Recent creative slump? Writers block?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telemnemonics, Mar 25, 2020.

1. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

In art school they taught us that if you wait for inspiration, you may never get to work. Struggle and effort is required when inspiration is low. I like the analogy of priming the water pump a few times with effort, eventually producing water. You gotta force the process a bit sometimes. There are other paths into the creative psyche but we're talking about guitar playing.
    Or just relax and come back tomorrow.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Not necessarily! The only time ever in my life have I seen a bird fall out of the sky without being aided by a scattergun, was at a golf course. Some sort of medium sized bird was just sailing along about fifty feet in the air on the fourteenth hole at the course we were playing, and it just dropped out of the sky straight to the earth! It looked exactly like a dove caught by shotgun pellets only there was no sound and nobody around within three hundred yards of the bird.

Stringbanger likes this.
  3. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

every time i have an idea i`m afraid it could be the last one. hasn`t been yet.
    someday they`ll stop. not a damn thing i can do about it. just the way it is.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I actually have a similar response to my wife worrying about running out of money, us getting sick etc.
    I feel like hot & cold running water, food and shelter, we got it so much better than a lotta the world pop.

I'm not worrying, stressing out, changing my routine, just noticed a downturn in my music motivation then heard that others are reporting a similar thing.

Steerforth and nojazzhere like this.
  5. telemnemonics

Well that was a pretty brutal loss and it's understandable you'd be forever changed by it.

I have a friend I actually spent 1 1/2 hours with tonight going over changing our 12 step meeting to zoom; this gentleman is 30 something and had a son who drowned while he was at work and his GF/ baby mama was taking care of the child.
    My friend seems to have a very hard time deciding what to do, and gets overly stressed about making bigger decisions.
    This past couple of weeks I can see his burden of responsibility as we shut down our usual meeting, though at the last meeting we had an old feller with COPD taking with a young woman who then got a call saying one of her clients had gotten sick and was being tested.
    This stressed me out too and I could see how close one life of a friend was to ending, just from a conversation.
    I hope it will pass (the decision making stress the younger man has) and I've talked with him a lot about this sort of process stuff as we do in 12 step work.

Anyhow, who knows TD, maybe one day you'll pick up the old Martin and suddenly hear music, not knowing where it came from, only to discover it's you!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Thank you Telemnemonics. I'm sorry for your friend, I hope that he can find his way again. There are some shocks to the system, I just don't know if they can ever be gotten over. From time to time I pick up the Martin, even a time or two this year fired up the Tele. Maybe sometime. It seems there is always a crisis going on. We have one to face now, we must all be strong.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

Good suggestions, uh, yeah!

I'm not talking about quite that though, this is not a creative block as much as a soul block.

I was thinking more about this and my reference to creativity because I heard that writers/ poets in my outer circle are experiencing this. But creativity is not the same as some of the other things that go into making art.

I think for example some of the revered old Blues musicians teach us not so much how to invent new stuff as how to put heart and soul into old stuff.

I never try to "be creative" and kind of abhor that idea.
    Sounds like a second grade teacher or a line of toys.
    For me I've always approached music as something I just do, but I love a role as sideman and can add icing and spice if a songwriter fleshes out a canvas.
    When I do write songs it an accident and it's never a goal.
    Playing music and creativity are whatever they are when whichever happens.
    So I play and I stay ready for it to happen.
    Worst case if alone, it takes a few minutes to get flowing and may not be of much value, best case and it might at times be magical.

What is happening is the core this mystery comes from is for the moment empty.
    I have no sense that it won't go back to normal, but I thought it was an interesting observation and others might have similar stuff to share.

Sadly my wife has struggled for a while trying to get and keep a steady painting roll.
    I actually play whether I "feel like it" or not just to keep the house energized.
    She appreciates this and often really likes it, which is cool.
    As others have said, even if I'm not feeling like playing music I can recall that it usually works regardless.
    So I just do it.
    Every day no matter what.
    The source remains a mystery!
    I don't need to know the source!

But hey!
    Where the hell did you go oh mystery source?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

Well another thing is that we all, and you for certain, have eras of life and paths that suit those eras.
    Maybe now you moved onto a path you can better share with your wife, like I guess golfing?
    Not joking, stuff you can enjoy together is good stuff.
    Maybe if she played guitar that would be the right path now but instead you joined together on a path you both can share.

Interestingly my wife and I are stuck together all the durn time and we keep enjoying each other!
    If we were on different paths it might not be so comfortable.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

I talk to my wife about this often, mostly when she's not painted for a while and trying to get back into it.
    There have been times when my guitar playing was just dues or bank deposits so I'd have the flow when inspiration arrived.
    She actually wen to art school where I didn't even finish 11th grade, but I grew up with artists musicians and writers, so i got many many lessons in the drive it takes.

My understanding is that the artist has to work two full time jobs just to make zero, than above that they/we have a chance to net (gain) a little masterpiece that might flutter past the window (of the soul).

noname_dragon likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

I would say no, day to day habits are unchanged.

But in reality due to ADHD I'm very structure dependent and have strict even crazy habit that are kinda blown to bits by a changing food supply. Funny but cooking is actually a big creative outlet, or maybe everything I do is a creative outlet and also how I make sense of a pretty much senseless world.

