Reason to Buy More Expensive Fender

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Yes. The most common mistake in the guitar world is believing that a certain make/model has certain qualities (like it is with cars or tv sets).
    Every single guitar can be different from what you expect and should be tested individually, if possible. Wood can be very unpredictable.

2. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

For me the answer is no. I like what my MIM Tele and Strat are, and they suit my desires. I won't say they are better or even equal to USA models, because I don't have a current experience with USA models. I'm happy with what I have.

NewKid likes this.
  3. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

If you pick up a guitar and it really speaks to you and you can afford it and it just happens to be "expensive" you should still buy it. Same goes for a much cheaper guitar. Price does not automatically mean it's going to be the one for you, and you very well may end up spending more in the long run buying and selling guitars at a loss because they aren't really what you're looking for, and you were more concerned about getting a deal or were more focused on the price rather that the instrument, when you should have just sucked it up and bought the guitar that you really wanted (as long as you can afford it and it's within your budget).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Martocaster likes this.
  4. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

To sum it up:

1. Price does not necessarily reflect quality. There are sometimes great guitars for little money or dogs for a high price. But in general price reflects quality levels.
    2. There are different needs for different players and musical styles, even with the Telecaster. Amateurs and pros are not all the same.
    3. There are different levels of knowledge. An experienced player will tend to register more weak or fine details in a guitar, while a hobbyist has a good chance not to encounter some of them at all.
    4. People tend to like and praise what they have, and what they can afford.
    5. Lots of guitarists in their isolated fairly world have no idea about the price levels of instruments in the outside world.
    6. Nowadays there are fine instruments for all needs and incomes.

So, answer to the question in the title: It depends...

7. Back to playin'...

5. Fendarr

Fendarr Tele-Meister

I like cheap and expensive guitars, but there is a certain mojo about high end guitars that inspire me. I own a earlier 60’s Squier CV strat that plays fantastic and sounds great, but when I pick up one of my more expensive guitars, it just makes me more inspired. It all comes down to what moves you as a musician. A Hyundai Sonata will work fine for a Sunday drive, but if I could afford it I’d rather have a 68 Camero.

SpringTank likes this.
  6. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

In practical terms Yes if you're a gigging musician earning a living,no if you're a hobby player,even if you gig a bit as an amateur.... and a pro can usually claim some sales taxes back and depreciate the whole instrument over time..
    a modern USA whether Fender or Gibson should have pickups that will handle high volumes better for longer...frets that won't wear as fast as an import and wood that will allow regular refretting.It won't have screws for fittings coming loose as easily due to brittle kiln-dried timbers....ever take the pickguard off a new import and find the screws have no grip when you put it back even once?
    ....the hardware won't corrode as easily ... it will have intonation and height adjustment screws that dont strip threads or have the heads wear out of shape plus better thread tolerances so they don't rattle and loosen as easily and are more accurate to adjust...
    .....truss rods are less likely to corrode,jam etc and simply work better .....essentially under professional conditions they will be more reliable,longer lasting,better performing and usually cheaper to tech...
    I'll reset a Martin neck happily and affordably but with an import I usually have no idea what glue has been used,if its dovetail or dowels etc...I generally say no to them as they are not worth the cost to the owner or the time to me....
    There are many more
    There is a reason why pros,who often have a lot less to spend and frequently have very few instruments,buy US or quality MIJ....but no denying the much improved quality of affordable instruments from the cheesegrating fingerbreaking plywood horrors of the past....

VWAmTele likes this.
  7. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I have 3 Harley-Benton guitars, all bought 2nd hand - mint - barely used for peanuts (less than 100 Euros each).

That's a fact, they were nearly unplayable as is - which maybe is one of the reasons why the original owner gave up...

[​IMG]

But once setup-ed and modded to play flawlessly, they do play flawlessly and even sound and look great :cool:... (OK, the look may be not your taste ;))

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a Fender US Std Strat 2012 FAT50 brand new and still have a 2005 Squier Std Strat :

[​IMG]

Again, nearly unplayable as is, once modded and setup-ed, the Squier - intended to be the spare of the Fender - proved to sound better than the Fender... At the point that I finally sold the Fender and kept the Squier :

[​IMG]

That said, each of these cheap guitars needed investment in skill, time and money. Without that, they wouldn't decidedly play as expected.

But the investment is finally rewarding, and no matter less costy than a more expensive counterpart, that's a fact too.

And moreover, it's also fun ! ;)

So IMHO, I don't think there is a definitive answer to the question to buy a more expensive one or not... o_O

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

Lefty Addams and Jim603 like this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've driven multiple examples of the same make and model car, in new condition, and I would inspect them and drive them and encounter substantial differences in performance, detail and quality.

Guitars, especially less expensive ones, used to vary wildly in quality. Since I started almost 55 years ago, I am astonished how much overall quality I've seen in the less expensive ones. Going from 100% not playable in any useful sense, to 90% being playable, is a revealing thing, to me. I do try to remind guys that shopping in person and finding the nicest of the nice is still important - just as Practice is important.

TwangerWannabe and Hari Seldon like this.
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

some gear channels seem like they're being run by recording studios, who i think i'd trust a little more to have a pile of amps because they think they sound good and not because they're being promoted. if the people paying to record there don't like the amps you have, why keep them around?

10. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Didn't know...thanks

11. TwangerWannabe

If the more expensive guitar inspires you to practice more and pick up the guitar more often resulting in you becoming a better player, then heck yes, buy the more expensive guitar.

If you think the more expensive guitar will make you a better player over buying a less expensive guitar without putting in the time practicing, then no, it's not worth it.

tele12 and Martocaster like this.
  12. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I have never yet seen a post on a guitar forum from someone saying they were glad they bought a Danelectro in the 50s or 60s instead of a Gibson, Fender or Gretsch.

rob2 likes this.
  13. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Rounded edges of a fretboard. It's the only thing preventing me from buying a Vintera guitar. Once I figured out the difference, I couldn't help but feel how sharp those MIM fretboard edges are.

I had a little luck rounding a classic 50s neck with a screwdriver, but not interested in trying that on a $1000 guitar or whatever the new Vinteras go for now.

tele12 and Martocaster like this.
  14. TwangerWannabe

You know you could pay a reputable luthier/repairperson to roll the fretboard edges for a pretty reasonable fee, right? You could buy a guitar for well under a grand, have a shop roll the fretboard edges for you and still be out the door for well under a grand.

NewKid likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm a bit too interested in cars, and drive way too many miles per year.

We've got 4 of these Saab 9-5s. And I'm always impressed how different one example is from the next. Even though I did cherry pick them.

16. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

What I am always worried about is the tuning stability and durability with cheaper instruments.

17. Martocaster

Martocaster TDPRI Member

On a guitar with a tinted maple neck?
    ive been looking into doing this on my CV but I was under the impression it wasn’t really doable without totally refinishing the neck?

18. TwangerWannabe

You might have me beat there. Definitely can do it on rosewood, but you may not be able to do it to a finished maple neck.

19. Martocaster

Martocaster TDPRI Member

Ah that’s a shame, I was hoping you had some solutions that I hadn’t come across yet. I still am tempted to do something, I don’t care too much what it looks like, I just love the feel of those rolled edges.

20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I rigorously avoid all of these youtube comparison vids because I hear what youtube does to my own vids when I post them. I can't even bother with the OP vid.

My experiences IRL lead me to be skeptical that there is a tangible, consistent, sonic benefit to buying a fancy electric guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.