Reaper convert and great tutorials!

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by KCKC, Aug 11, 2019.

1. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

I've been recording with different DAWs off and on for the past 10 years. All very basic,e entry level stuff. But was never really happy with the sound I was getting.

I was using studio one and so wanted to like it, understood how it worked was pretty comfortable with it, Again,I was never really happy with my sound...

Then i tried reaper... I've used reaper before but now I am a convert! I don't know why? Maybe it's the interface, I honestly thought it sounded better to my ears but that's silly as it's all digital. And if there was a difference I don't think I am schooled enough to hear it.

The other thing I found was reapermania on YouTube. Kenny Gioia! Does a great video tutorial series on recording your band in reaper. He really breaks it down and I find them easy to understand and implement.

Nothing's too long. They average about 12 minutes a section I've learned so much already that my sound is starting to improve!

Just wanted to put it out there if anybody else is starting out and looking for some great tutorials in reaper.

KC

Steve 78, cyclopean and suthol like this.
  2. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I just started experimenting with Reaper since they have Linux builds now, and it's what all the cool kids are using. Took me forever to figure out how to connect an input to a track, which put me off a bit; I like out-of-the-box intuitiveness. At least it's better than Tracktion in that regard. It doesn't support LV2 plugins, which is about half of my plugin collection, but there are ways around that. I'll take a look at the videos you mentioned. Should be interesting at least...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq297H7Ca98HlB5mVFHGSsQ

3. Jonburst

Jonburst TDPRI Member

Thanks for that recommendation, I've sent that channel link to my GF, she's busy starting out recording (using Reaper cause it's what I use), laying down keyboard tracks.
    It can be frustrating starting out in DAW's, and Reaper can do some crazy things if you're not careful.
    So this might help (and minimize me having to step in as much, lol).

4. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I love it

I even bought it after some time testing it. I thing is the only legal program I use ;)

5. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I've been using Reaper since V3, more than happy to pay the petty cash every couple of years as it moves through versions, my next payment will be the migration from V6 to V7 whenever that may happen.

Hopefully I'll still be around when the time comes

KCKC likes this.
  6. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

There are a ton of good Reaper videos that Kenny has done. These are on the Reaper website (also on YouTube), see here...

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#5efick6yJA4

Although these videos are Reaper specific, they also include lots of good general recording techniques.

7. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

I started using Reaper years ago because I liked the underdog vibe. Since that time, some of the features have grown to simply outclass the other major DAWs in many ways. It's got the best routing of anything I can think of, and that matters to me. It's flexible, and it comes with plugins that enable one to really, truly do an "only stock plugins" mix if you so choose - though you'd have to find a reverb impulse for ReaVerb.

I also recommend the Reaper Blog youtube channel. I find that gentleman's tutorials a little easier to digest. They're not quite as basic as Kenny G, but they don't have his halting speech cadence either. I can't handle the pause between every sentence thing that he does. It's an incredible minor quibble, but a lot of the stuff he covers is covered on Reaper Blog too.

If you haven't gone down the web interface rabbit hole yet, I recommend it. Controlling Reaper from my tablet while I'm tracking myself is a godsend.

8. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

It's a great DAW. Very affordably priced and runs well even on older machines because it isn't as heavy on resources as some DAWs. Plus it works well with lots of free VST plugs. The online tutorials and support are also deep.

9. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

That's pretty interesting and way beyond my technical know-how right now.

But I'm enjoying my time. Have to rearrange my recording desk because I sit at the desk where I can use keyboard look at the screen but then I simply turn 90 degreeused to record any acoustic guitar and vocals. and while I'm happy with the sound. I think I'm still picking up some fan noise from my PC which is on the desk.

KC

10. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

These vids are very helpful. I’ve had Reaper for several years, but never got the hang of editing. Sounds great, simple recording process. May have to try it again, as Avid seems flakier than home made biscuits right now, Cubase just not cutting it, Logic will always be a mystery...

11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've been using Reaper since 2.something, it must be around 12 years now. It just gets better every update.

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Reaper fan her too.. Fully paid up. IT’S THAT GOOD!

I use it with DAW control remote on an iPad. Main recording PC has an nice big ultra wide screen extra display which is great for editing.

Some neat skins for it too.

wildschwein likes this.
  13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Got an iPad or spare web device? You can set a remote.

The instructions to set it up in help. My ‘DAW control’ app found it straight away.

6C93AC50-3B12-4816-B7DC-7FE7D720980F.png
    AB2A95CC-30F3-40A1-89B7-AF493B5500C6.png

beagle and wildschwein like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.