Recent Fender/Squier WRHB pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fakeplastic, Nov 18, 2019.

1. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

So I've noticed that there have been a few different versions of the WRHB made by Fender recently. These are the ones that have been on the following guitars:

Squier Vintage Modified / Classic Vibe
    Fender Modern Player (Starcaster)
    Fender Vintera
    Fender Classic MIM
    Fender American Vintage

any others?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried most or all of these, and can describe how they compare tonally?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  2. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The only WRHB I've tried is my Telenator, it is amazing, but unfortunately they went out of business.

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Seems they're just all regular HB's at this point. Nothing like the originals.

4. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In Tele-Meister

Just got a '17 MIM Classic Thinline with them. For the most part they sounded ok, but to be honest, I bought the guitar with the intention of putting in new electronics anyway. So I didn't spend much time with the factory units. I had Revel do the rebuild. A major improvement soundwise, but I also did new pots (Emersons) new switch (vintage style 3-way), nos '72 cap, and cloth wiring, so those changes may be part of the improved sonics. Here is a pic of the factory wiring and the wiring I just finished a few days ago.

Before:

72ThinlineOrigwiring.jpg

After:

72Thinlinewiring.jpg

5. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

I know that the current Fender offerings are not like the originals, and most likely don't sound as good. The point of my post was to see if anyone has noticed any differences between the current ones... not originals, Telenators, or any other boutique clone.

6. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

I have the newest version of these on the Am Pro Tele Deluxe. They sound very good to me.

Your best bet for comparisons is probably YouTube.

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

So, yes they are not like the originals. Nor are they like the many expensive aftermarket ones. I'll go ahead and answer the OP with what he asked, to the best of my knowledge.

Hopefully someone will talk about the very newest versions. From 2014-ish until last year, the same exact pickups were installed in all the MIM and Squier models. Seemed of Korean manufacture.

Each new version of 'reissues' have gotten progressively better--not at being like the originals, but at better capturing the spirit of a somewhat lighter brighter humbucker than a paf style.

I don't have any experience with the very newest ones, and don't know if the Squier and MIM are still the same pickups.

8. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

The bar magnet WRHBs on the Modern Player Starcasters (and possibly most? other Fender's/Squier's reissue WRHBs) were made by G&B in Korea. eg
    https://reverb.com/item/23437379-2014-fender-wide-range-pickups

The Vinteras supposedly have a new Shaw design WRHB ...
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/vintera-wrhb-is-a-new-design-it-appears-so.969376/
    Fender claims they are closer to the originals (in sound, but not construction ?) ...
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/elect...vintera-70s-telecaster-deluxe/0149812300.html

There have been other minor variations in reissue WRHBs along the way ...
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/list-...e-humbucker-replacements.778839/#post-8349802

There have been some scientific comparisons done by GITEC. Scroll down to 'Investigating the Fender “Wide Range” CuNiFe Humbucking Pickup, and some clones' here ...
    https://www.gitec-forum-eng.de/repository/

emisilly and backporchmusic like this.
  9. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I have a Vintage Modified Squire Thinline that has Fender stamped WRHBs on it. The Classic Vibes I've seen are stamped Squier. So are they the same pickups, or are the VMs the same as those used in the MIM Fenders? Of course everyone is quick to point out that they are nothing like the originals, and dismisses them as just a cosmetic repackaging of a plain old humbucker, but I think they are really great sounding pickups that have their own thing going on.

zippofan, emisilly and fakeplastic like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.