rebuilt tele -- bridge installed off-center?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jc77, Jun 28, 2020.

1. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Is it possible that the body originally had a 22 fret neck installed with the appropriate bridge position and that the Joe Strummer neck has 21 frets? If so, that could be the turd in the punch bowel.

2. jc77

jc77 TDPRI Member

Y'all are sharp -- thank you. I need to read again & process.
    Thanks for the vibes on what tele-normal is.
    Fascinating theory about the 22 frets.
    The fan parallel -- not so much the fundamental of the fan as the Leslie/chopper/Dalek effect, the way the waves are broken up.
    We had our piano tuned in late May, and when my daughter was practicing for the first time after, she ran out to find me -- the tuner made a terrible mistake and broke the piano!! (The ceiling fan was on.)

For the sake of science, I put the same type strings (D'Addario Chromes (=flats) 10's) on my MIJ Squier Strat this afternoon. It had Pyramid (round) 9's this morning. A bunch of the same issues popped up -- tuner going haywire, sharp in cowboy land, extra sounds. (I have Chromes on my Sorrento (90's Korea/Peerless) but obviously there's no common reference there -- on the short scale neck they play like Slinky 9's.) I gave the truss rod maybe a 1/3 turn to mitigate the bowing (in four mini-installments, reassembling & tuning after each) -- flatter would be nice, but it was getting hard to turn and I didn't want to push my luck.

So yes -- the tele may be wonky and grave-robbed and reanimated, but maybe the strings are more of a factor than I had figured. This experiment makes me feel so much more at home with the shortcomings. That said, I'm not done -- but I won't be redrilling for the bridge anytime soon. I need to research other brands of flats & prepare to shell out... or maybe I'll try rounds on the Tele -- I would love for open chords to feel joyous -- but I really like the dark and thumpy sound.

3. jc77

jc77 TDPRI Member

OK -- in the spirit of science, I threw on a set of DR pure nickel Pure Blues (10-46). Much better intonation across the neck.

Not sure what the deal was with the Chromes, besides being toast at this point -- I had the restrung & set up by two different guys.

That said, these are not the strings for me. The game is afoot. Subject for a new thread!!

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I didn’t read every single post but am curious

After it’s original “resurrection” did it play okay?
    I noticed in the Facebook pictures it had steel saddles and now has brass, so was it okay when you originally got it back?

Was it something in those subsequent setups that threw something off?

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

The D & G saddle is incorrect for a plain G string; the intonation is reversed.

If you're running a wound G, then all is good.

Has anyone mentioned this yet? If so, I apologize for missing it.

boris bubbanov and gsh1968 like this.
  6. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

^ I agree - looks like the same offset on all 3 saddles. The centre saddles should be reversed. If they are genuine Gotohs the underside has the opposite compensation so just flip it over.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Oh, hey listen:

Don't rely entirely on those E-tuners. They can take you in the wrong direction. Use tones found on websites, a piano, or tuning forks.

I use my ears. I think those electronic tuning machines are meant for the bandstand, where a guy can't hear anything.

AndrewG likes this.
  8. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Yes, similarly necks slightly off-centre can be realigned by loosening the screws, re-positioning the neck and re-tightening the screws.

9. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Yes, attempting to get a three barrel Tele bridge to intonate reasonably accurately using an electronic tuner is an exercise in futility. I generally prefer a tuning fork and my ears, although I do use a tuner when setting up guitars with six saddles to work with.

10. jc77

jc77 TDPRI Member

I was two private sales removed from the resurrection. Intonation was all over the place when I got it. Fret-leveling helped, but didn't fix everything.

Haha good thing I kept steel saddles kicking around. You're looking at wound G in the picture -- hence the orientation of the saddle -- but switching it back for unwound the other day, I dropped the little saddle screw in the ashtray, and the pickup magnetically sucked it up, and it fell inside the guitar... rather than take off the bridge, I borrowed a screw from the old barrel.

Fretting out likes this.
  11. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

plug the screws and move it back slightly. this tele had a modern bridge at one point and the ferrule holes didn't line up underneath the new bridge, i only had crescent moons showing so i just drilled through the bridge enlarging the holes so now the strings can go through on a slight angle, but it works! don't drill through the bridge on that though it will scuff it up i just used the bridge as a guide maybe you can use some old crappy cheap bridge as a guide? hope that made sense? thumbnail_IMG_2793.jpg

tubegeek likes this.
  12. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

before and after pics - SAM_0672.JPG thumbnail_IMG_2793.jpg it seems i had full moons!

tubegeek likes this.
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

For those unfamiliar with the difference in bridges...

[​IMG]

Fretting out and tubegeek like this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Interesting!

I saw someone mention this but an image really helps, that makes the difference look pretty significant

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Cheers.

Yes, you can see how far out the intonation would be with the srong bridge. And with certain bridges and certain bodies, the rout for the bridge pickup won't allow the bridge to go on even if you try really hard with a big hammer ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.