Recapping Vintage Tweed Amps "Stuffing"

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by janalex, Sep 19, 2019.

1. janalex

janalex TDPRI Member

Can someone post a link or advise on the method for replacing electrolytics while preserving the original orange surrounds? Which brand caps to buy and how to best remove the jackets. Will be doing a 5e3 and 5f1.

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I've done it but have no link for you. In a perfect world I would choose replacement caps for their physical size, it's nice to not have to try to make a tiny cap work in a big housing.
    The paper covered ones I've done, I simply rolled the paper back on the end carefully. I preserved the end caps for reuse also. You may have to drill a hole in the center of the end cap IIRC.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I like to see the ends of electrolytics...even newer ones. I also want to know what kind of caps were used in the recap. Hiding them in an old wrap is not something I do nor do I like to see it. Since I would consider the value of an old amp to be less if it had certain caps in it. If I cannot discern what cap is there, I take it that it is likely to be a cap that I might want to replace. There is a reason that manufacturers provided relief holes on these e-caps. It is a tell....as is a bulging. I see a lot of modern caps of a certain brand failing in factory-original circuits....amps less than 10 years old. Whereas, I have a 55 year old amp that has no problems....it is the only vintage amp I have owned which has not been recapped. It is too precious...and it shows no Sonic tells of e-cap weakness. Rare amp...second one Ime.
    I want to see the actual cap. Ommv....

Doctorx33 and Telekarster like this.
  4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Pretending. Potentially deceptive. Hidden from view unless you open up the chassis.

Why bother?

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

^^^^^^ This.

There's really no reason to do it. If it's known that the caps were properly replaced (assuming the amp is to be used) it's a waste of time - there's no effect on the value of the amp unless it's a dead mint example that *should* be an unused museum piece.

If the idea is to have a potential buyer think the caps are original in hopes of getting a higher selling price it's deceptive.

rolandson and Telekarster like this.
  6. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I put the new caps into the old ones. It's just to retain the original look. I always report the new in old caps to anyone that sees the amps. It's a matter of personal taste and not made to deceive. If you don't want to do it, don't but someone else might like the idea.

FenderLover and schmee like this.
  7. Wally

Zook, I respect that as far as the cosmetics go. My perspective is that if I can’t see what brand of capacitor has been used in an amp, I find that amp to be of less worth to me than one that has a visible cap. That is, if someone stuffs old cap covers full of IC caps, I am looking at an amp that I would recap...and I would buy it only with that added expense figured into my end of the deal. If the IC’s are visible, the deal is up front. If the caps are covered, I cannot know what caps are there....so I assume the worst. And...no matter the brand of cap, there is a reason why the positive end of a cap needs to be visible. Obscuring the new caps affects the value, imho. Ommv.

Telekarster likes this.
  8. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

I suppose on this same vein, are there MFG's out there that actually make replacement wax caps that have the vintage printing etc on the paper, to replicate what was in an original Fender 5e3 say? Just curious to know. I've seen Fender's wax caps, and a couple others out there that are new made, but I've not seen anyone actually making exact printed paper, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Not that I would know cause I'm not an amp builder ;) Just wondering...

9. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Wally,

We each have our own likes and dislikes on this subject. Personally I don't dislike any caps in particular. My thoughts are if the amp sounds good to great that's good enough for me. They are a conglomeration of many parts.

That being said, buy what you want, no one can fault you for that.

Winnie

10. Wally

Zook, I have had to pull too many bad IC caps out of amps that were less than 10 years old not to have a considered thought on the subject...and whether or not I would want them in a vintage amp. It is not about the sound but rather is about the quality and durability of the component. So, for my purposes, I would ant to see what caps were used IF I were looking at a vintage amp with purchasing it in mind.
    Ommv.

zook, Bill Moore and Telekarster like this.
  11. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

Why on earth would is this be a thing anyone would consider doing?

A good cap job, using quality components is normal maintenance and shouldn't have a negative effect upon the amp's ethos...or worth. At least to my thinking.

Just don't use junk.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Telekarster likes this.
  12. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

OCD

Wally likes this.
  13. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Yep. I agree. However, I am a purist myself and so I can understand why someone would want to do this e.g. keeping the vintage as much vintage as possible. I'm sure that's the original OP's intent IMO. That's why I was wondering if anyone is actually MFG wax caps with the actual vintage wrap printing on them vs. what one usually sees. My guess is "no" because if so, people wouldn't need to go through the attempts of re-stuffing old paper... just my thought on it. I'm not a builder so I wouldn't know...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.