Reason to Buy More Expensive Fender

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Yeah I've been eyeing off the HB Double Cut too. It's great to have a southpaw doing such great review work for us poor buggers who can't get to try much if going to a local shop. Usually an Ibanez Gio, and perhaps an Affinity Squier, and if you hit the jackpot might find an Epi Les or Iommi SG but most shops never have more than 3
    Have to say it was great heading from Australia to New York and going into Sam Ash and they had several Sgs and Les Pauls including some custom shop R9s and similar to finally get to have a crack on those as well as a really nice top end Gretsch 6118 anniversary model (I think that's what it was)

NewKid and intheblues like this.
  2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I've never owned a HB guitar and I'm not really interested in them to be honest.... but I do have a £27 Roswell filtertron knock off pickup (which I believe they use?) and I really really like how it sounds, I only bought it as a 'place holder' for something 'better' later down the line when funds allow, but I don't think I'll bother now. I really love it, seriously and I have a $125 TV jones in my other guitar, so I'm not opposed to paying for the right pickup.

intheblues likes this.
  3. intheblues

intheblues TDPRI Member

I'd love to know your theory about the 'agenda' you speak of. I made this so beginners know what major tone differences there are between a cheap and expensive guitar. When I started playing guitar, the cheaper guitars sounded crap compared with more expensive guitars. These days, I could take any number of inexpensive guitars out and do a gig with them. Whether it's Squier, Harley Benton, or Artist Guitars - they are all very playable.

Unlike a lot of bigger channels, I never post-process my audio in my video. I hope that clears up your assumptions. This test is as fair as it gets and assuming the worst after 12 years of making videos and making it clear for years I don't do post-production on my audio is not very accurate.

Rock on :)

Thanks for all the comments and for sharing the post. Cheers!

Shane

4. ScottyMo

ScottyMo TDPRI Member

From what little bit of research I've done on guitar building, what I see in quality of a guitar is mostly in it's hardware such as tuners, pickups bridges, pots, switchs, wiring etc. The only differences in neck quality is maybe the fret dressing is not payed as much attention on the cheaper Squires. I had a MIJ Squire several years ago. I liked it about as good as my American Standard. Especially after I put a set of Grover tuners on it. This is just my 2 cents worth.

intheblues likes this.
  5. SpringTank

SpringTank TDPRI Member

Logically speaking why has there got to be.. other than wishing it were so? What would make that have to be?

You seemed to miss my point a little. I never once said only good guitars can be expensive. The heart of my point was this;

Squires and Fender's Mexican instruments are fantastic high quality instruments, but they are not on par with the American stuff.

A fantastic high quality instrument would generally be a good one, no? Therefore it stands to reason less expensive instruments can be good. Just because guitar A isn't as good or high quality as guitar B that doesn't mean guitar A is not a good guitar.

I'm not going to go down the anecdotal list of guitars I've owned, where they were made and how good they were compared to others because it's simply that.. anecdotal. Or biased. ;)

Between the attention to detail, the quality of the wood, hardware, electronics and labour, I don't feel it's an unreasonable or inflammatory statement to say American made Fenders are often better than overseas cheaper guitars. If that weren't the case no one would be buying American. Fender would be shooting themselves in the foot.

So that aside, if you want to talk good guitars you'd first have to define good and how it's quantified.

For me personally, a good guitar feels good, plays good, sounds good and looks good. Country of origin - who cares. Doesn't matter.

I was simply illustrating a point from my opinion of one brand's output vs another based on 15 years of selling, collecting and repairing electric guitars for a living.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  6. BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz TDPRI Member

You might. If you only have to tighten one or two nuts.
    I am a tradesman and I grew up in a family of tradesmen.
    I can’t always tell the quality of work provided by someone that uses cheap tools at first... that usually becomes apparent when they get to the task; not always... but more often than not.

The thing about having quality tools means you can concentrate on doing the work and not have to worry if your tools will fail in the middle of the project.

I still have the first pipe wrench my big brother gave to me when I started in the trade: a steel 18” Ridgid Heavy Duty pipe wrench. It’s 27 years old and it actually is a better tool now than the day got it.

I also have my first guitar. A Gibson Les Paul Standard that I bought used when I was 16... 32 years ago. Again, I think it’s a better instrument now than it was back then, even after countless gigs and jam sessions. It was 9 years old when I purchased it. The original owner left it in the case under his bed after he bought it.

I wasn’t tempted to by another guitar until I played a Fender American Professional Telecaster. They’re $2000 I Canada. It’s worth every penny.
    It has personality and amazing playability. When I first picked it up, it felt like I had already been playing it for years. I can plug straight into a deluxe reverb and crank it up and it sounds great.

I see guys that purchase cheap tools and then suffer buyers remorse because they realize that no matter how hard they try and convince themselves, their made in Zimbabwe Relicaster sounds like poo when it’s plugged in next to the genuine article.
    These same guys put $1000 of upgrades into their guitars and they’re still not getting the sound and playability.
    They end up going through 20 guitars and they’re never satisfied.

