Reattach loose Tolex

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bblooz, Sep 12, 2019 at 2:41 PM.

1. bblooz

bblooz TDPRI Member

I have an all-original, 1966 Fender Princeton Amp. The tolex is peeling back on one side, but still intact. I was wondering if anyone has experience regluing the tolex covering without damaging the originality of the amp. (btw - it's not very loud, but sounds great!)

2. rolandson

rolandson TDPRI Member

I would look to Amplified Parts, Antique Electronic Supply, or Mojotone...believing that whatever they offer will be, if not consistent with the original adhesive, quite similar.

Though I have been under the impression that Fender simply used contact cement. An impression that may be totally inaccurate.

3. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

4. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

The Fliegler book recommends super glue for small spots and contact cement for large.

5. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes TDPRI Member

6. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I used Contact Cement to repair a bunch of peeling wall paper in my home about 6 months ago. It went very well. Even rather large areas glued up nicely and have stayed glued ever since.
    Even in the bathroom, where shower steam would loosen certain glues, the Contact Cement is holding.
    I too have a 66 Princeton Reverb, it's my giging amp, and I would definitely use this product on it if it was to start peeling.

Just be sure to follow instructions exactly. You've got to let it set up before you stick it.

[​IMG]

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have used Elmer’s white glue for decades...quick, easy clean up, works. I use masking tape to hold the tolex down for drying, which takes just a short while.

schmee likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I usually use wood glue like Elmers or Titebond. Press the tolex down and wipe the excess glue. Then tape the loose part down for a couple hours or overnight with masking tape. It seems to work better than contact cement on those small repairs for some reason.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.