Recent creative slump? Writers block?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telemnemonics, Mar 25, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Up until a week or two ago I was enjoying playing guitar every day and liking some of what I recorded, feeling creative and growth oriented, pushing at some limits and learning or forwarding.
    I've been playing for 40 years so it's not new, not about nailing that pesky F chord or learning a new scale.
    Generally I can enjoy a flow, surf the wave, just smash out musical sounds however they come to me.

But then my creative energies started lagging and there have been times I plug in and don't make a sound, or only play some feeble attempt at music with no inspiration or spirit behind it.

My wife is having similar problems painting, just can't get into a creative productive groove.
    Her parents are poets who live and work much of the time in Ireland where poetry and storytelling is valued by the regular culture, also teaching out of a Maine college and sometimes taking a year or two as artist in residence in the US or abroad.
    Her Father said yesterday that all his writer friends are in a slump where they cannot get themselves to write.

I can't really recall before last week ever plugging in but not playing.
    While my wife and her family are like many, experiencing a good measure of anxiety, I'm actually not really getting that issue, some nerves but it's not dogging me.
    Just a sort of missing drive that's generally always there but I can't seem to find now.

Anybody else feeling stuck?

ping-ping-clicka and nojazzhere like this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been playing more lately, but due to my job I'm not only not staying home 24/7, but I'm also running my butt off trying to keep up with the insanity. I think for me it's not really a huge adjustment, as basically most of the time I'm either working or at home anyway, so there has been no significant lifestyle change for me. For many people, though, even the most minor change in established routine can throw everything off.

Milspec, Toto'sDad and telemnemonics like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Let me tell you, I HAD TO CHANGE THE DAY I MOWED MY LAWN THIS WEEK! Sheesh, will this never end!

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

People have the idea that seasonal affective disorder is at its worst in the winter. That's not necessarily true. The effects of not getting outside, shorter days, winter gray skies, being indoors too much and not interacting with as many people are cumulative. I find March to be my worst month. My employer's fiscal year ending on March 31 doesn't help either. I don't need added stress. THis year the pandemic has raised everyone's stress level. I try to head for Hawaii in April but that's out of the question this year. I suffer from permanent writers' block because I can't write verse to save my life, but my guitar playing isn't what it could be under better conditions either. The good news is that this will pass. It may pass in May or June this year, but it will pass. Sometimes doing something else helps. Pick up an acoustic if you play an electric most of the time. Tickle the keys. Pick up a paint brush. Pick up sticks and bang on pots. That'll at least drive the evil spirits away, But most of all remember that this will pass. It passed last year and the year before that and it will pass next year and the next one too.

telemnemonics and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The continual drumbeat and repeat of what is going on in the world is very telling right now and wears you down.

6. Toto'sDad

That's easy enough for you to say, but I HAD TO MOW A DAY EARLY! Now everything is out of whack, cars are going backwards on the highway, do you dare touch or use a toilet? What if it goes the wrong way? I stepped on a spider, will it eat its way up through my shoe, my leg, and bite my... Well I certainly hope not.

televillian, nojazzhere and JL_LI like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

The odd thing is, since this all got underway, I haven't slept this well in years. Escapism as its finest!

Frodebro likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

Yeah I'm sure it will pass, just wondering what others are experiencing.

I'm pretty certain this is not seasonal affective disorder though, I have the sun lamp in my face now (same for 15 years) and have been getting outside plenty these recent days as well as two six by six foot South facing windows in front of me.
    This is an oddity I'm not used to; and then I got news that other creative types are having the same issues.

I'm actually finding lots of work to do for normal life plus for new issues life.

Creativity (or creative mojo) is the part that's oddly missing.

9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i write & record a lot..

when it bogs...clogs up

get all the guitars and amps out & just play...no idea that it has to be a song..or that its "official" for who knows what...but i rediscover the gear...dime a plexi...TS a Super Reverb....wind a Vox up to a near explosion & when really need to get somewhere..i drum..almost always a drum beat leads to the P bass into the ampeg which leads to a mini song idea.

Then life provides the words to fit the emotion of what was working on. Have yet to ever get bored .. I do go back n frth between bass, guitar & drums tho...that breaks a rut

noname_dragon and telemnemonics like this.
  10. telemnemonics

I love this time of year and get pretty fired up to be outdoors more, looking forward to those first days feeling the sun warm me, checking for what might be sprouting back up in the gardens, even planted some seeds earlier in March, maybe a little too early but I set up a fan to keep them from getting spindly.

