Reason to Buy More Expensive Fender

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Feb 4, 2020.

1. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I just bought my first MIA, a used, but dead mint, AO 50s Tele for $1,265. I thought that was a good deal, but is it better, or worth $400 more that my Vintera Tele? Yes, IMO.

The Vintera is very well built, but the AO shows more attention to detail... dot markers line up better with the strings, strings are more centered over bridge pickup poles, rolled fretboard edges (love that), more elegantly carved neck, bone nut, richer sounding pickups, nicer finish (nitro, sorta), better neck pocket fit, nicer fret work... HOWEVER, these differences aren't huge and not worth the 1k difference between the cost of a new Vintera and a new AO, to me...

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

So changing pickups cannot make a guitar sound better?
    This is a black day for after market pickups then....

3. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Nonsense. Changing pickups can improve a guitar (like my MIM tele). But it can not change it into another guitar.

I have the same electronics in some MIA and MIM guitars like in my CS ones. But what a difference it still makes.
    90% of the tone of a guitar is defined by the wood, and that's not changeable.

Evil Funk likes this.
  4. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I buy what I like, and what I can afford. Life is short.

Jim603 and Gene O. like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If I want a great playing and sounding tele I buy a great neck and pickups I like the sound of. They don't have to have a brand name or model number on them. Aside from fancy figured wood or having the luxury of someone else applying the finish for you or do a little work on it I don't see much benefit in paying more than around $100 to $200 bucks for a neck.

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

There are proofs of concept to the contrary, like the Fender cardboard strat and the complete plastic one. So I prefer wood as well. But even the cardboard sounds like a strat, meaning I don't believe the 90% is the wood theory, but I'm not convinced that either will last very long.

We all know that two pieces of wood even from the same tree can have massive differences (and I have been in that trade for years, nobody can prove otherwise), so as the wood makes this TE-52 sound better than the Fender that the HB was just "lucky", and the Fender drew the short straw where wood was concerned? And I suppose the sames goes for the other 10% (which I assume will be the pickups?).

Still makes the comparison unfair... Because none of the other important properties of the guitar were taken into account. I love affordable guitars, but these types of comparison are useless, and many factors are personal preferences.

7. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

lolololololol....90%. That is the most ridiculous post in this whole thread. Even more so than the guy who said he ONLY even CONSIDERS vintage or CS.

Si G X likes this.
  8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

To anyone who thinks that Shane is a shill for anyone is dead wrong. He always says what he really thinks no matter what. His trashing of the Mustang GT amps when they came out cost Fender thousands of sales, and he still stands by that assesment of them. When he gets a new GTX to try he'll be just as honest about his opinion of it.

beagle likes this.
  9. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Yes, but wouldn't it be great to own a freakin' 911?

Catatafish likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The guy in the blues video has played some turds that sound terrible to my ears before and given them great reviews. That could be because of how he played it or dialed it in or recorded it. It's best to form your own opinions on what gear is good or bad after playing it yourself.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    el cheapo and LunarSlingShot like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Can I have the Corvette Stingray and the leftover cash instead?

GGardner likes this.
  12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Simply put: If you dont have the money for the more expensive guitar, get what you can afford.
    There are a lot of options out there. Some are better than others, and the saying that you get what you pay for, is still going to apply.
    Personally I have found that little things like better pickups and hardware are the biggest difference between price points.

13. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Always a pleasure to make people happy.

But you muddled up some things. I am the guy with the 69.- Harley Benton Tele copy.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You can't judge the cost of tools by the products made with them.
    Cheap tools can be used to make good products, but the cheap tools may need to be modded, repaired, frequently adjusted, thrown away after a year, or tolerated without much enjoyment of using them.

There is maybe a case for judging the sound of acoustic instruments, but even an acoustic guitar that sounds good may have other issues.

Would you buy a Wal Mart socket set because it tightens nuts the same as Craftsman or Snap On?

nicod98 likes this.
  15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I guess the key is to get a guitar that is good enough for you. Generally speaking, a more expensive guitar is "better" than a cheaper guitar. But will double the cost get you a guitar that is twice as good? That's debatable. If you shop wisely, you can get a $400 guitar and spend $100 on a good pro setup, and have $500 into a guitar that is perfectly playable and feels/sounds great. Is it "as good" as a $2,000 guitar. Maybe not. But does it matter, if you're happy with the $500 guitar? If all you do is drive to the grocery store, is a Porsche better than a Camry?

Fiesta Red likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Another interesting facet of the new love of cheap guitars is GAS.

Used to be we bought a cheapo to learn on and saved up for what we really wanted, bought that and often spent a lifetime playing one or two electrics.

Now we read all these insistent claims that cheap guitars are great, but the owners never seem satisfied and seem to spend as much time watching youtube reviews, shopping, buying and modding cheap guitars while ridiculing buyers of expensive guitars.
    If cheap guitars are great, why so little satisfaction?

I suppose there are rich people who are constantly buying another expensive guitar, but on a budget I'd vastly prefer fewer guitars of higher quality over more guitars that are all cheap.

17. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Didn't muddle anything up. There was a guy here who posted that he ONLY considers playing Vintage or Custom shop guitars, nothing else. I find that ridiculous. However, I find your statement that 90% of a guitar's tone comes from the wood, even more ridiculous.

nicod98 likes this.
  18. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I happen to think there is a tipping point, where quality does not go up at the same rate as the price, but it's not at the low 150 USD price point of a HB...

GAS is also fun, and perhaps that's part of the satisfaction too? I have way to many guitars, but if I could keep only one acoustic and one electric I have ever bought, it would be my Canadian Art & Lutherie parlor guitar and my (Chinese) Fender Modern Player thinline tele. (which is very similar in quality to the Squier CV series)

I think ridiculing buyers of expensive guitars is only done by a minority. I only comment on guitars I actually know, and as my most expensive tele is around 800 euro, I never comment on American teles for instance. I can easily accept the fact that a 2000 euro American Fender is far better than my 400 euro Modern Player tele. I just would not dare to play it in fear of scratching it.
    I like to think I'm in the "low-to-medium" price range from around 350-700 euro.

Evil Funk likes this.
  19. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

You're welcome.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  20. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Thanks for this comment.

I can't remember any proven pro who denies the difference between a cheap guitar and a boutique/high end guitar.
    No racing driver ever said a family car was all he needed.

I have a 69.- HB guitar, have some MIM, MIA, CS and boutique guitars. I have a training in musical instruments making and decades of pro playing.
    I never said cheap guitars are rubbish.
    I only indicate that there are reasons for guitars above 3k. Keep in mind that a medium quality violin is 10k and up.

Today one can get a fine guitar under 1k - that's great!!
    But this doesn't take away the difference to guitars that need to cost 3-7 k.
    (I still wait for a sub 2k guitar that delivers the same tone like my CS/boutique ones.
    I will buy you a real good italian pizza if you can beat me.)

Who needs such a guitar?
    Few players do. Most don't.

Who can make use of such a guitar?
    Some players do. Most don't.

Everything's ok.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.