Reclaiming and repurposing historic wood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Rich Rice, Oct 6, 2012.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Ruh Roh! :twisted:

I'm dying to see your take on a heavy relic, Rich. Let the games begin!

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Chris,

What cap is that you've used there?

Rob

3. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Gotta love those old wood builds.. ;)

LOL.. I'm not talking "heavy" like the Rory Gallagher Strat- but it definitely won't look like it just rolled off the line. I guess we'll see how far I can stand to take it.. :lol:

4. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Oh boy, just remembered that big piece of a bar desk I got after it being removed after some decade. Might not be pine but it sure is dry as.... Well you know.

Lemme schedule that for May. :)

5. Rich Rice

Showing some restraint I see.. ;) May is like... umm.. two whole weeks away!

I figure I can at least get this body rough cut tomorrow, it won't happen today. Too many other commitments today.. :cry:

6. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

Old. :cool:
    I have a nice stash of '40s-'60s capacitors that are great in some projects.
    This particular cap came from the same person as the piano.

7. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

My only problem right now is to buff and assemble the guitar I am building right now next week. :) the guy's flying from berlin to istanbul to get it, I believe he'd be utterly depressed if he flies for nothing :)

Give me 19 months Rich, then I'll be in another country. If I get lucky, I'll try to reach a quarter of your efficiency :)

8. Barncaster

Hey Chris,

Did you meter it prior to usage? Had it drifted? I hit an estate sale of an old Ham who had passed and I was a day late so all the tubes were gone but when I walked into his shop there was a big cardboard box of old caps. My heart jumped. i could see NOS bumble bees in there and all kinds of stuff. I remained calm an cooly asked the sales guy how much for the box of "parts". I think I got it for $5. Hee hee hee. That and a mint old Craftsman router for a song and I flew home. Most of the values weren't usable for guitar work but it did net several .047 old Mallory wax caps, quite a few nice .047 pink Pyramids, .022 and .015 Jerr-Lees and one NOS set of the correct bumble bees used in 59 LPs! Not bad for $5! Gotta love a good estate sale even if the premise is sad.

Rob

9. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

No, I didn't measure it. No need if it sounds how I want!

10. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

First electric I ever built, I threw a cap in there from an electric forklift, lift interrupt and it sounded fantastic. To this day I don't know what it is :lol:

11. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

A Forkilftcaster:eek: :lol:.

12. crazydave911

I worked on electric forklifts, robots and order selectors over 20 yrs.............a lot of tales there................some even worth telling :lol:

13. Barncaster

Hey Dave,

Did the forklift still work after you pirated the cap? ;-)

Rob

14. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

A new thread for the Bad dog cafe forum? I like stories, ready to subscribe. ;)

15. Barncaster

Hey Chris,

Agreed. A man after own heart. Someone from the Antique Shunning Society will come out swinging any moment. ;-)

Rob

16. crazydave911

Seeing as how I'd replaced the lift interrupt assembly, yes. I used to keep the old ones as they were cast aluminum boxes with sheet steel lids. They made perfect stomp boxes and even had a mounting flange to mount them to a pedalboard ;)

17. Barncaster

Excellent!

Reclaiming and repurposing old electrical components! Thematically coherent!

Rob

18. Rich Rice

Yep.. I like the idea too.. When I need steel components for certain builds (bridge plates, jack plates, control plates, etc.) I have an old chassis from a 1950's Wurlitzer organ amplifier from which I like to cut and fabricate the pieces. Luckily, it's quite large- so it has lasted me several years so far.

Something about utilizing pieces of old instruments to create new instruments is very appealing to me.

As a kid, it was commonplace to find abandoned TV sets and stereo cabinets in old farm fields close to my home- we used to go back and pick those up with the Radio Flyer wagon tied to the frames of bicycles, and spend hours disassembling the components- condensers, transformers, chokes, resistors.. My friend still has all those old parts, in drawers in his basement.. When I need something hard to find, it's usually a phone call away.. ;)

We ruined a bunch of those old condensers, but they were so plentiful back then..

Since we lived on a private lake, we had beach adjacent to the lots.. We would run lamp cord to the beach with alligator clips soldered on the ends, the other end went into a cigar box with a switch. Then plug the switch into an outlet on the back porch.. There are not many things that bring more joy to a 10 year old than connecting a few wax condensers to alligator clips, burying them in the sand, then running to the patio and pushing a button- and watching/hearing them explode and watching the smoke pile out of the sand.. :D

19. Rich Rice

And it begins..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. The String King

The String King Tele-Afflicted

Looks cool!!

We are having metal doors put in at work soon to replace the tired wooden ones. Big thick old timbers, enough to make 10 Tele's!

Reckon I should salvage some of the better bigs? Not sure what wood it is but the door has been there since at least '73 and not fallen apart yet!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.