Reasons for Mesa Fillmore 25 over Fillmore 50?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cysquatch, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I've been extremely interested in the Fillmore series since they've launched, especially as a do-it-all amp to help me minimize my rig. As I've looked and listened to the 25 and 50 watt combos, it seems to me that aside from the smaller size and lower weight, the 25 feels somewhat superfluous. The 50 is switchable down to 25 watts, the cabinet is a bit wider which would seem to help fix the boxy sound the little bitty Mesa combos seem to have, and clearly has more headroom and ability to keep up with a louder band if need be. Obviously, a switchable 25 watt mode is not the same as an amp designed for 25 watts, but does allow one an extra option to tailor the way they want to interact with the poweramp. But, for only $100 more, it seems to me that unless you really need to save space and the extra 10 pounds to carry, the 50 is somewhat of a no-brainer. Or I suppose if you just love 6v6s in the 25 over the 6L6s of the 50?

Jared Purdy likes this.
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

How hard does your drummer hit?

I use a boogie with 15w/70w modes and a Marshall with 20 and 40w but I got to use the full power unless full miced if I want cleans to get through.

3. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

No reason to get either ..... get the fillmore 100, it can do 50w and 25w. :)

4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

It's MAINLY 6L6 vs 6V6

5. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Fellow I've been able to play with recently is actually pretty restrained for the most part. But, he's certainly a rarity in that regard and not going to be the only drummer I ever play with, for better or worse. To my mind, the extra $100 makes sense as a future-proofing cost.

I suppose this does highlight a bit of the silliness in my logic. But there's a difference between having headroom to spare and headroom to peel peoples' faces off from a county away. :D

I figured that may be a real kicker for some people. Too bad the Mesas aren't designed to be able to swap them around as some amps are. I'd have to really sit down and A/B the snot out of the amps to see what I thought on that end.

Pontiaddict and Tim S like this.
  6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I've never played one but on a YT video I watched there was a noticeable difference in sound between the 25 and the 50, I couldn't say one was better than the other but it's likely you might prefer one to the other.

Cysquatch likes this.
  7. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I guarantee you that you could come through loud and clear with my 79 Deluxe Reverb. The key to all that headroom is a super efficient speaker.

Ideally, I’d like to be able to push it a little more than I can. I should probably change to a less efficient speaker.

8. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I wanted to like that Fillmore 25, but it just didn't happen. I too found it boxy, and lacking something. I've had two Lonestar Specials and there is a richness in that amp that seems to defy the Fillmore and the California. The only problem is the weight of it.

Cysquatch likes this.
  9. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Both of you bring up big reasons I'll sit and A/B them before even considering pulling the wallet out. But, I'm rather certain I'll prefer the sound of the 50 over the 25 just due to that boxiness. Those little combos are super good for grab and go portability, but they really lack the fullness that a few extra inches of baffle and enclosure could likely fix.

Curious if the richness and weight of the Lonestar is more attributable to the bigger transformers, more robust cabinet design, or both.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  10. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

I doubt a much tone difference on the 50/25 assuming 2x6L6 = 50w and 1x6L6 is 25w. I,d personally go the 50/25 6L6 for the little price difference especially if the smaller 25 6V6 sounds boxy to you. I know I would allways regret not doing so later.

Cysquatch likes this.
  11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

This was the video I watched .... there's quite a difference to my ears (in my headphones anyway)

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, 6L6 are a lot more clean sounding tubes than 6V6's. What do you play, is 25 watt enough without worrying about it?

13. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I've listened to that video and a couple very similar ones a few times with both headphones and through my desk monitors and I've always come away preferring the 50. But it could also be a matter of the micing, mixing, etc vs the sound in the room. I try not to trust YT demos too much given the number of variables involved.

Unfortunately for gear buying, I play pretty much everything. Might need pure clean for some Don Rich on Monday and grind and fur for sludge and stoner metal on Wednesday. So the headroom being available is definitely going to come into play at some point.

My Recto-verb 25 has been great, but its cleans don't overly excite me and it's surprisingly easy to run out of headroom with it. Which has been more apparent as I play cleaner more often as time goes on.

14. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'd definitely say both. When you have a chance, just turn the amp around and look in the back. There is a lot in there, and the cabinet is definitely heavy. There's a good video on the manufacture of it. You can see it on Youtube. If I could justify it, I'd have one as well as my 64' PR.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.