1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rebuilding a '65 SG

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tigger, Oct 21, 2017.

1. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Can't see your last pics either.

Interesting project.

I don't understand why that piece of white wood has its grain perpendicular to the neck.

2. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Coming back to this: I read elsewhere since that Gibson started caring about pickup placement in the early 70's and until then they put them in without measuring.

Barncaster likes this.
  3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great project.
    I have to wonder about Gibson "not caring" about pickup placement, though. Surely they didn't have some guy with a router just attack where ever he felt like, my guess would be that like everything else in the factory, there would be routing jigs and fixtures (if not automated) for max production speed and consistency.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I think he is talking about placing the hotter pickup in the bridge position.

Torren61, Barncaster and tigger like this.
  5. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Yes, sorry. Measuring which pickup is hotter and putting it in the bridge!

6. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

My first good guitar was a '65 SG Standard, that I purchased from a friend on installments. It had a number 2 below the serial number (not a second, I've been told), just a way for Mom & Pops to have a better deal from the salesman. It had the vibrola, and a really thin low action neck. It was stolen from my house without the case in 1969, and never seen by me again. Loved that axe - dream machine.

tigger likes this.
  7. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I'm still trying to disassemble the neck, without steaming. I routed out most of the new wood and cut off about half of the sides. I'm unsure what I'll do with the bottom, in the end I might have to end up steaming it after all, but I don't have the needed needle/hose.

It's not pretty, but no mahogany has been damaged.

[​IMG]

Barncaster likes this.
  8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

That looks painful...

Piggy Stu likes this.
  9. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Yeah. But all of that is the grafted on wood. It doesn't make much sense to me in some places. For instance the "long tenon" part is an extra piece of (different) wood to the main neck extension. I feel like I don't have the right tools for the job, I'd need a tiny and very thin japanese saw or something like that.

Barncaster likes this.
  10. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Take your time Tig and use the right tools! That is a great guitar!

Newbcaster and tigger like this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Patience or I cry. You REALLY wanna make me cry? It'd be so pathetic...

magic smoke and tigger like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I did a very similar project this summer on a used guitar I bought too: "Steamed!"

Don't try to find a needle for steaming, it's a waste of time (I used a sports ball inflation needle and no effect). You just need to dump a lot more steam in the pickup cavity where the heat can get to the sidewalls and the tennon. Use a cloth to insulate and hold the heat where you want it. Clamping system is important; basically need to lift the heel up using a cantilevered set of boards held to the body. Load tension in the neck and apply heat.

These images are linked from my Steamed! thread, there is more detail over there but these are key images that may help you. It's actually easier than the sawing and drilling I see you working on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steam pipe going into pickup cavity, covered with a cloth. Sit nearby and listen for the glue releasing. Have a good sized pot of water boiling on the stove to feed that tube for an hour (you might do less if better insulated than I did). Use cloth under all the boards and create a wrap around the pickup cavity/neck. I taped the end of the fretboard so it didn't loosen.
    [​IMG]

AAT65 and tigger like this.
  13. R. Stratenstein

Oh. . . . That makes more sense

IMG_0475.JPG

14. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Nice, thanks for the link! I am progressing slowly but steadily with the cutting for now, but I think I will be left with about an inch by inch gluing surface I won't be able to get to and I'll need to steam it out. On the plus side- that's much less than you had to take out. On the minus side, no idea what's it been glued with, and I really don't want to hurt the little bit of neck mahogany that survived the first break.

I don't have a pressure cooker, but do have an espresso machine...

15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

The shop I hang around uses an espresso machine with a hose attached to the steamer wand. I've watched him steam plenty & I can't remember if he has sports equipment needle on the end. I'll go by & take a look.

Looking forward to this.

tigger likes this.
  16. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I'm progressing super slow, sorry about that. I have a busy work schedule and can only work on this when a 19 month old enthusiastic wood worker goes to bed and won't interfere. [​IMG]

dr_tom, Tezuka27, robt57 and 3 others like this.
  17. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Talk about child labor.lol He is a doll baby!!

tigger likes this.
  18. R. Stratenstein

Does Fisher-Price make "My First Chisel?" Just thinking how the little guy can help Dad out. . . . :p

19. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

After a lot of careful cutting, the neck is off. There was a pool of glue under it. A thin layer of mahogany stuck to the glue in some places but it's just a few fibers. The whole job was and is a mess of shims, glue (epoxy? It softens with heat but immediately solidifies again.), and dowels of uncertain purpose.

[​IMG]

It will take me some time to chisel and sand out both sides and the white wood shims. Then I'll have to fill in the body on all three sides and extend the neck tenon.

[​IMG]

20. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

That poor guitar.

It'll be so nice when it's done.

tigger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.