1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reapplying tolex that won't stick?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by choosebronze, Jul 11, 2018.

1. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

OK cool thanks! Yeah I think you're golden, I've left my cab in the car in hot FL sun and no edges are creeping up not even a little. I went thru an entire can of 90 on a 24x24 Super-sized combo cab.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

Axis29 likes this.
  3. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Wow Schmee, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to make that. And thank you to everyone for all the advice. I figured this would be a short topic with one or two replies. Never underestimate the helpfulness of TDPRI!

schmee likes this.
  4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I just finished a cabinet a couple weeks ago. My first attempt at covering a cabinet. I did tweed. I used 3M 90 for most of the cabinet. and used a whole can. I finished it off and had just a little bit more to do. I used 77 to finish it off and also to do the back panels. It's held up well, so far. I found the 77 dried faster and grabbed quicker than the 90. But, the 90 let me have a few extra minutes of adjustment time.

I've used 77 for other projects in the past and never had an issue... Hoping I don't with this one!

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I hope those of you that use the 3M spray glue don't have problems, but based on many years of experience in my trade, I won't use it for anything critical.
    Years ago it said on the can label that the glue could be used to recover headliners. Another shop that I know locally tried it, every headliner that they did fell and they had to redo them.
    And as I have mentioned, it's expensive in the spray cans , I haven't bought any in a very long time , but it seems to be running $15-20 a can.
    If you get 2 cans, that's $30-40.
    You can certainly buy a quart of Weldwood for about that and a quart is enough to do several cabinets easily.The regular Weldwood contact is fairly cheap.
    We use the Landau Top 00233 , it's spray grade and formulated to withstand high temperatures and it costs a bit more.
    If there is an auto upholstery supply house in your area they may sell it in quarts, or you could check with a local auto upholstery shop, they might sell you a quart.

Schmee that is a pretty good explanation, thanks for posting it. FWIW there is also another horizontal cut across at the top.
    I didn't realize how the tolex was done on older Fender amps for a while, until I took the time to look closely.
    I still sometimes do diagonal cuts , especially if I am going to install metal corners. And if you do it right you could cover a cabinet and just have one overlapped seam in the center on the bottom , or as I did on this head, one piece for the top and sides and a single piece for the bottom with overlaps, the square corners are easier than the angled Fender combo cab corners for sure.
    I haven't put the metal corners on the bottom yet and still have to do the front board .

20180711_211455.jpg

Axis29 likes this.
  6. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

My first Tolex job, 2001. Didn't do the corners correctly that couldn't be salvaged to my knowledge. So I put brass corners on to cover the train wreck up. Platefire

DIY Champ 019.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Axis29 and BobbyZ like this.
  7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I watched a video were the used contact cement on the cabinet and the 3M 77 on the tolex. Myself I thought that was odd and have never tried it. IMO 3M spray glue or any spray glue has it place and an amp cabinets not one. What I like is Wisonart H2O not cheap but probably the best contact cement out there. It dose have a learning curve dose have to sit awhile ( 30 min.) before you stick it. I put two coats on. One time I used the solvent based contact on Tolex and it melted the Tolex and I used it before with no problem, must of been something the Tolex.

https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/wils...MIsNXnn9-h3AIVC41pCh1_vwuvEAYYAiABEgIlF_D_BwE

corn husk bag likes this.
  8. corn husk bag

corn husk bag TDPRI Member

I used the Wilsonart H2O many times on laminate with 0 problems. Works as good as the stuff that causes migraine head aches.

SacDAve likes this.
  9. Archtop67

Archtop67 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

im curious... has anyone ever used shellac to stick tweed to the wood ? in wrapping bicycle handlebars old school we wrap tightly and then soak with shellac and let dry ... it doesn't come off at all ... you could theoretically lacquer over that too ... hmm I tried tolex on a little pedal board and I had read use brush on thick on the wood and spray on the tolex... of course it didn't work lol I gave up on that as I really though I was buying woven tweed when I first bought material... that was a long time ago but I still have the memento to remind me to get real tweed lol

10. schmee

IIRC the spray on contact cements are water based.

11. Archtop67

ahhh ok... maybe ill try again with a new pedal board.. both forms stunk something awful lol I still have some of that tolex rolled up in shop

12. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

Today's 3M 77 is not the same formulation that it used to be. Seems like I read that in some reviews of the product where many people were having the same problem.

13. Archtop67

i have my can here and it is in fact the 77... why do they alwasy mess up good things?

14. schmee

Here's another thought; I dont use contact any more but, one thing I discovered is shellac-ing, or just spray painting the bare wood helps when using contact cement. I think bare dry wood soaks up too much solvent or glue and leaves it lacking in bond strength. Contact works great in big flat surfaces, but those critical joints are often the problem places. Shellac-ing fills the grain and the glue sticks better.

Axis29 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.