(Recent) NGD - 79-80 Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Matthias, Mar 19, 2020.

1. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Great looking strat. Congrats.

Matthias likes this.
  2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Case repair update...

Here’s the before:
    F7DA77A2-5A60-4FD1-9F2C-791168736D98.jpeg

After:

17F01C80-CF49-41DA-A0E2-138F9D383B83.jpeg

I couldn’t be bothered to get it perfect, but if I wanted to spend two days on the thing, I could get it less noticeable. As it is, it’s probably stronger than the original corner!

The process was to CA glue the broken parts then fill the missing area and cracks with 2-part epoxy (Milliput) in a couple of layers, texturing it while it was soft. As it’s a textured surface, I brush-painted it with Tamiya semi-gloss black, which is a close match. No paint is going to be perfect. I’m happy that it’s not an eye-sore, the case is useable and you might mistake it for a more minor repair.

Also, I realised I have a grey-bobbin X-1 in the bridge, tipped off by the yellow wire. It has the ‘96’ pencilled on too.

Neck: 5.75k
    Middle: 5.68k
    Bridge: 7.3k

Sounds great.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Whoa... the 75 is identical to one I had. Even the wear marks look the same. I loved it. It played great, and was super light. I stupidly ditched it because it had been molested and at that time I wanted one that was all original. Never found another one that good.

The molestation was a lot, though. It was originally a hardtail that had been routed for a trem. Excellent job too, but you could tell because the inside of the route was completely unfinished fleshly cut wood. It had also had the pickups replaced with Texas Specials and the pots and switch were new as well. Because it was originally a hardtail it was also missing the original bridge assembly. It was just all too much for me at the time.

Fast forward to now, I really wish I’d kept it. Because now I don’t give a damn. A great guitar is a great guitar. And for the $500 I paid at the time it was more than worth it for a strat that good.

hrstrat57 and Matthias like this.
  4. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

HA!

That's so cool that we both paid $500 for our '75 Mocha Stats.

What are the odds?

I rarely get rid of my nice guitars because I don't want to have any regrets.

I've sold off about 40+ guitars over the last 5 years, but not one of them was a regret.

Hopefully with all that's going on with this Covid19, I hope I don't get into financial trouble and have to sell off my collection.

Matthias and Jakedog like this.
  5. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

That's a great find, OP!

I've had a few 70s Strats over the years, including a couple of 79s. It's amazing how different the neck shapes can be from one guitar to the next. Not to mention the body weights. When you've found The One, you know it right away.

Matthias likes this.
  6. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Beautiful! I like the natural finish, particularly on Strats. Sadly, being born in 1960, I’m unlikely to get a birth year Fender myself...

Matthias and Jakedog like this.
  7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sweet!
    I recently scored this '76 and I am digging it! IMG_20200301_125804.jpg

Blazer, hrstrat57, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had a mid 70s natural Strat many years ago, like you mentioned, great feeling neck, also later had a white 70s Strat ( should have kept that one!)
    The natural one I owned was a great sounding guitar but it was a boat anchor, that's why I sold it , it literally was heavier than most Les Pauls I've played / owned.

Your guitar looks great! Enjoy it!

9. Stax1

Stax1 Tele-Meister

I was also searching for a '79 strat for a while. Couldn't find one that I liked and somehow ended up with a '73 in sunburst/maple with lollar pickups, AND a '76 hardtail in black/maple with all original parts.
    The '73 is one of my fave guitars, mid weight, has been played to hell and back, and I'm about to take it for another lap :)
    The '76 is really nice and amazingly light weight and all original, though it needs a refret.

My favourite features of CBS era strats are the jumbo frets and the vintage radius. I also really like the look of the big headstock. The original grey bottom pups are also quite good!

The 70's strats are the only era that can properly pull off the black pickguard and white pups/knobs as well. Everything since just looks modded or wanna-be...

Matthias likes this.
  10. Matthias

The question that you were all asking (probably)... Does it do Hendrix? Well, it does it better than I do. A rather straightforward version but I don't claim to have Jimi's flair!

The sound isn't as rounded or compressed as my 2010 but it certainly has more of that vintage vibe. Quite similar to the CS '69s.

Recorded straight into Logic's amp sim... Vox clone with some tape delay. Badly lit iPhone video.

11. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I owned a 1973, which was by far the best sounding strat I ever had, if only I could go back in time and stop myself from selling it.

Matthias likes this.
  12. Matthias

After owning a few Fenders with vintage-style (or getting along for vintage) pickups, I've become convinced a lot of people think pickups need changing if a pickup sounds too bright with all the amp knobs at noon. These 70s pickups do have a lot of top end but they respond well to the amp controls and a brighter guitar means a bit more scope in middle and neck. And of course a good trick with bright pickups is not to jack them right up to the strings.

I might record a comparison with my 2010 at some point.

13. Blazer

blond strat 1.JPG
    Not my 1973 but a 2002 MiM reissue that I owned, I simply couldn't bond with it, it was beautiful but it just never sounded right, sometimes it's the fact that the instrument just doesn't have the "Thing" going. I let it go but I still feel bad about that.

14. Matthias

There’s definitely something different in these particular old pickups... Like some extra air. I put new strings on my ‘10 and put the pickups at the same height. The ‘79 pups aren’t microphonic, the magnets have a similar pull, the resistance is within 5%... But they still sound more organic. And the ‘10 is amazing. The ‘79s are bit thinner but again, only like the CS ‘69s I had in my MiM.

15. Blazer

Well, with the chances of me going on vacation slim to none, I decided to spend the money I saved for that on something cool. Perhaps I should start looking for another Big headstock three bolt strat. The genuine ones are a little too expensive. Perhaps I should give the vintera ones a go, I heard a lot of good stuff about those.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.