Reason to Buy More Expensive Fender

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

To summarize, are you saying MIM guitars are the same as MIA guitars, just built with cheaper labor?

In my personal experience, I have had great MIM guitars, but I have not found them equal in quality (including materials, components and fit & finish) to my MIA Fenders.

2. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

No, I'm not saying that, because the specs are different - and that's where Fender's marketing 'justifies' the extra cost of a guitar made in the USA - it's called perceived value. And that higher value is only perceived by those who think a guitar made in the USA is better than one made elsewhere... it's what Fender would have you believe about a product in order to screw more money out of you. (Just to reiterate, I'm not talking Custom Shop here... I totally accept that more goes into the making of those guitars.)

So in terms of production costs, I'm saying that the biggest actual (not perceived) difference between the two, is the cost of labour and the relative costs of running a plant in Mexico vs the USA - not the skills of the workforce, not the time it takes to make a guitar, not the raw materials and not the components.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    kodiakblair and Si G X like this.
  3. Bluesidae

Bluesidae TDPRI Member

Simply because you are worth it! Treat yourself to the best guitar that YOU can afford. BTW I choose guitars over golf clubs, fishing boats and fast cars!

4. BenTobith

BenTobith TDPRI Member

Well, a lot of that is due to the fact that MIA models have cut corners in almost every way possible over the years. It has been a slow boil. Only if you go back far enough will the stark difference become clear. JMHO.

5. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Tone chasing is so hard. Most of the time your pocket will dictate your choice of instrument. I've seen some guys
    playing less than average guitars and they were okay, but the same guy with a better guitar was .....wait for it......wait for it......better.

6. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

You make a good point, and it was part of my point as well...that it's not the skills of the workers or country of origin that makes the difference in the guitars.

VerySlowHand likes this.
  7. allthumz

allthumz Tele-Meister

I got it right. But if you had waited like a minute between each test I doubt I could tell any difference.

I play at home. Occasionally with friends. If someone gave me the Fender I'd be ecstatic.

For my own money? The HB every time assuming build quality is acceptable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.