Today @bftfender I did just crank it up and blast some loud distorted guitar riffing.
    I guess I could hit the drum kit but it's in the garage close to the neighbors house and they seem to have come backs from Fla or wherever they go in winter...

bftfender likes this.
  11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m kind of in the same boat. I got out one of the acoustics on Saturday, and I took it down to the kitchen. I grabbed a notebook of songs that I haven’t played for a while. I was looking forward to playing, because I had been on vacation for over two weeks without a guitar.

I got it out of the case and tuned it. I paged through the notebook looking for a song to play, but nothing appealed to me.
    I put the guitar back in its case, and thought, “Oh well”.

That might have been a first for me too. I can’t remember when I ever got out a guitar, tuned it, but didn’t play a lick.

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

Yeah that’s what I’m talking about, a different unexpected empty corner of the soul?
    I generally feel connected to humanity so by that view it makes sense to feel a bit of emptiness.

Toto'sDad and Stringbanger like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

I know a lot of you live in areas that prohibit it, but if your weather permits walking, I strongly recommend doing so. Through this whole ordeal we have adhered to our walking schedule with Alex, which is one point two miles a day. I know if I don't get in at least a mile walk everyday, I have difficulty sleeping. I have managed to swing a golf club most everyday, I can chip in the backyard with real golf balls, and I hit whiffle balls, kind of like mothballs with holes in them that won't go very far in the front yard with my driver and longer clubs. I exercise with light weights a little each day, and am trying to stay healthy enough to resume my regular activities when they are permitted. At my age, if I let myself slip out of shape, I'll never get going again.

P Thought and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

I've alluded to this before, but most of you are experiencing what I have been for over six years. When my son died, music just left me. I thought for a while it would return, but I simply go through the motions when I play, nothing happens, and I soon tire of it. There's something about the world being out of whack that does that to you. I absolutely loved to play for almost a half a century. I have accepted it's never coming back, my skills disapated. I keep my guitars around because I don't need the money, and I find some small comfort in them just sitting here in my little music room. They remind me of halcyon days of yore, gone forever, never to return.

15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Stop being an adult trying to be creative....think like a child and it will come naturally.

Back when I was an aspiring short story author, when I got caught in a case of writer's block I would just make sure I put something on paper (yes I worked on a typewriter back then). That blank page kept me from being creative, so I found that once I put some words on the page I was able to transition into gear again. Before I started on my only published story, that page was covered with just "penis" about 30 times until I laughed thinking about how we used to do that in school typing class. Old Gladys, my teacher, would have been furious.

Let the kid come out...it is not only a source of creativity, but of sanity.

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I can't say I've experienced anything like that. Has anything changed in your day to day habits? Sometimes, if something upsets your regular routine, like, for example, your grass mowing schedule, you can feel a little discombobulated. Incidentally, has anyone ever used "discombobulated" in a post before?

I hate like Hell what's happened to you and your family, TD.....but if it's any consolation I think you're putting things into perspective for a lot of folks here.....and helping us understand what our priorities SHOULD be. :(

17. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

There’s no one shooting at me. I’m happy. :D

telemnemonics and Bill Sheehan like this.
  18. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've noticed a real lack of creative energy as well. I write fiction in addition to playing music. Both have really been a struggle lately. I just don't care enough to make the effort. With fiction I'm pretty easy going about it - I let it flow when it wants to. With music, I feel guilty for having invested so much in guitars and yet I am not very good. I feel like I should be playing and it should be fun. I think it's seasonal, plus the stress of the world right now, plus a LOT of work on my plate (which is good, considering the situation). Trying not to get discouraged. And trying not to sell off any more guitars...

Milspec and Bill Sheehan like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Thank you sir! I think this place has kept ME sane, I don't know why I've kept writing here, but it seems to help me in some way. I'm glad to be of help to some others along the way in the process. My wife seems to have no fear of the situation that's going on. I don't seem to either. I suppose when you've gone as far down the road as we have, you just keep going until you can't. There is absolutely nothing we can do about what's coming, the whole world is being dealt the same hand, I guess it's how you try to play it out that counts. I hope your music comes back to you, and it probably will. It's funny that I still have an interest in golf, but I don't think you have to be too smart to play golf! :lol:

nojazzhere and Bill Sheehan like this.
  20. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Golfing is for the birds!:D:eek:

8AB54D45-E141-4E11-9C29-2E86B2513AA2.jpeg

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.