Reason to Buy More Expensive Fender

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Feb 4, 2020.

1. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Ridiculous

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Guitar snobbery predates the internet by a long time. :)

3. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Lot's of reasons!

Roasted maple neck
    Roasted ash bodies
    Nitro finishes
    Refined body shapes
    "Better" Pups
    "Better" set up...
    More options

That said you may very well find a Squier off the shelf that ticks all the boxes for you! You may dig customizing your own in which case buying an AV or much less a CS for instance would not be money well spent.

A Squier will never be worth more nor much less ...so safe investment. That's a huge reason to NOT buy higher end.

I think if you're younger and can hold on to stuff some of the AV's etc will be worth a bit more come 30+ years.... Heck 1970's CBS Fenders fetch $3000! If you're into flipping guitars spending more that ~$1000 will almost always result in a substantial loss if sold in short order.

4. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I'm only interested in USA original vintage, or Custom Shop, so I ain't qualified to comment.

5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think you can get a good less expensive Fender. Having said that I have read to many threads that go: I just bought this Squire after I change the pickups, neck, frets, bridge and tuners it will be a nice guitar. I hope so.

6. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Yeah! How much better do you get for loads more cash? I have a collection of Teles - Squire Affinities - Classic Vibe, "Vintage Brand", Roadworns, Japanese Tokai and have just splashed out - with a generous trade in - for a used Custom Shop Nocaster. I have to say the Custom Shop one is better in every way but..... by how much; certainly not 10x or even twice? MIM Roadworns are fine guitars by any score and Classic Vibes are astonishing for the money as is the Wilkinson "Vintage" and the Affinties are not rubbish by any count - good players and great mod platforms.

Unfortunately, if you want Custom Shop - then they cost but I really cannot see the £3500 new cost here as justified for what is two bits of wood screwed together. I now have one fabulous guitar in the Nocaster, which will be my main squeeze but I don't believe in the snob value of owning "the best" and certainly not looking down on lesser marques because frankly most models made today are pretty damn good actually, with no physical reason why you can't play the best on them. After all in the end, it's all about how you move your fingers - "It aint what you got - it's what you do with it!"

NewKid likes this.
  7. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

My interest is only 2012-2017 American Vintage Reissue.
    I've owned enough MIJ and MIM reissues to know they fall short. I've owned enough Custom Shops to know they aren't worth the extra.

8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Funny, I just listened to it. I guessed it correctly too.

I think the fender has a cleaner, clearer, tighter sound than the benton. You could easily tell that 'dude' was more comfortable on guitar A. It had a little messier, kind of ratty tone to it, that cheap little guitars seem to have.

I'm saying the Fender felt tighter, had a bigger neck, probably hadn't been set up or played nearly as much by that guy. I think the video showed more about the player than the guitars.

beninma likes this.
  9. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Maybe in Australia but here in Eu Players are 650$, Vintera 850-900$, Performer 1100$ . Pro 1400

10. Bradcaster

Bradcaster TDPRI Member

My MIM FSR BSB is every bit as good as an American AV '52 RI "for me". For what it is, it is nearly flawless. These things are probably all cut on computer-controlled CNC's for crying out loud and then after finishing somebody bolts them together, how do you screw that up? Now I KNOW there are differences and compromises. The thick shiny black plastic pickguard looked nice enough, but static out the wazoo. I replaced with bakelite, and found plenty of sloppy sawdust and gunk left under the original guard. Poly finish. Ceramic pickups. Tuners are just okay. I swapped knobs and string tree, but those things aren't now "better", just different. I can do new pickups, cap, etc anytime. The ash body has nice grain, but I wouldn't call it "select". An American guitar probably would have used nicer piece(s) of wood, finished in nitro. Otherwise I like the neck feel, and the body is resonant and sounds great unplugged. I can do whatever I want with this Tele, it's all I need right now. I don't need to know or believe it's as good or better than a $1000+ more expensive American guitar - it probably isn't. BUT, there's really nothing at all wrong with my MIM either. You can't really say it doesn't look the part, people often mistake it for American, and in spite of its "cost controls" it sounds darn good to me.