I’m not a gear snob, but I just won’t sink money into cheap tools, not for work, and definitely not for music.

SpringTank likes this.
  7. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I can attest to that. Treated myself to a Kirn for my birthday last year and that sucker just sings. 6E4841DD-80DC-4B8E-BBEA-49050C6198A1.jpeg

Greggorios, gkterry and intheblues like this.
  8. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

If you want a great sounding guitar become a great guitar player. It works every time.

Gene O., gkterry, kodiakblair and 8 others like this.
  9. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Setup and strings and the neck mean more to me initially than the parts. I've pulled so many American teles and strats off the wall at Guitar Center looking for one that felt right and haven't bought one yet. Four out of my four teles came from pawn shops. Not because of price, but because someone had taken the time to buy one, get it set up properly, and if it just played like butter, I usually went home with it. Kind of like first dates....

Same way with the Gretsch I just bought. In GC, they all played stiff. Played one of the same models at another music store in town that has a good musician/tech guy there, and they set up all their guitars out of the box. That little extra attention made me take home one of their Gretsches. I had almost written off all Gretsches as just "stiff". Not so. Price difference was about $30 - less than the cost of a good setup.

If I can't play it well, it's not going to sound good. I know most, if not all of the GC teles could be set up to play well, but they're not. Or haven't been so far. Not to knock GC. I spend a lot of time and some money there, too.

10. mvice001

mvice001 NEW MEMBER!

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio ($900), a American 60’s Fender Jaguar ($2099) and a Fender MIM Telecaster ($500). It is all about what suits your needs, sound, and the way you play. I understand that all the guitars I own are different in style. What amazes me is the guitar that I always go to and think sounds the best is the MIM Tele. I only changed the bridge pickup but I love that guitar. Don’t think I will ever spend $2000 on a guitar again. To each is own. It’s all subjective.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  11. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

Er, which human being?
    Please post a picture of a guitar which was built without humans…yeah, there are none. I find your attitude offensive.

12. mmannaxx

mmannaxx TDPRI Member

Don't care for Classic Vibes, too heavy and necks too thin. MIM Classic 50s and classic players are pretty nice Teles. As is the 69 reissue Thinline which is Mexican but you need to change the tone pot on it. Road worns in the early years were pretty good as well. No experience with latest versions. Baja are nice, especially the neck but don't care for S1 switch, but like the 4 way. CS Nocasters are great if you can get a deal on one like I did, but would not pay retail price even though they are really nice guitars.
    You can make a great parts caster for a little over a thousand as well.

13. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Ive had teles from squiers, MIM, MIJ, MIA.

theres a reasonable step up in quality, fit and finish each price level, however, the differences becomes small as you go higher. My MIJ is on par with my MIA (AVRI 62), and my AVRI is still good compared to a regular CS, however the Masterbuilt and boutique ones are really good, but at that price, its just soooooo hard to justify the price..

but then again, I want a Ron Kirn. I can get or even surpass CS Masterbuilt quality for a third of the price.

NewKid likes this.
  14. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave TDPRI Member

I’m sure the video is well made etc, but I don’t need to see it.
    I just bought a beautiful American Professional Tele for £1399 - which doesn’t necessarily play £700 ‘better’ than my Classic Player Baja - which was half the price, and plays great.
    But the new Tele is worth every penny in playability, hardware, construction, finesse, aesthetics, experience & enjoyment.
    I couldn’t afford a US model last year, but it’s been worth the wait and the effort.

NewKid likes this.
  15. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

But it's not. There's a lot more attention to detail by skilled personal put into high end guitars than it is with normal production models.

16. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

The level of expertise in this thread is astonishing.

17. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

You havent tried New classic VIbes, they are lighter in weight. Lighter than mim Baja or Standard

18. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

How do you know that?

19. sharkoftheland

sharkoftheland NEW MEMBER!

My experience of this 'expensive vs cheap' is lightly different. I played guitar in my teens and then didnt bother. I picked it up again in my 30s. Bought a used American Fender Telecaster - beautiful guitar. Sold it because my playing was rubbish; I didnt think I deserved such a beauty and was worried I would damage it so couldnt relax with it. Started buying and selling cheaper guitars and worked out what was driving it: I was trying to mach my skill to the guitar. It started off where I was worse than the guitar and over time the challenge has become to find the cheapest guitar that I could play and not feel held back by the guitar. I got down to an Epiphone Les Paul with P90s at £120 brand new. Several guitars have passed though my hands, thanks to eBay. Here I am now, niceley balanced with a Squier Jazzmaster and Fender Mexico Telecaster. I am now happy.

20. mdphillips1956

mdphillips1956 TDPRI Member

They were the same for me inmost ways... and certainly with overdrive everything sounds the same so no surprises there; after all, a pickup is only a magnet with wire wound round it... Mark P................

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.