1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

RECENT VISIT TO GUITAR CENTER AND SAM ASH

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John_B, Feb 27, 2021.

1. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Last week I drove 40 miles to visit these two stores. Rarely do I go to either store, I would rather do on line business with Sweetwater. I have always felt Sam Ash was more friendly but Guitar Center had a better selection.

I went to buy my 2nd Acoustasonic 15 amp to use in tiny acoustic gigs. I was very surprised at how friendly and layed back the sales people at Guitar Center were. They were nowhere near their trademark arrogant, I know what you need better than you attitude and this time they actually gave me more than 30 seconds of their time. I can't remember a better visit to GC. Their walls were semi bare, so was the whole store. I was told that Fender's Mexico Plant has been shut down for a while due to COVID and they did not know when they could bring in this amp that I wanted. My salesman was very apologetic and actually seemed concerned about me. I left the store thinking "Wow, that's a first!".

Next stop was Sam Ash about 3/4's of a mile away. The store had a little more stock but not much. Everyone was very friendly and everyone was smiling. My sales rep kind of knows me as an old timer and we always drop names and mention "well I saw so in so recently",ect. He searched their warehouse and did find me my little amp though his computer on hand data said differently. Then the Store Manager walked up and joined in our conversation and offered me a full time job repairing guitars!

This made my day but I politely declined. I did offer them 1 or 2 days a week until they do find a full time tech and maybe one day a week as needed. Maybe I will receive a phone call, maybe I won't.

They all seemed very relaxed and happy. I bet they are all very happy to be back at work! I have really never had a bad experience at Sam Ash but I have had a few at GC.

Maybe I will be dropping in a little more often now. I did enjoy seeing the new different Telecasters on the wall.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    SRHmusic, djh22, Jakedog and 10 others like this.
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Let me know about acoustisonic. Looking at strat version

3. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

My last visit to GC last week was a nice one. They honored a coupon that expired, which caused a NGD for me.

4. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

This was the amp, not the acoustic/electric guitar.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Our smaller gc has much less stock of course.

But there is a Fender TMDR I'd like to try.

6. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

There are two GC’s and a Sam ash immediately nearby me.

First GC is very friendly, but very bare right now. The second GC has a lot in stock surprisingly, but it is staffed by the cockiest morons in the industry. All you hear them talk about to customers is themselves, and it’s the most grating self praise you could hear. Their high inventory levels make sense in this context. It’s not worth the interaction with the staff...

After years of the Sam Ash just being thick with misery inside, they finally have a solid crew that aren’t jaded about not becoming rock stars and I like stopping by there too.

7. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Never new that Sam Ash had problems. Always knew GC had problems.

8. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Only Sam Ash I've ever been to was a cheesy adult gift shop with a bunch of CDs and maybe 5 or 6 cheap guitars.

9. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

Last GC visit. "What brings you in today?" Don't know why that annoys me. My response that day was "Looking for some tires".

NoTeleBob, ArcticWhite and John_B like this.
  10. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I'm well documented as a fan of GC. I'm surrounded by them. I can't think of any reason to not like them. But I do not know why I don't shop at Sam Ash even though there is one anout 3 miles from me. I have bought one thing there, a Zoom H2 recorder that I still have, but I just don't go back. Glad your road trip was a good one.

11. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

how did that badinage work out for you?

12. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

tattypicker, they let me browse on my own. Picked up the strings I went in for.

13. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

In SoCal. I'd love to know which locations these are.

posttoastie likes this.
  14. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have five or six GCs within a 100 mile radius of me. They vary greatly but a couple treat me really well. Up until fairly recently, one of those had abysmal customer service. Now that one is quite good and I observe there is a new manager. Really, the worst part of the experience at GC is the computer system, which is guaranteed to extend your visit by 20 minutes.

15. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

You probably have ideas, but names are withheld to protect the innocent...

16. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Agreed, it's annoying.
    But they do it to let you know they see you. It cuts down on shoplifting.

Tek1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.