1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reclaimed Redwood Build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Fixcinater, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Fixcinater

Fixcinater TDPRI Member

Found a reclaimed redwood T-type body locally, apparently from a local house that was being rebuilt or something. He bought it from someone who had done the work of turning it into a guitar, who may have been a member here as I found some old threads about "1890s reclaimed redwood" and that's what this was described as. Seller also had a Warmoth Strat neck that had been modified to fit into the Tele pocket for reasonable money so I bought both to start off this build.

My other electric is my first "Good" guitar, a Gibson Explorer from 2001 with Burstbuckers. Amps are currently a '66 blackface Bandmaster, 5F1 Champ clone in a 1x12 combo and a Mini-Tonemaster/Pato-Tone. Had an '04 American Telecaster which I really liked the pickups of.

I mention the mini amps because part of the reason for the Tele build is to have something that I can keep on a stand or hanging on a wall without worrying about it like I would the Explorer. Something ready to play for 5 mins, vs dragging out the case and tube amps.

Current parts accumulation:
    Redwood body, fairly thin clear nitro finish with lots of dings/marks, thru strung.
    Warmoth vintage truss maple neck.

Sung-il Wilkinson chrome bridge
    Wilkinson compensated saddle set
    Ugly black bridge screws
    Rock Rabbit alu tilted switch control panel
    TCS nickel '52 slot head neck plate/screws

Bridge pickup from Squier CV

En route:
    Fender 4-way switch
    Switchcraft jack
    Callaham electrosocket

Still need:
    Neck pickup of some kind
    Better/different bridge pickup to match whatever future neck output is?
    Pots (probably a no-load for the tone), likely do the resistor trick to see a 250K for bridge and 500K neck
    Knobs (Chicken heads be too weird for use on a guitar?)

Body is routed for a P90/Filtertron neck pickup and standard Tele bridge which is throwing me for a bit of a loop...

I'm not opposed to a P90 but with my Explorer having Burstbuckers, I want a contrast to that and not another thick beefy tone. I guess I should just order a cheap Tron and a P90 and try both?

Does anyone make a plate to run normal Tele neck pickup in a P90 route? Would that be insane to do?

Any proven/repeatable way to knock down some of the shine off the chrome bridge since everything else is nickel/softer finishes?

Attached Files:

2. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

Looks like a nice build. I love P90s, but I would think that a standard tele single will fit in the route.

As for the bridge plate, you can throw it in a canister with some small rocks and shake the crap out of it. I did this with a chromed strat bridge that was too clean for a build. It is a scary process, but doesn't result in the damage that you would expect. Just dulls the finish and adds some light scratches. May or may not be what you are going for. Might want to try it on something else first to test.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I degloss my new chrome parts with a green 3m pad, but a used one is less aggressive and a new one may be too much.
    A circular motion prevents scrub lines.

Redwood is nice, a bit soft and light but nice.

4. Fixcinater

Fixcinater TDPRI Member

Would you happen to have an image of that? Sounds like fun and about what I'm looking to do to it.

Do you try to be even with the application of the pad across all surfaces or replicate "realistic" wear patterns?

5. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Sand will even get you the effect you're after if small rocks sound scary. It's basically DIY media tumbling. I'd use sand and a spare pillowcase so the only hard object coming into contact with the bridge is the sand. It's not a quick process, though.

6. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

7. telemnemonics

I don’t try to relic the chrome, just make it less new looking.
    A few months of playing adds some wear pattern.
    So basically I try to make it even across a whole chrome part and scuff in a circular motion rather than make straight lines that look wrong.

8. 1 21 gigawatts

Here is a bad photo of the strat bridge that I did. I had to shine a flashlight directly at it to pick up the scratches. Makes it look worse than it does in normal lighting, but you get the idea.
    20210405_201843.jpg

9. Fixcinater

Fixcinater TDPRI Member

Awesome, thank you. I'll give it a go. $10 for the bridge plate, I'm not too worried about it. Worst case, I strip the chrome off and have my buddy re-plate in nickel as he's got a setup to do automotive fasteners for restorations.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. Fixcinater

Fixcinater TDPRI Member

That is helpful, thanks! I'm thinking a combo of the rocks/sand tumbler and some "de-glossing" as you describe will get me close enough for first go-around.

11. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

Man that redwood is gorgeous. You only see grain like that in really old trees. Nice find.

Fixcinater likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

Oh you won’t be stripping the chrome OFF with a 3m pad!
    Just making a dulling pattern of fine scratches.
    Here’s two examples, bought both bridge and control plates new and scuffed them up.

635E1FAB-597C-41BB-A222-53CC9AC48D0C.jpeg C443F950-B3B1-4B80-A67C-D776159DBC4D.jpeg

Fixcinater likes this.
  13. 1 21 gigawatts

The sand will probably just polish it more at the speed that you will be shaking it by hand. Maybe smaller rocks (like aquarium gravel) would result in a nice even finish??

Fixcinater likes this.
  14. Fixcinater

Fixcinater TDPRI Member

I got it strung up top-loader style with some 10-46s (Slinkies) the other night and dang, it's impressively loud played acoustically. Still haven't decided on neck pickup but some P90 samples are sounding mighty tasty.

15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Nice guitar. I always enjoy seeing reclaimed wood being used.

RE the tarnished look: wouldn't the muriatic acid way be there best to break the shine and add a few years?

Big plastic tub with a lid. Put the chrome parts in, then put in a small dish of muriatic in also. Put the lid on the big container and wait for the acid fumes to do it's thing.
    Check every hour or so to see the progress happening. Pull it out when you get the desired amount of dullness.
    No scratches.

Fixcinater likes this.
  16. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sit the bridge outside for the next few weeks while you finish the guitar.

It won't look "new" but also won't be relic'd.

Fixcinater likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.