Reason to Buy More Expensive Fender

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Feb 4, 2020.

1. TCB3

TCB3 TDPRI Member

Yes they did to make it believable and or he has multiple tiered sponsor deals. Laws currently don't mandate them to divulge sponsors/endorsements and or marketing information. So anything he say's I'd take with a grain of salt. You believe that all these channels do the with semi pro and pro level production because they love guitars? The level of production and editing requires they almost don't work with some of these videos outside of the videos. Thereby somehow they monetized these videos correct? With the subscriber number it isn't viable without dollars from sponsors, sorry that's economics.
    And I'm not saying the chaperons instruments are bad just realize it's in the eye of the beholder these videos 99% are paid for by insert company name.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Evil Funk likes this.
  2. TCB3

TCB3 TDPRI Member

I'd say 1-5% of large YouTube channels that review gear are totally independent operations only existing off non musical instrument co revenue only subscriber and non music ad revenue. The rest are getting dollars and or gear for reviews and are not to be trusted for legit information other than posted specs.

jwag and Evil Funk like this.
  3. TCB3

TCB3 TDPRI Member

So how do you think these reviewers get all these instruments and gear from Fender/Gibson to review? Either they own a music store so of c course they can't say it sucks they have to sell it. Or they get it from said company to review for them and get paid to do so on the side. Why would they say it sucks? So they can stop getting cool gear to review and get paid?
    Please no joking link me to some channels that don't follow this model and buy all the gear they review and or have negative reviews of a company along with positive ones?
    I've never seen it. Sometimes they might go lukewarm in a review never negative. That for me tells me the whole story every company puts out a bad product or line once if we don't review it accurately it make's everything before it suspect.

Steve Holt likes this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The instrument and the quality of the instrument both matter. I have a MIM Telecaster with N4 pickups. The sound is the same as an Elite and the neck is very playable to me. but there are subtle differences, weight, finish, quality of hardware among them. My American Standard Strat is upscale from my Telecaster. The hardware is certainly better. I didn’t have to do any final finishing on the frets. My CS Strat is at another level entirely. It’s quieter than any other single coil guitar I’ve ever played. The clarity is amazing. The attention to detail is like nothing else I’ve seen from Fender. Is the top of the line worth it when you can mod and finish a basic guitar most of the way there? I can’t answer that for anyone else, but my CS Strat has become my #1 and it gets more playing time than all my other guitars combined. And with a heavy relic finish, I don’t have to worry about banging it into a table.

Evil Funk and black_doug like this.
  5. Cooper

Cooper Tele-Meister

Didn't watch the video; I just like these kinds of threads. I worked in a guitar store for a long time. Yes, the more expensive guitars are nicer. Are they better? I really don't think so. Excluding the bottom rung (ie: the bullets, etc.) I don't see why any Fender/Squier guitar isn't "gig worthy." Would I WANT to gig with it? Probably not. But they make sound, they stay in tune, they look like guitars and they'll carry you through a set.

FWIW, after leaving the guitar store I sold my MIA American Series Tele and got a Classic Vibe 50s. I miss the neck on the MIA guitar, but not because the Squier has a poorly made neck. Just a preference thing. Other than that, I'm so much happier with this guitar than the American. But I don't gig.

Buzzgrowl, nicod98 and Telecaster88 like this.
  6. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I would buy the guitar that has the best tone, feel, and aesthetics that I can reasonably afford at the time. Those are all subjective attributes.

To a certain point those attributes typically go up with cost. After that it is increasingly subjective and truly comes down to one’s preferences for the smallest of details.

I haven’t always picked the most expensive guitar I could afford at the time. A while back, I went with a Baja Telecaster because it had the neck and pickups I wanted but couldn’t get in anything outside of the custom shop. More recently, I chose a standard D-18 from Martin over the Authentic series model and a handful of similar small-shop guitars (Collings, Huss & Dalton, etc) because I liked the slightly warmer tone and slightly slimmer neck profile just a little better.

That said, I did prefer the tone, feel, and aesthetics of those two guitars to something like a Squier Classic Vibe or a Yamaha FG800 — both incredible guitars at a great price, but not quite what I was going for.

It’s all about getting the most guitar for your money and checking the most boxes in terms of what you like in a guitar. Related to what I said earlier, a price tag often goes up with number of boxes, but not always.

What’s great is there are wonderful guitars out there at any and every price point and no one should feel like they have to settle for something they don’t like.

Oakville Dave and JL_LI like this.
  7. TCB3

TCB3 TDPRI Member

I had the unfortunate experience of working in a factory previous years ago which produced products. I can tell you that higher end products had significantly greater amount of quality control and workers with great experience creating them and checking them than the ones with less value. Of which great sums would come back as RMA and or bad and the higher end product not so much or the company loses money that is why greater value products are better. It's economics nothing else.

Censport likes this.
  8. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

When I was a lad, another band felt so sorry for our band because of our poor instruments. They were so kind as to let us use their quality stuff. Man it was night and day. I'll never forget how much better we sounded with the
    "quality" instruments. FWIW.

Evil Funk and Kebmel like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

HB doesn't need to sponsor the video. This type of video is click-bait-gold to youtube channels. You click, you watch, they get the advertising cash.

