Rechargeable Batteries

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Codger, May 15, 2013.

1. Codger

Codger Tele-Meister

Seems like my life runs on AAs and AAAs anymore. I'm going to give rechargables another try. You folks have any favorites, or favorite suppliers?
    Thanks

2. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

3. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

I frequently wonder if the 'old wisdom' regarding rechargeable betteries still holds. Many moons ago I was told to always allow the rechargables to drain down as completely as possible for best life, but I've bought a few (admittedly cheap) things recently that were dead after 6 months and only 2 or 3 uses. I got a new smartphone last year and am very conscientous about letting it wear all the way down and then letting it charge all the way back up. I watch my wife constantly plugging hers in for 20-30 minutes at a pop and wonder if that's why my phones outlast hers by three to four times.

Caveat Emptor, I reckon.

4. Lostinthe50s

Lostinthe50s Tele-Afflicted

NiCd and NiMh run down before charging. All others keep charged.

5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

This! +++

I'm so glad to have heared about the Sanyo Eneloop batteries right here on this forum many moons ago.
    they last a long time and don't drain when not in use.
    just what I needed for my camera, my Zoom H1 recorder, my bicycle lights, my pre-amp pod etc.

6. lowatt

lowatt Tele-Meister

The Eneloops are what I like the best. They hold a charge. The self discharge rate is very slow. That makes them useful in low consumption devices.

It's all about charge cycles that make all rechargeables wear out. In real world use the rest is just myth.

7. Fink132

Fink132 Tele-Meister

Yes it is NOT necessary to completely discharge the new cell phone batteries anymore. In fact, doing that can render your battery useless if you allow it to discharge below a certain point. The computer will not be able to detect a battery and thus it will not charge ever again.
    New batteries these days do not suffer from memory effect and can be recharged anytime

8. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

That old wisdom applied to old batteries. Lithium ion is different, and that's what's most common nowadays.

9. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Another Eneloop fan, here...

10. Codger

Codger Tele-Meister

Thanks guys, Eneloop it is. That site looks good also. What a great resource this place is!

11. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

I'm thinking rechargeable is the way to go also.

I just bought a 10-pack of AA and a 5-pack of 9 volts and it was like $30. o_O

12. Slow Reflexes

Go to Costco, if you have to keep using alkaline (some electronics don't like the rechargeables. 48 AAs for $15.

13. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

Good to know! My bluetooth mouse goes thru them fairly quickly.

14. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

my apple mouse runs fine on rechargeables (also the keyboard, sound recorder, camera flash, flashlight & anything else that runs on AAs). eneloops will save you $$$ in the long run and damn handy besides.

15. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

I just bought the Yamaha THR10c (great little amp!!) and it runs on 8 AA batteries (or the power adaptor off course).

If i load the amp with Eneloop batteries, which they recommend, do i need a separate charger? Or will the power adaptor do the recharging inside the Yamaha?

16. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

What I gather from page 13 of the manual you need to recharge them outside the THR in a separate charger.
    make sure to get a new smart one. ;)

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?category_id1=16171&category_id2=16173&product_id=1602647

17. Slow Reflexes

Agreed - by "some electronics," I was referring more to things like blood testing meters and insulin pumps where the specific voltage is a bit more critical.

18. ellisvertellis

Thanks for the input!

I did read the manual, but it doesn't really say you need a separate charger, does it?

When using batteries
    Use AA alkaline batteries or nickel hydride batteries*.
    Make sure that the batteries are installed with their +/- poles aligned properly as shown below.
    * When using nickel hydride batteries, we recommend eneloop® batteries. When using eneloop batteries, please read
    the eneloop battery instruction manual carefully. (eneloop® is a registered trademark of Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd.)
    * Do not use manganese batteries.
    * Follow the “CAUTION” section (pages 4-5) to use the product in a safe and proper manner.

Also in the "caution" section there's no mentioning about a separate charger...

What do you mean "get a new smart one"?

EDIT: ok, got the smart charger figured out...

19. Slow Reflexes

The amp isn't designed to charge the batteries, therefore you need to use the charger that's designed for the batteries. The smart ones will turn themselves off when the batteries are full so as not to ruin the batteries.

I believe the instructions for the batteries also specifically say something to the effect of "don't charge these anywhere other than in the right charger."

20. ellisvertellis

Ok, makes sense. I'll get a charger :lol:. Suggestion on brand/type?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.