Obsessed and EspyHop like this.
  11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I was listing current USA prices from Fender's web page, and I was listing Telecaster prices.

You can skew this to make it look worse if you compare a MIM Jazzmaster chosen just right vs a USA Telecaster.. Jazzmasters seem to be a little bit more expensive than Strats or Teles in the current pricing scheme.

12. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Ok. I went to a annual session for some years - experienced guys with a lot of mileages like me, most have great gear, like a real '57 strat or some boutique guitars.
    Once I visited Thomann on the way and bought one of those Harley Benton Tele copy for 69.-, they even gave me a new set of strings for free because the e string broke when I tried out that guitar.
    They gave me a blue plastic trash bag for the transport ;- ) !!

Then I joined the session with that cheapo. There was quite some astonishment when I let that guitar ring. Big fun. (Caused more attention than my boutique number one).

Still have and like that guitar, but I never play it. I play my Ruokangas, Fender CS, PRS or Eastman guitars. These are sooooo much better that I even almost never touch my dear lake placid blue MIM telecaster that I really love.

There's a time for beer and a time for premium french wine. And there's a difference.

bftfender and NewKid like this.
  13. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nope. I don't happen to think so. But then, I don't see any value in buying anything new from Fender either.

There's more reason to practice regularly I think.

kodiakblair and Si G X like this.
  14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yep.. the only time (IMO) the joke is on you is when you buy 10 crappy guitars and convince yourself they're great when you could have had 1-2 great ones for the same money.

I do seem to run into this in real life with people I come across.

For sure you can do setup work, level frets, reset necks, change pickups, rewire stuff, etc.. to improve a cheaper guitar. And obviously there are people doing that on the internet.

But mostly with people I know the cheap guitars that are hard to play stay that way.

15. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Yes, no, maybe, it’s all in your eyes, it’s all in your ears....ummmm, what was the question?

16. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I've watched the youtube video, and having owned three HB teles, I found it an unfair test...
    What are we really comparing here? Only the sound of the pickups... Even the slightest roll on the tone button and one guitar sounds better than the other.

There's a lot more to a guitar than just that. Playability for one. If you can fly a plane between the strings and the fretboard, that might be an issue.
    I owned a TE-30, TE-52 and TE-70, and I'm glad I've gotten rid of all of them. They all had their faults (the shape, knots in the neck, neck warping, very cheap fretboard finish, very soft frets, ...). Last summer I played a TE-90 in the Thomann shop in Germany, but the finish was so bad, I'll never consider buying a HB again. NONE of them could even compare on any level (except for the pickups) with the cheaper Squier ranges, not even to the Bullet tele.

On the other hand, I don't believe a 1000 euro American Performer tele is actually twice as good as a Fender Player or a Squier Classic Vibe. For MY level of playing Squier hits the sweet spot... Affordable and good quality for the price.

I do think the now defunct VM and CV series were great value for little money, and fit my level of playing perfectly.
    If you can get a brand new Squier mid range tele for around 250 euros new, do we really need to buy a 140 euro copy?

NewKid likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

There is never a time for any wine, even premium French wine, over truly good beer, sir. :rolleyes:

18. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

If Guitar A is not the Fender their in a heap of trouble..
    I admit I only listened to the first couple of rifts ... and I would fall solidly in the camp that believes an expensive Fender is really not worth the price..
    jmo.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  19. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

But no!

I listened on my crappy tablet and then on my studio monitor system. The resonance and spectrum of the guitars would still be the same even with different pickups.
    You can't fool experienced ears.

edit: sorry, don't want to sound arrogant. But a lifetime of playing pro should make a difference.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  20. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

I guess that's the explanation for the many people who do not get the difference.

(There's an awful lot of great beer around here where I live, btw.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.