1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rebuilding a '65 SG

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tigger, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Well Tigger, you are inspiring me to attempt the neck reset needed on my P13 equipped Harmony archtop... almost.

2. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Will you have it chewed on by an alligator in one piece or will you first remove the neck from the body and then have it nibble on them independently?

Barncaster, TeleTex82 and LeftFinger like this.
  3. Barncaster

Oh it's had its share of abuse with one well fixed headstock break and a significant amount of rhinestone flowers glued to the top by some flower girl in the 60s. Removal or retention is still under discussion.

4. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Very exciting thread.

At this stage, considering all thats wrong with the current neck.... 2 headstock breaks, one of them leaving the a slight angle and the possibly already sanded fret board, tenon destroyed and needing rebuilding, inlays gone and to be replaced.......

I'd consider building a new neck.
    I know you where keen to keep the 65 mojo going, but at this stage..... whilst fixing the existing neck can be achieved and is a grand project, it certainly isn't the most sensible option anymore.

In any case, I'll keep an eye on your project. Captivating read, Thank you.

5. Barncaster

LOL Sensible? Who said anything about sensible? There is great satisfaction derived from resurrecting something others have given up on. Go Tigger!

6. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

The sensible thing to do would have been to buy a new SG!

7. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Great thread, tigger. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I’m very curious to see how this turns out.
    So far your work and approach have been quite impressive.
    If you can restore this guitar, then you will have achieved something that was very challenging indeed.
    I’m watching like a hawk, and cheering your progress.
    Good Luck,

dr_tom and tigger like this.
  9. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Wait, wait. So far I didn't do anything difficult! I'm trying to source the wood, I talked to espen.de and initially they seemed happy sending me rather-old mahogany, but now they backed out when I sent a list of pieces I need. Perhaps I can get one big one from them, I was assuming it's easier to pick up some off-cuts.

10. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I've reached out to a few wood suppliers, let's see if anyone is willing to sell me small enough quantity.

Meanwhile I've scuffed the new tuners up a bit so they don't look out of place. The tuner buttons are, I think, still a little too far out, and I'll throw them under UV to hopefully make them somewhat darker.

[​IMG]

I'm quite happy with this, it was super simple: scuff the surface a bit with steel wool or one of the 3m sanding pads, then I put everything into a plastic container, put a bit of vinegar into a very tiny container, heated this up in a microwave for 20 seconds and put it into the other one (not poured, still in the container). Took out after half an hour or so and washed. In the end I smeared a bit of coffee over it and washed it again away :)

11. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

What about the gear lubricant? I have properly understood that you put the whole tuner in the vinegar?

12. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

That's a good question (I didn't take it apart to check afterwards), but:

I did not actually put the tuner in vinegar, rather acidic vapor condensed tiny droplets on it. The hole that exposes the gears is plugged with I think wax (they came like that), and the holes around the shaft are pretty tiny. I did wash it throughout in water to stop any follow-up oxidation. As the tuners are new, they are lubricated and the lubrication would protect them from corrosion, in fact, had I not dulled down the metal, it wouldn't have oxidized in such a short time at all because the vapor doesn't condense.

13. Barncaster

Helmut,
    Don't read this...

John Nicholas likes this.
  14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

'Reason not the need'

'Sensible' holds me back quite a lot from doing what I want, and I have to think hard to stop myself being efficient and walking the short path past fun diversion

Truth is, the time and skill applied here, if sold and charged at market rate, would buy some great quality Gibson... and the journey would never have been enjoyed

Let us agree to never speak of sensible again?

15. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Can't please everybody all the time :)
    For some reason I like relatively shiny lacquer, but I really dislike shiny metal.

fenderchamp and Torren61 like this.
  16. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

That sounds like the safest approach on this forum!

Torren61 and Barncaster like this.
  17. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I think the only way I can reply to confirm agreement to this proposal is to say 'a-wap-wap-a-wappa-woo'

tigger likes this.
  18. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I started routing the inlays deeper. I got this dremel base. It's in fact rather flimsy and the height setting is on one side only, making the other side flex a little so you have to tie it down with something and then use a stop screw to set the height. Annoying to get the right height, but once you got it it works.
    [​IMG]

Routed and edges chiseled out (I routed it free-hand and didn't go all the way to the edge.)

[​IMG]

Inlay test. In the middle it's obviously much deeper, but on the sides this is really only a fraction of a millimeter deeper than the original routes so I'm slightly worried the inlay will again be too thin. I'm not really sure whether I want to keep it like that or make it even deeper.

[​IMG]

19. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

I love how this going, just awesome how your dealing with the endless challenges.
    Spreading the SG love.
    Carry On!

Barncaster and tigger like this.
  20. kellybluz

kellybluz Tele-Meister

Very interesting thread. You have some patients tigger , i like a good challenge! Hope you got a good deal on that SG Lol

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.