My core tells me that we must keep adding something positive to the general existence pool in order to balance (or shovel sand against the tide of) the steady supply of negatives in the world.

Interesting little bit of nothing, the last couple of weeks we have been adopted by a beautiful orange cat, young and growing, who has been making our home his own. Sort of like winning a scratch ticket when money is short, nice little windfall for the soul...

nojazzhere and noname_dragon like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

You kind of hit the nail on the head there. The reason, at least before the present crisis, that I try and play golf at least once a week with my wife is because we once played a lot together, then I got really serious about it, and started playing more and more with the guys until the two of us almost entirely quit playing. Then all of our other problems came along, and neither of us played. One day I found a hundred dollar gift certificate my wife had given me years ago to a nice golf course for my birthday. I drove over there, explained the situation, and asked if it was still good, they said it was, so I took my wife golfing, and now it's a regular thing with us again.

I first started trying to teach my wife to play the guitar more than fifty years ago, her and her sister were learning to play at the same time, they were getting a kick out it too. Then momma got pregnant with our daughter and that went by the wayside. Her sister became a good rhythm guitar player, and an excellent bass player. She had kind of run off and left my wife in the playing department. About ten years ago I gave me wife a nice little Taylor 314ce and got her going again. I pushed too hard, and had her making bar chords and she developed trigger finger on her left hand, she had to have her wedding band cut off. Again, I had screwed up something precious. After her hand recovered, she said she was done with the guitar, so once again, I managed to shoot myself in the backside. Coming four years ago now, my wife's sister passed on, and that put the final touches on her guitar playing for good.

MY sis in law and her husband played together for years and years. They played in church, and played for old folks home, and I always enjoyed playing with the pair of them when I had the opportunity. I so wanted for my wife and I to be able to play together, it was just not to be. Back before my son died, we used to have family music gettogethers. My wife's brother even went to the trouble to build a music room inside his shop at his house so we could play as loud as we wanted. There were a lot of us then, but time has proven victorious, and now we don't do that any more. I'm not complaining though, I am thankful for the memories I have.

12. telemnemonics

062DE1AF-E394-4AE3-8E76-D4C9C6B2B171.jpeg Well TD I suppose we takes our gifts what come to us and love them!

Here’s one I been borrowing from a neighbor we have yet to meet.
    As the sun set he was scratching and meowing to come in but we had to say no because he has a home where he would be missed.
    He really loves us though, which is nice, and no vet bills...
    Gotta love them what loves us!

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

All I know is we need someone to write "an anthem for these times" that hits everyone in some way that they remember it... whistle it/sing it/dance to it... whatever..

whatever the "genre".. we need another "woody or bob" to sing about something meaningful...

therin lies the rub...:)

14. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I posted a similar thread about 2 weeks ago. Stuck in the house, loads of time. Not picked up a guitar to play properly in and about a month :/

Lost all motivation. I'm just going with it, with the hope that it'll pass eventually.

15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Routine is important and difference is important. Doing one thing is made more valuable by doing other, different things. The routine of job/chores/errands is the opposite of the thing we describe as "creative."

It's a binary, like happy/sad. One is meaningless without the other.

"creative" time requires "non-creative" time, and that's usually experienced as routine. The two strengthen each other.

Now everybody's routine is messed up, so everybody's "creative time" is messed up.

16. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I because I am retired and being single, I have no honey do, Usually spend a few hours when I first wake up using my DAW and just playing around with ideas that come into my head with no goal in mind, but now I have the plague. My creative juice is nowhere to be found, I'm running on empty.speaking of which listen to David Lindley @3:45 his solo is the cats pajamas.

telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.
  17. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Haha..... more drugs!

Works/ed for almost all the greatest artists/musicians/authors/etc.

18. telemnemonics

Well uh, yeah that is indeed an option!

For me and many in my other circle that's not music related, I can't take that road because I went way way way too far down it and was nearly dead when I finally got off and back in with the rest of humanity.
    But those of us who quit the drugs & booze in 12 step recovery now can't go to our meetings, and while we do have a smaller number of meetings on zoom, there are many trying to get clean & sober that get less help from a smartphone screen than they used to get in a room where help was more tangible and less dependent on clearly stating the need for help as if a business deal.

As we know, such stuff historically "Works/ed for almost all the greatest artists/ musicians/ authors/ etc" until it doesn't/ didn't.

AFAIK substances are generally useful in providing relief to the creative mind, but less useful in actually improving a creative mind!
    No opinion on that though!
    Only looking at the historic record...

Ess Eff likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

Oh yeah love love love Lindley!
    And Browne, funny how he kinda disappeared from radio, though I can't listen to classic rock radio for long any more.
    My car radio presets are alt Rock, Rock, classic Rock and one oldies station that mixes in a good portion of R&B/ Soul etc.
    I can't stand the commercials and leave the alt rock station when the chatting starts.
    Not a peep from Jackson Browne in years.

Wondering why Dumble gets so much internet hate?
    Nobody knows what those things do!
    Not that Lindley is just a Dumble with a guy operating it, but those toanz are truly awesome...

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  20. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Well, I played for about an hour today - got back into it a little. Until I had the following 2 events;

1. My neighbors complained (despite me playing *very* quietly, I could hear my strings more than the amp!)
    2. I ripped/split my index finger nail down past the quick!

Ah well, it's a path back! Good luck to the OP to refind their mojo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.