Reasons why gigging now is better than it was 20 years ago.......

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Mar 3, 2020.

1. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No smoking in bars was another reason to not gig IMO
    It is RnR ya know...I do not go to bars to be healthy my goodness

uriah1 likes this.
  2. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Lighter gear is a big one for me. About 10 years ago I was assisting Mac Cridlin (RIP) load-in his bass rig at a Bill Kirchen show. I reached down for his Genz Benz bass cab and lifted, fully expecting massive weight. I almost threw that cabinet in the air! lol I remarked on how light the cabs (2) were and he said "Yes, I'm glad I lived long enough to see good bass gear get this light." ToneMaster Twin Reverb ... SOON!!!

upload_2020-3-4_17-3-9.png

3. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

One of the main reasons I enjoy playing live more now than I did 30 years is simply because I am older. Back in the day I was very self-concious and would go down the 'safe' route at every solo, turning the guitar down during the rhythm parts etc. Now that I'm nearly 60 I don't give a rats ass any more and just let it rip, actually play a lot better and freer because of the extra freedom that that gives me, tone is better, playing is better, make a mistake? Hands up, get on with it, move on. Will you ever see me solo-ing with one foot on the front monitor? Hell no! Will you see me playing with a smile on my face? Hell yeah!

studio1087, Censport and Flaneur like this.
  4. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

it probably depends on what you're going for - i can't get what i need out of an amp like that.

5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I was on the dinner committee of an organization back in the 90s and they put me in charge of booking the band (The Fools...).

I booked the Tom Principato Band for about $5K and they really rocked the house (the National Building Museum in DC). People danced like they never had before.

Rocked it a bit too much actually as the committee quickly went back to booking their normal "big band" types, but for years afterwards I had members compliment my choice of music and sat they wished I was still booking the music.

uriah1 likes this.
  6. GuitarPlayerFL

GuitarPlayerFL TDPRI Member

No thanks.

In N.E. FL many of the rock gigs are still smoking venues.
    Pay is the same as 40 years ago.
    Everybody is on their phone or watching the 50 TV screens.
    Stages are rare...just a small portion of the floor where a couple of tables have been moved.

It was much better in the 80s. I don't miss playing out.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya, sizes are different.
    I remember a couple years ago we were so
    crammed we put the drummer up on the pool table.
    Oh yea, all 2 prong wire sockets too.

8. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Florida audiences are as ignorant as they come. All they know is Skynyrd,Allmans & Petty. The women can't put the phones down for more than a minute, and just want something they can dance to. The guys are just looking to get laid, & everyone is smoking still in a lot of places, although the Moose clubs stopped as of Jan. 1. No bands around specializing in anything else,like rockabilly or surf, so you are limited as to what you can play. Really thinking of leaving this place, but you can't beat the weather.

9. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Yes I do!

Dan

getbent likes this.
  10. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

DITTO!

Daddydex likes this.
  11. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

All these years ago, 1960-70-80's we did 8.00 pm - 2.00 am typically, with 1-2 hours overtime in the week-ends as semi pro's. FREE DRINKS ALL NIGHT LONG.. ANY TYPE OF DRINKS. We were making good money.. very good money indeed and we drove home after every gig... no touring. We did 2 - 3 gigs per week, every week and on long week-ends, 3-4 gigs. We were booked 1 + years ahead. Playing dance halls, venues, fairs, and events. 5-6 piece dance band. We had a ball. Well more than one in fact!

PS.. Clearly that was NOT in the USA....

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    radiocaster likes this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

The only thing better is the PA systems. The pay was guaranteed by the Musician's Union in the 70s- now you have to draw a drinking crowd to earn a buck. Not better IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.