Thomann hit the right recipe for these guitars. They went direct to the factory and so cut out the typical distributor layer of price doubling. If this guitar were $400 instead of $200 the desire and comparisons become much more difficult. The Anderson-Chapman guitars are the same way, cut out the middle pricing, make a few upgrades, and sell a lot of guitars.

As for the resale comments .... here's how I see the math working out:
    $2,000 Fender new converts to a used market price around $1,000 +/- for condition and willingness to list longer for slightly higher. Effectively you're down $1,000.
    $200 HB new converts to $50 used market price (worst case guessing) regardless of reasonable condition. Effectively you're down $150.
    Percentage wise, yes the Fender is the better deal as you've lost less percent of cash. But I'd rather be down $150 than down $1,000.

The only real potential problem areas I see with the HB is you may get it and need a full fret level worst case which is $100 most places and the guitar will play like the Fender after that (depending on the skill of the fret leveler, maybe even custom shop comparable if they are good). Maybe you spend $30 on pots, switch, jack updates, pay a friend to solder for you and make it a round $50 cost to have the same brands as are in the Fender.
    So even say you do these upgrades and still sell the HB for $50 ... you are down $300 vs down $1,000. Then you need to ask if the headstock logo is worth $700.

Overall, the HB business model makes a lot of sense unless you need the brand, and that's where Fender excels.

10. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I agree to take everything I see online with a grain of salt.

I respect your opinion but I’m not interested in a debate or argument with you.

Even if Shane is sponsored and he does say he borrows a lot of his gear to review from Sky Music, I still like and will continue to watch his videos. He’s in Australia and I’m in the U.S. so I like his perspective.

Kebmel and Mad Kiwi like this.
  11. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

I like his channel and enjoy his videos. But a lot of it is presenting and promoting stuff companies send to him (like most youtube channels, aka advertising). To see his opinion between the lines, look at what he's selling and what he's keeping in his video:

NewKid likes this.
  12. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

I get the point. But is Baja any worse than Am Pro? Locking tunners? I still preffer Baja i played in store . (expect i bought two Squiers CV's lol )

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Haven’t watched the video.
    I probably won’t, because (truth be told) I can’t choose a guitar based on somebody else playing it. I have little weird things I prefer, some of which boil down to feel and “personal taste.”

Having said all that, I think the mid- to upper-tier he go-en-Ensenada guitars are the best bang-for-your-buck instruments out there, if you plan on playing it and not flipping/swapping/trading it. Double that opinion if you’re a modded/tinkerer and not going to leave it stock/original from the factory. My much-beloved avatar Telecaster is not valuable (in the sense that it’s a 1995 MIM instrument), but it’s perfect for me.

The best resale value will be upper-tier American production models and Custom Shop models. They may or may not sound any better, but they’ll usually have features you’re not gonna find on the lower price-point instruments.

Would I play a Squier or Harley-Benton or whatever?
    Heck yeah—if it feels good, sounds good and looks good (to me)...that’s always been my benchmark.

Kebmel likes this.
  14. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

like that.answer...when you have a good one..good wood..good neck..no way a cheapy that wont tuning stabilize hang in the long run..given the choice of the toyota..porsche..i will the take the porsche...all day everyday..

right tool for the right job..def..i have all kinda guitars & amps...i use my ears..but always do a job with the best tool...i have no super expensive ones..my friends have tons of original guitars & amps & that original 68 LP Custom into his original bluesbreaker amp...once you there...not much can top it...but i sure do have a few Gibby's knocking on the door..that resonance..the neck...the whole instrument is on a level that a player making music in studios & live can appreciate..it matters
    the cheap route is jus a fight basically to prove you can try & emulate & imitate,,go get the real deal ..if you can afford it...embrace...make music..

mschafft likes this.
  15. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

The insurance, cost of maintenance, and freakout moment when it gets the first scratch.

:D

16. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don't think there is a super huge difference between a cheaper Fender and the more expensive models. However, once you get above the Fender top end and venture into the real boutique stuff like Ron Kirn, Tom Anderson, or Bill Crook there is a noticeable difference in playability and quality. Those guitars almost play themselves!;)

corbo and Old Deaf Roadie like this.
  17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think we have all griped about what a bad guitar we have or have had. Until, that is, someone picks it up and plays it clearly and flawlessly right in front of you. Remember that emotion, because it is telling you to go practice.

18. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

It's my personal opinion that plenty of the "lower cost" options from Fender like the MIMs are well made guitars in their own right. But to each his own - if someone really feels it more playing their Custom Shop Fender, more power to them. There are plenty of folks who think the Squier and CV Teles are fantastic guitars - I haven't been a big fan of the ones I've played (other than one Thinline), but if they're fantastic to them, more power to them.

19. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This is why I grow my own guitars. Unlike factories, with me building a guitar is not a "time is money" deal which allows me to spend as much time as I want to get things right and the way I prefer.

20. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

My thought on resale comments is this: If you're buying a guitar for its resale value, you're buying it for the wrong reasons. You should be looking for a guitar you don't want to resell. The resale value of my PRS will benefit my daughter when she sells it after I die. And I doubt that's what she's going to care about when it happens.

LOSTVENTURE, Canner, SheldonP and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.