Reaper: Matching tempos with imported File

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by asatbender, Jun 22, 2021.

1. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Afflicted

I am wanting to do a home recording with a friend and having trouble matching tempos. I created a basic drum track and tapped tempo with the Mp3 that I am importing into the project. I already tried to "nudge" and move the tracks an line up but cannot synch up tempos. Any suggestions?

Here is the track I am importing to my project:

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Mouth, stinkey and Alamo like this.
  3. asatbender

Whew boy, that is above my skill level. I will try that on my imported media file and then build the drums back around it.

4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Thats a pretty advanced method for certain. a lot to do. But it does work.

Well seeing that many here are always comparing Reaper to Pro Tools , PT finds the meter in two clicks, an IN point and an OUT point. Very simple.

BUT...

These are very advanced features and many will never use them in either platform, make that any DAW platform, but then again, if we are doing any E Sessions, then we may use this function more than expected.

I recently had a friend send me a track to add some production , NO DRUMS or CLICK track. Just him and a guitar singing. I ran it thru PT 12, it found 4 or 5 different meters ! This was way out of my league, I didn't do anything with that session ! I read where PTs can be set up to change meters at different points when told , but geesh, when is enough enough !

The video above, while a bit detailed, shows that it can be done. And thats a good thing. In practicality, it may be easier than it appears.

At least try it !

5. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

If it's anything like Logic, you'll need to create wav files. MP3s are so compressed and nearly impossible to sync up next to a click.

6. asatbender

Wow, I actually got it to work.

Alamo likes this.
  7. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I do two things:
    First, just using a metronome app with tap tempo, I try to get a close approximation of the tempo bpm while listening to the track.

Second, in a new Reaper project set the bpm to that. Import the 'item' (wav or mp3), zoom in and align a drum hit to a beat division, and scroll around to see how it looks for other beats. Adjust the bpm (lower right of the track area) and try again.

I think there's a way to have it not rescale the audio when changing the bpm, but last time it was just as quick to delete and reimport it.

After two or three tries I usually get it. Note that older songs not done to a click or snapped to grid will vary in tempo throughout (which I think is good, but a discussion for another day! ).

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Try collaborating in bandlab.. can set a click/tempo..

9. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

If I have a track I don't know the tempo of I stick it into Riffstation.

Rarely required though because we roll our own

beagle likes this.
  10. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It's dead simple and takes no time at all, once you know how. It's also simple to change the meter, including transitions, using simple markers.

Alamo likes this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Somebody ran one of my tracks through that to try to work out the timing and chords. They wasted a whole week before just simply asking me...

12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Watch the video I posted. It's really very simple .

13. T Prior

I would agree, however, not everyone using a DAW or ANY software for that matter , view the workflow or routines in the same way.

To many, this is simple, to others this is just way over the top

We cannot just assume that everyone has the same software understanding.

As stated, "ONCE YOU KNOW IT" - well theres the bug-a- boo right there

Once we finally learn the "Mud On The Tires" solo, then its easy !

14. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The guitar itself is an object of mystical proportions until you find out that you have to learn to play it. Everything has a learning curve, I prefer to think that if people want to learn, they will.

If somebody asks how to do something, I point them in the direction of a tutorial. After that, it's up to them.

T Prior likes this.
  15. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

More than once I've read through manuals or tutorials thinking WTH are they even talking about? :confused: following the instructions anyway, it usually worked.
    the next encounter with the same or similar context, it clicks...oh yeah. been there, done that. next. :)

suthol, beagle and T Prior like this.
  16. SRHmusic

Thanks, I didn't have time til now to watch. The Reaper videos are great. So two key things here: one is the setting for the track to use absolute time, and the other is the way to stretch the bpm using a time marker. Very nice. (Not sure I'll remember the key strokes next time I do this, but the method is clear and that's enough to get back to it. )

Alamo and beagle like this.
  17. T Prior

Start your own manual, write stuff down ! Take notes ! Thats what those .59 cent spiral notebooks are for. :)

Alamo and beagle like this.
  18. SRHmusic

Well, yes, of course. Keeping everything organized to find it under the stacks of charts, lead sheets, other notes, etc. is the hard part! I tend to keep notes like this on the computer in simple text files or in Google docs. Sometimes Googling something is even easier, hence my comment that just knowing that the capability exists is good enough. Reaper lets us search the hot keys and redefine them, too. Though you have to figure out what they call things. Very powerful software, especially for the price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.