Recessed electrosocket port

blackbelt308

Tele-Holic
I've seen a couple of different methods described to create a recessed port for an electrosocket, but this one worked so well for me that I thought I'd post it here for other builders. I'm in the midst of building four guitars (one Tele, three Jazzmasters) using a chambered "clamshell" approach, and I wanted to recess the electrosockets, especially for the Jazzmasters as I was planning for a side-mounted output jack rather than on the pickguard. Hope this is useful to you!

Used a Rockler self-centering doweling jig to drill a 1/4" pilot hole at the desired location. Body clamped to my bench, jig in place...

Output port 1.jpg

I considered other, cheaper jigs (e.g. from Amazon) but decided to spend a bit more for the Rockler jig. I think it was a good decision... This thing rocks! I didn't drill too deeply as I wanted to make sure that the arbor pilot would still have something to bite.

Output port 2.jpg

Spot-on centered pilot hole!

Output port 3.jpg

I used a 1" hole saw with a 1/4" piloted arbor to create the outer shelf for the electrosocket. This is best done at very low speed... You don't want to go too deep, and you don't want to tear up the wood. Practice several times on scrap before you try this on your precious guitar body!

Output port 4.jpg

Looks good so far!

Output port 5.jpg

Next, switch to a 7/8" hole saw on the same arbor to drill the main hole...

Output port 6.jpg

There we go! Lightly sand with 220 to clean up the edges.

Output port 7.jpg

Electrosocket in place! Just what I had in mind!

Output port 8.jpg

This worked very well for all four bodies. The Tele body had a flat spot for the output jack, but the Jazzmaster bodies I built were rounded so recessing the electrosocket was really key to getting a good look for those projects!

Output port 9.jpg

Ciao!
Rick

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
see how ragged that hole saw cuts.. do it this way... mark the center point to locate the electro socket... drill with a 1" forstner but to a depth of 2mm, then take a ⅞ forstner bit and drill the remainder through to the electronics rout... and below is what ya get..

but there's a couple of things to consider... as you finish the body, the lacquer builds up.. that has to be removed to insert the electro socket.. I took a ⅜ X 24 (i think) screw, ran the electro socket onto it, locked it withj a couple of jamb nuts.. Dremeled in a few "saw" teeth.. si on assembly day, I can chuck it up adn run it into the hole, removing any lacquer over spray...

and there IS an alternative way to accomplish the same effect... drill a 1inch hole all the way.... then take a small section of schedule 20 (the thin walled) PVC, cut a slice down one side, slip it into the hole, leaving a ⅞ inch for the body of the electrosocket.. glue the pvc in place and rock on..

note also, whenever you drill these holes they should be 90 degrees perpendicular to the flat area where the jack will go...

DSC_7113.jpeg

blackbelt308

Tele-Holic
see how ragged that hole saw cuts.. do it this way... mark the center point to locate the electro socket... drill with a 1" forstner but to a depth of 2mm, then take a ⅞ forstner bit and drill the remainder through to the electronics rout...

I hear ya and I respect your considerable experience! However, without a floor drill press and a way to clamp the body to it to drill precisely with a Forstner bit, my attempts at that method were way more ugly than what I was able to do with the hole saw.

and there IS an alternative way to accomplish the same effect... drill a 1inch hole all the way.... then take a small section of schedule 20 (the thin walled) PVC, cut a slice down one side, slip it into the hole, leaving a ⅞ inch for the body of the electrosocket.. glue the pvc in place and rock on..

That is a slick idea!

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I've seen a couple of different methods described to create a recessed port for an electrosocket, but this one worked so well for me that I thought I'd post it here for other builders. I'm in the midst of building four guitars (one Tele, three Jazzmasters) using a chambered "clamshell" approach, and I wanted to recess the electrosockets, especially for the Jazzmasters as I was planning for a side-mounted output jack rather than on the pickguard. Hope this is useful to you!

Used a Rockler self-centering doweling jig to drill a 1/4" pilot hole at the desired location. Body clamped to my bench, jig in place...

View attachment 999092

I considered other, cheaper jigs (e.g. from Amazon) but decided to spend a bit more for the Rockler jig. I think it was a good decision... This thing rocks! I didn't drill too deeply as I wanted to make sure that the arbor pilot would still have something to bite.

View attachment 999093

View attachment 999102

I used a 1" hole saw with a 1/4" piloted arbor to create the outer shelf for the electrosocket. This is best done at very low speed... You don't want to go too deep, and you don't want to tear up the wood. Practice several times on scrap before you try this on your precious guitar body!

View attachment 999103

Looks good so far!

View attachment 999104

View attachment 999105

View attachment 999106

View attachment 999107

This worked very well for all four bodies. The Tele body had a flat spot for the output jack, but the Jazzmaster bodies I built were rounded so recessing the electrosocket was really key to getting a good look for those projects!

View attachment 999112

Ciao!
Rick
Great idea. Thanks for sharing this.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
without a floor drill press and a way to clamp the body to it to drill precisely with a Forstner bit,
what?? everyone doesn't have that?? :eek: Yeah.. you're right..i overlooked that many do not have access. . . but heres a tip.. many High Schools and Community Colleges offer evening "classes" where for a few bux you will access their wood shops.. and the instructor to remind ya to watch where those fingers are relative to the blade...

But for the few dollars involved you gain the precision quality tools will allow..

Wheelhouse

Tele-Meister
Floor-standing drill press???

There are way too many tools to this hobby. Maybe the hole saw isn't a bad way to go.

What if you did the first 2mm deep outer edge with the forstner, and then used the hole saw for the rest of the opening?

This is timely, as I have an electrosocket en route that will arrive in a couple days, and more sawdust to make. :)

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Floor-standing drill press???

There are way too many tools to this hobby. Maybe the hole saw isn't a bad way to go.

What if you did the first 2mm deep outer edge with the forstner, and then used the hole saw for the rest of the opening?

This is timely, as I have an electrosocket en route that will arrive in a couple days, and more sawdust to make. :)

Yep! And then you get bored and buy tools for your tools. Like this digital depth gauge!

I was really fortunate though, I inherited the drill press, bandsaw, and radial arm saw from my grandpa. So the little upgrade on the drill press isn't much. Haha

20220519_201158.jpg

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
I really wanted to use two Forstner bits in succession but never managed to get a perfect result.
the "secret" is to have everything locked down solid so there can be no wobble, or no drift... that's only gonna happen with a drill press where the body can be clamped into position.. or by creating some kinda jig to hold the body and a hand drill solidly...

It CAN be done with a router and a template, but that's "Grad School" level .. one of those things that if I hafta tell ya how to do it.. you can't.. use another method.. A skilled woodworker would see it as, "Oh hell yeah.. duh.." and an amateur sees it as, "Oh hell.. are you kiddin??"

1stpitch

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Cool. I came up with something similar on my first build a couple years ago. Mine already had the 7/8" hole drilled, so I had to come up with a little bit different rig to center it, but still using the hole saw like you. Not an elegant solution, but it worked.

jwsamuel

Friend of Leo's

View attachment 999092

View attachment 999093

View attachment 999102

View attachment 999103

Looks good so far!

View attachment 999104

View attachment 999105

View attachment 999106

View attachment 999107

View attachment 999112

Ciao!
Rick
Looks good. I plan to steal this idea for the two Teles I am building.

jwsamuel

Friend of Leo's
many High Schools and Community Colleges offer evening "classes" where for a few bux you will access their wood shops.. and the instructor to remind ya to watch where those fingers are relative to the blade...
I had flashbacks to when my junior high woodshop teacher cut off his fingertip showing us the safe was to use a jointer.