Reason to Buy More Expensive Fender

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Feb 4, 2020.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Okay, I am stunned, listen to it carefully and focus.

I known it is not only about sound but feel and craftsmanship. There are many factors like amplifier and looks of guitar also. I can understand harley benton not having bets frets, some cracks and not the best electronics but is Fender really worth what is it ? There is huge money difference between two of these. I already find Classic Vibe 50 Squier to be superior to a Baja/Vintera and Standard/Player series. If i had to pick between harley benton or Fender i would pick Squier. I got the vote right, my ears work fine i guess

What you sau? I find Vintera to be last option to pick. Higher end Fenders are waste of money i guess?

Attached Files:

2. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Not watching the video, but at a certain point, more money does not get you more guitar, just different guitar. If it’s the difference you must have, you must pay for it.

That being said, my CS sits in the case while I play my Am Spcl almost exclusively.

NicDo, Mikesk, SpringTank and 6 others like this.
  3. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I got the vote wrong. The A guitar sounded clearer and had more twang to me.

The reason I buy Fender is the brand’s history and the high quality of the models I’ve chosen. American Special is the most expensive I’ve purchased with the rest being Made in Mexico and one Indonesian Tele Deluxe.

I may have to give that $200 Harley Benton Les Paul Junior Doublecut in TV Yellow a try now.

I’ve always enjoyed Shane’s channel and trust his reviews.

4. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

A cheap toyota and a Porsche 911 will bring me to the supermarket in the same time.
    They will cost the same in the parking lot.

There's no difference to me.

Did I miss something?

Btw. I have a Harley Benton and a CS Tele. There will never be the smallest doubt which one plays and sounds better.

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure how useful a listening test is on my laptop. But . . .

Goes to show 2 things: that a good guitarist makes guitars sound good, and that there are some great cheap guitars out there.

I guessed right - thought the Harley sounded a bit thin - but quality isn't just about the way a guitar sounds. I have a 50s Baja, which I love, and picked up my mate's MIM standard a while back and thought it felt cheap.

Quality is also about durability. My Baja is 8 years old, has taken a beating, but feels brand new.

I have an HB goldtop that sounds great, but it doesn't feel as though it would last 8 years. I've already changed the nut, and it's crying out for new tuners at the very least.

So there you go: the cheap guitars are good short-term options. But they're possibly not for the long haul.

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

These videos can always be manipulated

I prefer to buy the American/more costly fenders because of quality and resale value generally stays okay and they are easy to sell if you don’t bond

There’re many reasons to me why I would rather buy USA fender or upper level mim/mij

7. mschafft

mschafft TDPRI Member

I can set up, upgrade and fine tune any guitar to my liking but it's easier with a better instrument...

8. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

I can’t get over that Harley Benton sounds like a Batman villain.

That aside, they do have some cool affordable options and I’ve heard good things. There can be really good guitars at a low price point, whether it’s worth paying more is up to the buyer.

9. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

I listened for 2 minutes and was sure. Checked the solution and to no surprise I was right. What's the point? This vid shows the more expensive guitar sounds better. I guess that's no revelation.

10. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

Not at all.

It’s pretty clear that these type of videos have an agenda and I don’t doubt that they manipulate the sound to make the cheap guitar sound as good as possible and the good guitar to sound as bad as possible.

Seeing something “in person” is totally different than seeing it on the internet. And you don’t know how it plays or feels from watching a video.

So other than not being able to really judge the quality, sound, or feel, these videos are very useful.

11. TCB3

TCB3 TDPRI Member

It's an echo chamber that we all seem to inhabit these days. The internet has doomed us to it. So those who can't afford a higher end instrument will band together in information silos and produce thought out reasons why the higher end guitars are worse than cheap ones. Mainly for psychological reasons to mitigate their emotions about not being able to afford a guitar they actually want. So they dream up reasons trying to steep them in logic to show why the cheap guitar is "better".
    Be honest the quality of a higher end guitar is better as well as the hardware specs. Period stop you're only lying to yourself. Now does that mean it's better for you????
    No, that is subjective and the main medium we interface with on a guitar is the neck so if that is right it can make the lack of the sum total looked past by the player.
    Play what you like and most important what you can afford. Higher end instruments aren't there to "hate", or let jealousy and other negative vibes be brought out by you about. They are there to inspire to play better, be better and have success enough to be able to attain and or inspire you to attain an instrument of equal value, not monetary value but emotional.

12. TCB3

TCB3 TDPRI Member

And if you're dumb enough to not know that Harley Beton or insert name of company isn't paying for these videos with scripts and editing you my friend are what Eric Clapton called his Gibson SG. The Fool. Marketing is behind all this stuff, and these small channels aren't "gear heads" 99% are guy's being paid to be "influencers" by companies, period. Sorry to break the news to those newbies to the interwebz but that is how it works here.

Evil Funk, Alter, SheldonP and 4 others like this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

After owning MIA and MIM Fenders, I still can't convince myself that there's a reason to spend the additional $$ for the MIA model.

14. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I play a Harley Benton, it looks, feels and sounds every bit as good as my Fender which was four times it's price. I don't need anybody to tell me what to spend my money on.

And it's a copy of a Gibson. Nuff sed.

15. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Shane said he liked his Fender better in the video. Did Harley Benton script that for him?

I asked if HB sponsored the video in the comments section. Will let you know if he responds.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    kevindsingleton, hemmings and beagle like this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not if you cannot appreciate any advantages.
    The brilliant Jack Pearson proves that it’s the player that matters, not his instrument/tools.

17. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

False. I can afford, and actually do own expensive guitars. Numerous guitars. But for a Tele, it goes against what a Tele is to make it expensive. Part of the design is to be simple and reasonably priced.

Tony474, Peltogyne, hemmings and 4 others like this.
  18. Catatafish

Catatafish TDPRI Member

For me it has nothing to do with quality. It has to do with two things. 1) I like to put on my wizard outfit, get drunk, and pretend I'm Jimmy Page. Turns out, I sound exactly like him (think Live-Aid). He played an American made Gibson and Tele, so I must as well. 2) I'll try to state this without being political, but I prefer anything I buy to be made under labor practices and environmental guidelines that align with my beliefs.

So yeah, my $2000 Tele is absolutely worth it to me in spite of the fact that I would sound exactly as crappy using a pink Squier.

LPTyler, jdto, Jay Jernigan and 11 others like this.
  19. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

An expensive Fender /Gibson is a given both in quality and spec ..,usually !!! .A cheapo is a step in the dark for a small sum of money .The gap is closing though and is often down to finishing a setting up and ego .

Ripradiant likes this.
  20. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

When I was still at TGP, I noticed that there is a large number of guitarists who promote the notion that cheap guitars (like MIM, or whatever) are as good or often better than expensive ones.
    Of course there are always exceptions possible, but I guess the real reason for this tale is to produce contentment among those who can't afford expensive guitars.
    It's a kind of peer group ritual.
    That video confirms the wishes of low end users. But it's not worth a serious discussion.
    I often said that different needs require different tools. A simple rock and blues bedroom or small club player can easily use cheap gear. But there are many more demanding applications with guitars where you simply can not use cheapos.
    So why claiming "my cheap guitar is as good as those expensive ones" instead of being satisfied with the different needs and the fact that today for every level there are countless fine instruments available? It's a golden age of guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.