RECLAIMING OLD SKILLS.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I'd lost my confidence with a soldering iron for decades to the point where I've spent years (and cash) outsourcing simple soldering to repair shops.

As a kid I was never out of Tandy/Radio Shack buying components and wouldn't think twice about modding guitars, pedals amps and speakers, using the skills with a soldering iron that my physics teacher at school taught me and few classmates during his lunch hours.

I made my own leads for years, nothing ever failed, then for some reason in the late 90s I just stopped; probably as a result of some nosey and critical a-hole looking over my shoulder at a time when my confidence was low in most things.

Anyway, after getting an eye watering quote for a custom guitar loom, I decided last night to dig out my old soldering iron, some old pots and busted leads and give myself some consequence free practice. After some spitting like a spotty youth at a Damned concert, things began to settle down and my old skills began to come back within a couple of hours with some additional assistance from some helpful souls on YouTube.

The north of £120 quote for the guitar loom is now getting spent on a soldering station.
It feels great when the fear goes and the old skills come back.

Next on the agenda will be the router and the angle grinder.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
When I built my first guitar, my 51 Nocaster, 4 years ago it was the first time I'd touched a soldering iron in probably 30 years! LOL!!! It took me a bit but, just like you, it all came back. I've done several harnesses now, even complicated jobs like 335's, and repaired some too! It's a great feeling to know that the skills are never really lost, they just sort of lay dormant until you need em again... even decades later ;)

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
I'd lost my confidence with a soldering iron for decades to the point where I've spent years (and cash) outsourcing simple soldering to repair shops.

As a kid I was never out of Tandy/Radio Shack buying components and wouldn't think twice about modding guitars, pedals amps and speakers, using the skills with a soldering iron that my physics teacher at school taught me and few classmates during his lunch hours.

I made my own leads for years, nothing ever failed, then for some reason in the late 90s I just stopped; probably as a result of some nosey and critical a-hole looking over my shoulder at a time when my confidence was low in most things.

Anyway, after getting an eye watering quote for a custom guitar loom, I decided last night to dig out my old soldering iron, some old pots and busted leads and give myself some consequence free practice. After some spitting like a spotty youth at a Damned concert, things began to settle down and my old skills began to come back within a couple of hours with some additional assistance from some helpful souls on YouTube.

The north of £120 quote for the guitar loom is now getting spent on a soldering station.
It feels great when the fear goes and the old skills come back.

Next on the agenda will be the router and the angle grinder.
good for you, lots of fun taking back what was yours so long ago

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Late 90's huh? That's when I started building amps! Working on a Klon Clone, man it's hard to solder tiny connections!!! This is my first pedal...

Guitar pick added to show scale..... This was a bare board when I started....

Klon board complete.jpg

Klon before beginning.jpg