(Recent) NGD - 79-80 Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Matthias, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I got my birth year Strat.

I played one and loved the narrow/deep neck. However that wasn't all original so I've been seeking one out that is. And particularly one in natural... For me that's the iconic 70s look.

This came with case candy and a slightly later case. The parts date it to about the end of '79 (the pickups are late December grey bobbins). Apart from some pick scratches, a couple of marks and a little yellowing on the headstock nitro, it's super minty fresh. Barely any fret wear. It's the opposite of my slightly trashed '73 Tele Deluxe in that regard!

I set it up and got the action as low as I'd ever want it with just the right relief. The heel does have the breathing space in the pocket that almost all of these have, so I've shimmed the side with some maple (not that there was an obvious issue). There's no lip on the heel, though, which is nice. I did also slightly bend the ashtray so it stayed on better. Plays great, sounds great and feels very lively.

It's not light of course - a bit heavier than my Jag - and as expected, the body is a bit of a slab. But that neck is so comfortable!

FS7C9614.jpg FS7C9615.jpg FS7C9616.jpg

Blazer, Macrogats, jonnyfez and 24 others like this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I have my eye on one of these. It's got the cracking in the clear common to these. It's cheap as a result. But a great playing and sounding guitar.

nick0 and Matthias like this.
  3. Matthias

They have their quirks, for sure, but they do have a real character of their own if you get one that plays well.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats.
    I have a 75 Strat. If anyone bangs on about lack of stability of the 3 screw plate, I say you’ve never owned one. It’s internet BS.

5. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Wow, that neck looks pristine. My 76 neck was filthy. congrats.

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

:cool::cool::cool:

7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on KILLER looking guitar.

Ignore all the negative BS you read about 70's Fender Strats.

Just like most years, some were good and some were bad.

You just gotta find the one that speaks to you.

I've got a '79 Antigua Strat that was my very 1st "Pro" guitar I ever bought, and I still have it.

I picked up an AMAZING '75 Fender Mocha Strat on CL about 4 yrs. ago for $500.

It sounds and plays amazing, and is THE best sounding Strat in my Fender collection.

[​IMG]

Blazer, Macrogats, hrstrat57 and 5 others like this.
  8. Matthias

Compared to my ‘94 MIJ Tele, the neck alignment is much better and the gap not too different. The main thing is to set it up properly and don’t jack up the micro tilt with the screws tight.

884CAEFC-C8D7-41BC-93B6-728E112B44EE.jpeg
    You can see the shim I added

63C2CE47-E80B-45A7-931A-37BA6E3A8720.jpeg
    Look at that low E, especially considering the angle. Still plays well.

The neck is super clean:
    2001B4F9-292F-465A-9CF4-D8921A21A92B.jpeg

...And this is the extent of the fret wear:
    B2B4B1C8-27B1-4248-9DA0-96E0E049BF08.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    nick0 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

10. rze99

Here's my '75 - just cos. I had my main Strat stolen and my mate who had a lot of guitars sold me this for next to nothing as a help out.

Quite a few mods including a late 70s refin in some car finish or other. It was originally black. The finish has sunk into the ash grain which I like. The neck is beautifully worn and smooth as heck. It feels like vintage guitar. Not light about 8.5 pounds but sustains nicely unlike most strats. Currently has Texas Specials in there which I like except for the bridge which is a bit nasal.

IMG_5114.JPG

IMG_5115.JPG

IMG_5116.JPG

IMG_5117.JPG
    IMG_5121.JPG

Blazer, Loco, hrstrat57 and 9 others like this.
  11. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

Nice git! I've always loved natural finish Strats! I have a 2004 MiM one, myself!

IIrc, Leo wanted to do the three screw neck plate approach. CBS simply messed it up with their "loosening" neck pocket/neck tolerances to make assembly quicker. The three screw requires tighter pocket/neck tolerances to work properly.

12. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

Man, That red should've been a stock color in those days, or fiesta red. I currently own a '79 black hardtail all original since 1981, a '75 natural much like the OP's with upgraded Fullerton era tremolo bridge. Awesome guitars. Congrats on the 500 dollar CL find!!;)

Matthias likes this.
  13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Nice; that one's a real time capsule!

Just out of curiosity what case did you get with it? Fender was starting to use the rectangular plastic case around that time frame, but I think the 1970s versions had burgundy or dark rust interiors while the 80s cases had black interiors.

Matthias likes this.
  14. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Your search is over then?

Cool looking Strat! Love the Trem cover.

:cool:

Matthias likes this.
  15. Matthias

Hence the mm or so of koto veneer (I realised it wasn't maple) in there as a shim. Makes up for the overcut pocket and gives it a bit more security, but it seemed pretty secure anyway.

It's a black one, but it was bought a little later. It has a bit of a chunk out of one corner and deciding whether to fix it, but I might just put some duct tape over it
    Yep... Although I like this neck so much I might find one or two non-stock ones as projects.

16. Matthias

8A2C96C0-0BDB-4683-8C4A-502B132C1EB2.jpeg Who doesn’t like candy?

17. rze99

Yeah it's a great red and I've no idea what the colour officially is but it looks the dog's doo dahs to me - may be like a vivid Dakota red?

18. Nogbad

Nogbad Tele-Holic

My Friend Rob bought a Natural black guard in 78. He played it through a Marshall 100 watt club and country combo. The bridge pickup through the Marshall could take plaster off the walls at thirty yards. He Put a Dimarzio Stacked humbucker on it, that took it out to fifty yards! :lol: Still got some tapes we did back then. Great days Great sounds!

Matthias likes this.
  19. Matthias

These old plastic cases aren’t particularly robust. As I said, there was a chunk out of one corner on the underside, so I’m repairing it to make it stable and durable. It’s a slightly later case anyway.

As a model-maker, I’m quite used to working with plastic and filling and blending, so I’ve glued the cracks and now I’m using Milliput 2-part epoxy putty to fill the missing piece. I’ll build up the shape as best as I can, carve some texture then mask and spray the area (or perhaps hand paint it) gloss black. Here’s the first layer of epoxy.

314E39AE-8BBE-486D-8401-7C802D40E330.jpeg

As you can see it’s a decent area missing so there would be a risk of it breaking further. There must be a point past which these cases are only fit for parts.

20. Matthias

Layer 2. It’ll need some shaping but it’s got integrity again and it’s not too far off.

8AA0AFD4-4F80-4BA3-BC54-F99AAD90D19F.jpeg 67695D53-0386-4841-8478-471CE2BEF1B9.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.