Rebuilding Stamina

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
This is a "learning about aging" post.
I have been suffering a variety of health issues since December of last year.
It started on Boxing Day with a train trip up to Seattle in a blizzard to see my beloved Chicago Bears face off against the Sea-pidgeons, and ended with a blood sugar crash and being colder than I have ever been since we put Iowa in our rear view mirror.
Then, it was 4 months of debilitating migraines, abruptly ending in April.
After that, I had contracted the unmentionable with the only symptoms being loss of taste & smell for a week. That was...weird.
In June, I passed 2 kidney stones in 13 days, the 1st being the day after I returned from InfoComm in Vegas. So glad it didn't pass in Vegas...
Come to find out during the ER visits for the stones that I have high blood pressure, like 245/120, putting me at very high risk for heart attack or (another) stroke. Now I take pills and own a blood pressure cuff.

But, the biggest thing has been the extent that it has sapped so much of my stamina, and how difficult it has been to build it back. It hit me hard enough that I have only played my guitars a couple times in 2022, a cumulative total of a couple hours, the inability to work an entire shift, and parked my bicycle in favor of a more leisurely stroll for my work commute.
But now things are getting under control, am able to work the entirety of my shifts, riding my bike again, and getting the urge to continue with my guitar tinkering as the window of opportunity to spray finish will be soon closing here on Oregon's north coast due to our climate.

What I learned is to not take your health for granted, and to talk to people your own age about your health. It can be an eye opener & give insight of things to pay attention to in/on your body. Yeah, this aging thing can be a real challenge...

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
Hey ODR,

Great job of getting back into it.

I retired 3 years ago. Since then I've lost 50lbs, work out 3-4 times a week with weights and cardio, and started going for walks. I had major back surgery a year ago and before then, couldn't even walk 2 blocks before my leg started going numb. I am up to about a mile 3-4 times a week and will work on extending my distance every week.

I too have HBP and sometimes get gout "attacks". Both are mostly under control using meds.

The only suggestion I would have for you is to start some weight work. I use dumbbells, weight bench, and bodyweight exercises using a TRX (check it out online). I also have a stationary bike and treadmill.

If you do start "working out", take it slow, but still try to push yourself gradually.

BTW you don't say your age but I'm 69 1/2. Spring chicken! ;)

Stay cool in this heat wave we're having.

Good luck and take care.

mk_716

TDPRI Member
Platinum Supporter
Hey ODR,
Stay on it man, it's work that builds on itself. I'm in my 60's and am probably in the best shape I've been in for decades.
It takes a lot longer to see results when you're 'finely aged'.

I don't want to invite troubles just because I won't take care of myself and aging brings its own problems even if you are in good shape.

Something's coming for all of us, lol, I'm just trying to make it hard on it when it gets here!

m.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Hey ODR,

Great job of getting back into it.

I retired 3 years ago. Since then I've lost 50lbs, work out 3-4 times a week with weights and cardio, and started going for walks. I had major back surgery a year ago and before then, couldn't even walk 2 blocks before my leg started going numb. I am up to about a mile 3-4 times a week and will work on extending my distance every week.

I too have HBP and sometimes get gout "attacks". Both are mostly under control using meds.

The only suggestion I would have for you is to start some weight work. I use dumbbells, weight bench, and bodyweight exercises using a TRX (check it out online). I also have a stationary bike and treadmill.

If you do start "working out", take it slow, but still try to push yourself gradually.

BTW you don't say your age but I'm 69 1/2. Spring chicken! ;)

Stay cool in this heat wave we're having.

Good luck and take care.
Thank you for your kind words & encouragement. It is a slow process, but improving. I am also back to using the stairs at work instead of the elevator. That is a good sign.
For the record, I am 58, and our summer high temps are lower than the summer overnight lows in most of the continental U.S.! But Mrs. Roadie, she starts trying to seal in all the cool overnight air because the forecast is for partly sunny & 70F! She has never lived where summer actually includes summer heat, aside from 2-3 years in Iowa where we met.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Good to hear you're on the mend, I'd chose health over wealth every time.

Just my experience of a similar situation.
I'm only a couple of years younger than you.

I've got chronic fatigue (among other things brain injury related) and spent between 75-90% of 2018 till early 2022 in bed.
I've been getting more mobile and stamina since the spring but I've discovered the body tires way before the will does, this usually results in me going boom and bust. A case of trying too hard to catch up for the lost years.

These last few months I'm limiting myself to just a few active hours, then sitting playing my guitar for an hour and I've not been floored/bedded yet. I'm adding half an hour to my active time every 2 or 3 weeks.
These past 10 days I've managed 3-4 hours each day doing heavy stuff in the garden: moving stones and slabs, and lopping tree branches.
However, today the more sensible part of my brain told me that sweeping up pine needles from the driveway with some Django on the speaker was a more sensible option.

My brain is telling me I could do more, I like physical work but experience tells me an 8 hour shift will have me back to square one.

I also swear by an hours nap in a chair just after lunch, plus stopping every few hours for a few minutes deep breathing: about the length of a good song.