegante and elihu like this.
  5. hotcoffeenochill

hotcoffeenochill TDPRI Member

Can you speak to any of the other 10" you tried and in what style amps? I'm also on a 10" hunt and the Copperhead and 1028 were two of my top current contenders.

6. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Weber ceramic blue pup is nice and bright, silver 10 a little more balanced but still nice and present.

slider313 and JL_LI like this.
  7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I like the Eminence Ram Rod or the Copperhead for a 10" speaker in my Princeton Reverbs. I sold the PR that had the Ram Rod in it and I wish I had swapped speakers before I sold it.

8. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Consider a Rangemaster clone? Not what you're asking, I know.

The speaker that Vox put in the AC10 is pretty bright, you may be able to find one that somebody "upgraded" for cheap. That's how I got one.

9. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Holic

I like the WGS G10C.

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

WGS is the only brand I have not tried, but I’ve tried pretty much all the popular contenders from Eminence, Weber, and Celestion. I would like to try the WGS veteran 10. My favorites are the copperhead, 1058, ramrod, and weber signature ceramic ten, which is a wonderful value. But my search stopped when I found the 1028. I have had higher priced alnico speakers from Weber, including the blue pup and 1025a, and prefer the 1028.

11. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Here’s a video I did comparing the 1028, 1058, and copperhead. I’m not 100% happy with it because I wish I had used a tube amplifier and my bigger cabinet. The tone just isn’t great from that boxy cab, but it will accurately show you the differences between the three speakers. Just know that all three sound a lot better through a bigger cab and with a better amplifier.

12. bluesholyman

Unfortunately, its only 30w and the Titan would lay waste to it rather quickly at 50w.

This one sounded a little too british from the sound clips I heard. Not bad, but didn't seem like what I am going for.

I liked the 1028 for overdriven sounds but overall liked the 1058 the most for both clean and overdriven. I'll have to give the 1058 some consideration.

PhredE, hotcoffeenochill and Hoodster like this.
  13. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Eminence 1028k, 10f150, maybe one of the ga10 options? I wouldn’t put a crex in it if you’re correcting an already dark tone.

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jensen Jet Falcon 40
    It may be 40 Watts RMS, but what is the real power output of the amp?. It's rated to 80 Watts 'Musical Power', so has plenty of safety margin for you. I was a Jensen MOD fanboi, then I heard the Jet Falcon. I'm not ridding myself of my MODs, but new builds will likely feature the Jet range.
    In the MOD range, the 10-35 is a very good speaker. The single best 1x10" I've ever owned had a 10-35 in it. It sounded pretty good on its own, but it really shone in a band setting. The 10-50 has more bass and is arguably smoother ( to my ears ), but the bass is very well controlled at all volumes. I had a pair in a 2x10" and it was gorgeous. They're now both in 1x10" boxes for reasons of flexibility in use.
    The MOD 10-70 is a bassy speaker, and probably not suitable for your needs. It clears up and gains a wonderful balance when the volume goes up, but home playing in a considerate mood volume, it's too bassy.

Do you use a tilt-back stand, or indeed a stand to lift the amp clear off the ground? A good stand may clean things up for you, balance wise.

15. bluesholyman

I have it at least a foot off the ground, maybe 18" sitting on a wooden crate. I'll have to take a listen to that Jensen Jet Falcon. I've been impressed with their Jet line....

16. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Holic

Interesting, I don't get that at all. Could be the sound clips don't accurately replicate the tone or could be we just have different ears and hear things differently.

17. bluesholyman

I could be wrong - thats just what came to mind.

18. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I have both. The Copperhead is definitely brighter sounding IMO, and it makes it seem more aggressive and distorted sounding, unless you're just pushing a super clean amp tone at lower volumes.

The RC is so efficient that IMO it sounds much more like a high power 12 - the mids and bass almost kind of diminish what's going on with the treble. If I'm expecting any kind of an old school amp sound, which typically means the 10s are supposed to be imparting characteristics of their own (e.g. enhancing harmonics from either the amp or pedal clipping), then the RC is actually more like my last choice.

19. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Id probably hunt down a JBL K110. But, that's because I'm a Fender/JBL guy. Even though they feel like toys, the Marshall Greenbacks sound quite good. I bet those Copperheads sound nice. You just have to try a bunch out, imo.

20. bluesholyman

I think this amp is mostly a pedal platform because getting it cooking is quite a loud endeavor. I've read through your thoughts and I am not sure what you are suggesting, other than both don't work in certain scenarios.

I had a JBL D120F for a short period of time that I ran a SS jazz amp into - oh man, what a glorious sound that was. The K110s you suggest seem a bit pricey and I'm not really wanting to hunt down vintage unless I trip over it.

Refugee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.